Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #1576

QuoteOriginally posted by DanielT74 Quote
This is meant to be a fabulous lens, Michelek, I wonder if there was any CA in the water spray shots? Nice images you are getting out of it!!

You should get a dSLR body to go with it. In a moment of weakness I got a bargain priced D600 which is certainly a brilliant camera and since I already had 7 Nikon mount lenses (that I've been using through the speed booster in the NEX) it kind of made sense.

For the NEXters who miss the big camera feel, I am blown away by the D600.
Yes, indeed it's a wonderful lens. There is a bit of CA on contrasty edges, but far less than the Planar 85 mm f/1.4. Also I was using the LA-EA2 adapter and the translucent mirror is supposed to add some CA...
I plan to buy a used Sony A850 just to use it with this lens. I had this camera some time ago and the IQ on the lower ISO speeds is excellent. Unfortunately the Sonnar won't fit the D600 ;-) But I was considering a Nikon D600 + 200 mm f/2 combo once, the only problem is a price of such a set...

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Michelek, love your street portraits!
Thank, Emacs! :-)
You've done some really nice work with the FA77, too :-)

06-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #1577
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Quick baby snap using the Lens Turbo and 50/1.7.

Uncropped version here.
06-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #1578
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Typical ones from me. I was playing with fresh DxO FilmPack 4, so the PP can be a bit questionable.

Nice shots, I am not sure I like the aging effect, but what do you think of Filmpack 4 so far?
06-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #1579
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Quick baby snap using the Lens Turbo and 50/1.7.

Uncropped version here.
Looking good, ihasa. I hope to get my hands on an adapter soon. Most people on this forum seem to be happy with theirs.

06-09-2013, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #1580
Veteran Member

Loving this little box, can't wait to get some vintage glass in front of it!

NEX-5N, Sony PZ 16-50mm
06-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #1581

A very nice shot, Rob :-)
The 16-50PZ is actually better than I expected, at least my copy is.
06-10-2013, 03:11 AM   #1582
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 16-50 is coming up at some tempting prices now (unboxed from NEX-6 kits). It looks okay too. I'd love to see more samples to pixel-peep.

06-10-2013, 05:18 AM   #1583

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
The 16-50 is coming up at some tempting prices now (unboxed from NEX-6 kits). It looks okay too. I'd love to see more samples to pixel-peep.
I'm starting an NX300 consumer test and I'll be comparing the Samsung kit lens with the PZ16-50, so by the end of the week I hope to have a bunch of real life samples. If you can wait that long ;-) I'm going to put them on my FTP and share the link here.
06-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #1584

I swapped my old kit 18-55mm for the PZ and find that it is at least as good. In fact I got rid of the 16mm pancake too. My only complaint is that Aperture (my RAW converter of choice) doesn't do distortion correction and the PZ has that in spades. However, the distortion is very basic as opposed to the SEL16 and old kit lens which had a much harder to correct mustache style distortion. Personally I feel it still doesn't come close to my Contax G lenses stopped down to similar apertures but the image quality for the size and convenience is great and the zoom rocker is surprisingly useful for a snapshot lens.
06-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #1585
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michelek Quote
I'm starting an NX300 consumer test and I'll be comparing the Samsung kit lens with the PZ16-50, so by the end of the week I hope to have a bunch of real life samples. If you can wait that long ;-) I'm going to put them on my FTP and share the link here.
That's exciting, to be selected for that. I hear the AF is not as good as the NEX PDAF, but better than the EOS-M. I'd be interested to hear from you about that.

QuoteOriginally posted by joelR Quote
I swapped my old kit 18-55mm for the PZ and find that it is at least as good. In fact I got rid of the 16mm pancake too. My only complaint is that Aperture (my RAW converter of choice) doesn't do distortion correction and the PZ has that in spades. However, the distortion is very basic as opposed to the SEL16 and old kit lens which had a much harder to correct mustache style distortion. Personally I feel it still doesn't come close to my Contax G lenses stopped down to similar apertures but the image quality for the size and convenience is great and the zoom rocker is surprisingly useful for a snapshot lens.
The lens is not bad at all, but the distortion is very heavy. Does Aperture allow you to manually correct, but has no profiles? Can you save a user profile? I would think it a necessity with this lens.

For some reason, when I tried the lens on my 5N, I didn't like the results, and I switched it back to the 18-55, but it works great with my 6. Maybe I'm just crazy. I did upgrade the firmware awhile back, when they came out with the AF improvements for the 5N.

Contax G lenses are exceptional. I really want to buy the 90(have the 45 and the 28), but it's too redundant in my lineup, and now the prices are creeping up.
06-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #1586
Veteran Member

I mainly use the SOOC JPEGs, although I think the NR is fairly heavy-handed.

The RAWs I put through DxO Optics Pro 7, which does a fantastic job, before importing into Aperture.

i think the PZ16-50 is an ideal walkaround lens - for me the convenience and size outweigh the fact it isn't the sharpest lens on the market. It's far from bad though, same expectations that I have of the Pentax 18-55WR...
06-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #1587
HSV
Veteran Member

I've just recently started playing with the NEX system...got myself a NEX 6 with the 1650, Sigma 19, and 30.

I have used a NEX F3 with the kit lens, and so far, I believe that the kit lens is slightly better than the 1650 (if you're picky about it), but the 1650 is pretty decent in its own right. I bought the NEX 6 to get a highly portable system with a decent low light performance, so far it's meeting this criteria very well. It's definitely not up to K-5 standards, but it's close enough.

For me, the in-built flash is a highly useful function in this camera only because it can allow upward bounce in landscape position. Unlike the Pentax system, I don't have to travel around with speedlights or attachments to get ceiling bounce.

As of right now, I feel that the only weakness of the NEX system is the lack of a telephoto prime and a long macro prime. Something like a stabilized 70 macro should be perfect.

Can't wait for that PK lens turbo to arrive.
06-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #1588
HSV
Veteran Member

One question...probably it's a very basic one, but I'd appreciate if somebody would clarify this for me.

It seems that my NEX 6 is constantly focusing...even when I'm not half pressing the shutter release or any button at all. I have it set on AF-S, center point AF, DMF mode, and PDAF enabled.

Is this behavior normal? Can it be disabled in order to save some power?
06-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #1589
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HSV Quote
One question...probably it's a very basic one, but I'd appreciate if somebody would clarify this for me.

It seems that my NEX 6 is constantly focusing...even when I'm not half pressing the shutter release or any button at all. I have it set on AF-S, center point AF, DMF mode, and PDAF enabled.

Is this behavior normal? Can it be disabled in order to save some power?
To answer your questions in order: Yes. No. Because Sony realizes that Contrast Detect AF is much slower than Phase Detect AF they hedge their bet by constantly bumping the AF to keep AF lock-on time to something sort of palatable for most folks.

The best you can do is turn the camera off when you're moving between shooting situations. And carry extra batteries.
06-11-2013, 07:32 AM - 3 Likes   #1590
Veteran Member

Howdy folks! Some recent efforts with the NEX-5n, the little beauty that is far from becoming obsolete, IMO.