03-06-2013, 03:51 AM - 2 Likes   #1323
Veteran Member

Nice shots, pilgrimingvine

Another panorama from me (5x3 shots)
03-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #1324
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Need opinions:
I'm having the ultra-wide itch, looking to get one for my K-5, but hell the price is no less than $300. Yet, I have a Nex and its 16mm lens and I love doing landscapes with that setup. Now, would not it be fitting if I bought the VCL-ECU1 for about $100 instead?

03-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #1325
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
Need opinions:
I'm having the ultra-wide itch, looking to get one for my K-5, but hell the price is no less than $300. Yet, I have a Nex and its 16mm lens and I love doing landscapes with that setup. Now, would not it be fitting if I bought the VCL-ECU1 for about $100 instead?
Christine had some great photos with that combo earlier in the thread. The 16 + ECU1 compares favorably to the CSV 12mm/5.6 at equivalent apertures.
03-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #1326
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Nice shots, pilgrimingvine

Another panorama from me (5x3 shots)
Your panos are pretty amazing Emacs. Your last one has to rank as one of my favorite photos from you ever, this one is quite good as well. Perhaps you should give us all a tutorial.
03-09-2013, 06:45 AM - 4 Likes   #1327
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I received my collection of G Series lenses for my Nex7 this week (28,45 and 90) and have been playing with them when possible. When possible has been a quick run out to the garden during my lunch hour at home. Not even sure which lens did what at this point. Hope to get some time with them this weekend.

So far I'm happy with the focusing system considering how it is a bit of a kludge. But the quality of the lenses and the glow and bokeh give me a happy. Not great shots but they give me an indication of the possibilities when I have time to get out and shoot. It's a bit of a pain to use cornerfix on the 28 shots but well worth the effort in the end.

Little Trike in the Snow

Little Trike a day later....

03-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #1328
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I received my collection of G Series lenses for my Nex7 this week (28,45 and 90) and have been playing with them when possible. When possible has been a quick run out to the garden during my lunch hour at home. Not even sure which lens did what at this point. Hope to get some time with them this weekend.

So far I'm happy with the focusing system considering how it is a bit of a kludge. But the quality of the lenses and the glow and bokeh give me a happy. Not great shots but they give me an indication of the possibilities when I have time to get out and shoot. It's a bit of a pain to use cornerfix on the 28 shots but well worth the effort in the end.

Little Trike in the Snow

Little Trike a day later....

The Contax lenses are quite good. I'd love to get the 90(I have the 28 and 45), but it's hard to justify when I have the Canon FD 85/1.2. That's quite a photogenic tricycle. I picked the 5N over the 7 because of the corner issues, but I am jealous of the resolution that the 7 can produce.
03-09-2013, 09:18 AM - 2 Likes   #1329
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
a nice visit from a friend at lunch yesterday. played around with strong back light and built in flash on NEX 7.

03-09-2013, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #1330
Veteran Member

Some more with the Sigma 30/2.8. I've posted too many to be in good taste, but I have trouble editing. More on my flickr.

03-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #1331
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pilgrimingvine Quote
a nice visit from a friend at lunch yesterday. played around with strong back light and built in flash on NEX 7.

A nice experiment. She has a warm, endearing and fun smile. I bought the upgraded flash for my 5N for just such scenarios. You have way more options with the 7, but the on-board seems better than the default 5N flash(which is too harsh).
03-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #1332
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Your panos are pretty amazing Emacs. Your last one has to rank as one of my favorite photos from you ever, this one is quite good as well. Perhaps you should give us all a tutorial.
TY for kind words. Well, I can give several advices.
0.1) It's best to have panorama head, but it is quite expensive and large, so I don't have one.
0.2) Tripod is almost a must for low light panos (as for low light shooting in general)
1) Same shutter speed, sensor sensitivity and white balance should be used for each shot.
2) Vignetting should be corrected to 0 during PP in order to avoid areas of variable brightness (you can notice it on my last pano — I don't have a profile for this lens)
3) Each image in pano should be processed in exactly the same way in order to avoid color/brightness/etc mismatch
4) Software to use: I can recommend PTGui or AutoPano. Personally, I'm using PTGui.

Some tips:
1) When shooting night with sodium lightning it's better to lower color temperature.
2) Again, when shooting night in cities, the sky is usually overly illuminated. Increase contrast while preserving highlights — it gives more pleasing/natural look.
3) Don't be afraid to "overcover" the subject — the more information you'll get, the better. The only possible drawback is lightning difference between shots.
4) Crop heavily — with panos you typically have much room for this. But don't rely on rule of thirds much while cropping. Artists usually use rule of golden sections in painting. My expirience shows they have a reason. Although I'm just trying to get satisfactory look
5) Get more RAM. 8Gb is a minimum. Use quad core processor.

Other tips I could give are too software specific — I'm using DxO Optics Pro and DxO FilmPack.

Last edited by Emacs; 03-10-2013 at 01:20 AM.
03-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #1333
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
A nice experiment. She has a warm, endearing and fun smile. I bought the upgraded flash for my 5N for just such scenarios. You have way more options with the 7, but the on-board seems better than the default 5N flash(which is too harsh).
I have a HVL-F20AM. But I didn't have it with me yesterday. What I wish I had with me was a ND filter.
03-10-2013, 01:07 AM - 3 Likes   #1334
Veteran Member

Pano again
03-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #1335
Veteran Member

I have not been keeping up lately, but I have to say- you guys are posting some great shots. Well done all!