Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 779 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #1306
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Interesting observations, hinman.
I would also recommend Yongnuo yn-560 flashes for this task (both first and second version, I would even recommend first one, I prefer LED indicators over LCD in the second version): they are very simple and have instant access to all parameters.
Thanks for your suggestion. Had I not bought two Nikon SB25 flashes, I would definitely get the Yongnuo 560 as it has 1/128 manual setting and with the optical slave mode, it is more flexible. I may still get the Yongnuo as I progress in learning more with flash. With the Nikon SB25, it does have the auto flash mode that the Yongnuo is missing. In auto flash mode with a single flash, the Nikon SB25 can be used in a pinch with the Pentax digital body and sometime auto-mode beats the PTTL in exposure.

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Some great posts Hinman. I like all the photos and thanks for the tips. I bought a different setup with the trigger built in. I didn't notice these until afterwards, but it would be great to use my cactus v5s, rather than selling them.
Thank you for your kind words. The Wansen does have a version with the trigger built-in. I prefer to get one without so that I can re-use the Cactus v5 and sometimes I prefer to use a simple wired setup through the standard hot shoe. And I am currently sharing the setup between my Pentax digital and Sony NEX bodies with Cactus v5. The cactus is pretty reliable in triggering but a wired setup can't be beaten as I sometime ran into mistakes in draining batteries in the Cactus transmitter/receiver or have mis-matched channels. It is too-easy to bump the channel setting in the Cactus to mis-match between receiver and transmitter and forget about switching the terminals to off after usage. Hence, I also have a wired setup.

Last edited by hinman; 02-20-2013 at 09:44 AM.
02-20-2013, 10:14 PM - 2 Likes   #1307
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few months back, I came up on a wildfire in central Wyoming. I've just got around to processing them.

Luckily I had two cameras along. I had a Nex 5n with my Tair 3 300mm F4.5 Preset mounted to it and my D600 with a 50mm F1.8G lens.

It was near sunset and the low light, with the very heavy smoke made for some somewhat difficult photography. The fully manual Tair 3 didn't make it any easier

Hope you like them.

02-24-2013, 08:53 PM - 2 Likes   #1308
Banned

I left the friendly folks here almost two years ago and went to Nikon. Well I'm dropping the Nikon and going fully to the Nex system with a Nex7. I'm loving being able to use all of the old pentax glass with it.

And it gives me an excuse to hang out with you fine folks again..

I've owned quite a few lenses in the last few years including some of the limiteds and some fine Nikon zooms. I think that the SIgma 19 & 30 are as sharp as those lenses. Not quite the color pop but they still blow my mind.

But this one doesn't show the performance. I just liked the look of this one right out of the camera on monochrome mode. Too shallow DOF and terrible light actually worked IMHO.

Then I got home and saw a little bluebird in a redbud. Went in and grabbed my old Takumar 200F4. The Nex7 should not be considered a camera as much as it is a digital back..

02-26-2013, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #1309
Veteran Member

Colorado, VaughnA, good shots!

02-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #1310
Veteran Member

Colorado, VaughnA, good shots!

Very nice Emacs. For some reason I could see these at work today.

Edit: Briefly, they're gone now.
02-26-2013, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #1311
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Very nice Emacs. For some reason I could see these at work today.

Edit: Briefly, they're gone now.
Thank you!

Panorama view from my current apartment (7 shots taken with 50mm stitched, clickable):

Last edited by Emacs; 02-27-2013 at 02:36 AM.
02-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #1312
Veteran Member

Thank you!

Panorama view from my current apartment (7 shots taken with 50mm stitched):
Wow, nice again. I imagine there must be a lot of artifacts if you pixel peep, with all those long exposures stitched, but it's an amazing photograph.

Fortunately, your image host is temporarily available for me to view again.

02-27-2013, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #1313

Nothing glaringly obvious at this resolution. It is a great panorama. I really like the abstract shapes you found in the earlier pictures Emacs.

Also, welcome back (?) Vaughn and Colorado those helicopter shots are pretty amazing. It is incredible what you can do with that MF telephoto lens.
02-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #1314
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joelR Quote
It is incredible what you can do with that MF telephoto lens.
indeed
02-27-2013, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #1315
Banned

Great Shots Emacs (although I'm better with vi).. Love the sky shot..

All I have to say after tonight is I'm not regretting switching to the Nex. Went to see my absolute favorite musical artist James McMurtry tonight in Roanoke Va. He's the best songwriter around IMHO. Took my Nex7 and my MD 50 1.4. Sitting on the 4th row, these are right out of the camera jpegs.

03-02-2013, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #1316
Veteran Member

03-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #1317
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
Great Shots Emacs (although I'm better with vi).. Love the sky shot..

All I have to say after tonight is I'm not regretting switching to the Nex. Went to see my absolute favorite musical artist James McMurtry tonight in Roanoke Va. He's the best songwriter around IMHO. Took my Nex7 and my MD 50 1.4. Sitting on the 4th row, these are right out of the camera jpegs.

Nice shots, maybe a touch too warm on the first? Looks like he's got a pretty famous dad, but I've never heard of him before. I'll give him a listen.
03-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #1318
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I left the friendly folks here almost two years ago and went to Nikon. Well I'm dropping the Nikon and going fully to the Nex system with a Nex7. I'm loving being able to use all of the old pentax glass with it.

And it gives me an excuse to hang out with you fine folks again..

I've owned quite a few lenses in the last few years including some of the limiteds and some fine Nikon zooms. I think that the SIgma 19 & 30 are as sharp as those lenses. Not quite the color pop but they still blow my mind.

But this one doesn't show the performance. I just liked the look of this one right out of the camera on monochrome mode. Too shallow DOF and terrible light actually worked IMHO.

Then I got home and saw a little bluebird in a redbud. Went in and grabbed my old Takumar 200F4. The Nex7 should not be considered a camera as much as it is a digital back..
Vaughn, the bluebird pics are super, but what really caught my eye was the car in the B&W shot. Is that a Ponton? Late 1950s Mercedes? Pretty unusual to run across those in the wild!
03-03-2013, 08:30 PM - 3 Likes   #1319
Veteran Member

Couple of shots from today's hike. The wind was blowing probably 50 m.p.h. at times.

I always shoot RAW, but thought I'd try out the Rich BW setting this one time.

Shot with an old Soviet M39 Industar 61

03-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #1320
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Couple of shots from today's hike. The wind was blowing probably 50 m.p.h. at times.

I always shoot RAW, but thought I'd try out the Rich BW setting this one time.

Shot with an old Soviet M39 Industar 61

I've never tried any of the in camera stuff, but it looks like they do a pretty decent job with this setting. The scenery and composition help, of course.