Veteran Member

Some of today

12-22-2012, 11:26 PM - 1 Like   #1202
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New Sony 10-18mm f4 ultra wide zoom lens:

This is a panorama stitch:
12-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #1203

Great pics Emacs and Chris. I love atmosphere you create in those pics Emacs--very post apocalyptic ;-)

Chris what do you think of the UWA?
12-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #1204
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joelR Quote
Chris what do you think of the UWA?
To be honest, I don't really like it that much. It's kinda soft, and lacks punch. Maybe I will warm up to it, but after the amazement at the incredible image quality of the 35mm f1.8 (honestly, this lens will compare more than favourably with the Leica Summicron 35mm - which I also own - side by side comparisons show that it is sharper in the centre and with similar contrast and colour vibrance) - the UWA is somewhat pedestrian.

However, I am not sure that it is possible to manufacture a good quality UWA zoom, so maybe it's as good as they go. I don't usually buy zooms, so I don't know.

12-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #1205
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
To be honest, I don't really like it that much. It's kinda soft, and lacks punch. Maybe I will warm up to it, but after the amazement at the incredible image quality of the 35mm f1.8 (honestly, this lens will compare more than favourably with the Leica Summicron 35mm - which I also own - side by side comparisons show that it is sharper in the centre and with similar contrast and colour vibrance) - the UWA is somewhat pedestrian.

However, I am not sure that it is possible to manufacture a good quality UWA zoom, so maybe it's as good as they go. I don't usually buy zooms, so I don't know.
The lens may not be perfect but the images are still well framed and processed. I always enjoy your style. How does it compare to the Sigma 8-16?

Emacs, excellent shots. 1 and 3 are exceptional.
12-24-2012, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #1206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
The lens may not be perfect but the images are still well framed and processed. I always enjoy your style. How does it compare to the Sigma 8-16?
Thank you - I have never used the Sigma so can't offer any comment.

Took the UWA out to the city for some architecture shots. The sharpness improves a lot if the lens is stopped down - I suspect this is an "f8 and be there" kind of lens.

12-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #1207
Veteran Member

Took the UWA out to the city for some architecture shots. The sharpness improves a lot if the lens is stopped down - I suspect this is an "f8 and be there" kind of lens.
Looks ok to me. Honestly I'd probably shoot a lens like this stopped down anyway so it possibly being a bit soft wide open wouldn't matter to me.

12-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #1208
Veteran Member

Merry Christmas everyone!

5N/M-Rokkor 90/4 @ f/11
12-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #1209
Veteran Member

freeform sculpture

Another visit to Clover Island Marina. I missed shooting this the last time I was there. 5N/CV50 @f/8. More on my blog.

12-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #1210
Veteran Member

Happy Xmas Bimjo, and all our other NEXites!
12-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #1211

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Some of today

Scanning through the last page of the thread today, I was struck again by the gritty feel of these pics Emacs. That doesn't always seem to be your style but you pull it off so well.

Bimjo: I really love the colors and isolation on the last shot. You've got some other good ones on your blog but this is definitely my favorite. Looking at the series it seemed that you tried several things before settling on this composition. I didn't check the EXIF information but is that true?
12-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #1212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Happy Xmas Bimjo, and all our other NEXites!
Thanks, and Happy Holidays to you too!

QuoteOriginally posted by joelR Quote
Scanning through the last page of the thread today, I was struck again by the gritty feel of these pics Emacs. That doesn't always seem to be your style but you pull it off so well.

Bimjo: I really love the colors and isolation on the last shot. You've got some other good ones on your blog but this is definitely my favorite. Looking at the series it seemed that you tried several things before settling on this composition. I didn't check the EXIF information but is that true?
Thanks Joel.

Yes I was playing around with the M-Rokkor 90 and the CV50 to see which perspective I liked better, both on these and the statue shots. It's a toss up for me which of these I like better. Initially I liked the one with the small building in the background, but this one is growing on me more as time goes by.

I have some other shots of different things that came after the sun went down that I'll finish up and post later.
12-29-2012, 10:16 AM - 3 Likes   #1213
Veteran Member

Some excellent urban abstracts there Christine. The lens obviously worth having, for interior shots like that. Looking at some of the other shots (e.g. the skyline shots) I suspect the Sigma 8-16mm might have been a little better but what an awkward package it would be with the adapter.

Anyway here's my Christmas offering, with the NEX-3 and Pentax 85/2:

12-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #1214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Some excellent urban abstracts there Christine. The lens obviously worth having, for interior shots like that. Looking at some of the other shots (e.g. the skyline shots) I suspect the Sigma 8-16mm might have been a little better but what an awkward package it would be with the adapter.

Anyway here's my Christmas offering, with the NEX-3 and Pentax 85/2:
Wow - fantastic shot - thanks for the feedback on the Sigma.
12-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #1215
Veteran Member

Can someone guess what lens this is (hint: it's a Leica, it shows quite a lot of cola and flare wide open, but is pretty sharp when stopped a little) - I bought it just before Xmas - incredible swirly bokeh