Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 779 Likes Search this Thread
08-11-2013, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #1831
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Some shots with the SuperTak 35mm f/3.5 wide open with the NEX 5N this morning with the Konica AR setup that I talked about in previous page

From top to bottom
M42 lens -> M42 to Konica AR adapter (sliver adapter) -> Konicar AR to NEX -> NEX 5N

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 08-11-2013 at 03:22 PM.
08-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #1832
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I want to share with you a way that I find more pleasing in adapting M42 lenses on NEX. Here is a picture of two adapters

Left: regular M42 to NEX
Right: Konica AR to NEX + M42 to Konicar AR adapter

The two may end up to be about the same height but I find the Konica AR setup to be much handy in NEX and the setup match well for my focusing style with small m42 lenses as in takumar and Russian pancake.

In preparation with Lens Turbo, I just got my SuperTak 35mm f/3.5 and here is how it looks

And a similar setup with Russian Industar 50-2 50mm f/3.5, an M42 pancake

The M42 to Konica AR adapter can be found in ebay but I just take a look in ebay it is priced crazily in the $80. I paid about $30.00 and it turns M42 lenses for Konica AR mount allowing me to use the smaller Konica AR to NEX adapter.

Cheers,
Hin
Thanks Hin,

I have a Helios that rubs against the K-mount adapter. I wonder if this would fix my problem.
08-12-2013, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #1833
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These three were taken with the NEX-6 and Pentax lenses.

First, with the Pentax-M 200/4. I've found this lens to be not too hot wide open, but this was (I think) at f/8 and it looks pretty good after a run through Lightroom. What do you think?

Next, from inside the (spectacular) aquarium, this was taken with (what else?) the 10-17 Fisheye at around f/8-f/11.

I like this lens on my K30, but for the NEX, I'm thinking of picking up the K 17/4 Fisheye because it's so much more compact. That, and the Lens Turbo should be an awesome combo. Anyone doing this already?

Finally, what's turning out to be my favorite lens so far, the Pentax-M 100/2.8. Super-tiny, and super sharp even at f/2.8! This is stopped down a bit, though. Also, this was taken through glass. I'll have to search for one that wasn't taken through a barrier later on.

Cheers!!
08-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #1834
Veteran Member

That is a handsome rhino. Something about the aquarium lighting they use helps make interesting jellyfish photos. It seems to be consistent. My jelly photos have those same colors.

Why don't you buy hps3's Rokinon 8mm? It is a terrific lens, even satisfying Emac's discerning tastes.

Last edited by kenafein; 08-12-2013 at 08:29 PM.
08-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #1835

Jcdoss, I think the shots look great.

Thanks kenafein for the reference. The Rokinon 2.8 fisheye is just awesome. Small, light and crazy sharp even wide open. I keep lowering the price with no bites.I don't get it because it's one of the Nex best lenses if you want a UWA/FE.
08-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #1836
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hps3 Quote
Jcdoss, I think the shots look great.

Thanks kenafein for the reference. The Rokinon 2.8 fisheye is just awesome. Small, light and crazy sharp even wide open. I keep lowering the price with no bites.I don't get it because it's one of the Nex best lenses if you want a UWA/FE.
It's a good reason for you to grab another NEX.
08-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #1837

Some shots with the SuperTak 35mm f/3.5 wide open with the NEX 5N this morning with the Konica AR setup that I talked about in previous page

Cheers,
Hin
These make me miss my 35mm f3.5. I loved that lens. Not super fast by today's standards but great even wide open and I loved the way it worked with my NEX. Sadly it didn't get much use after I got the Sigma 30mm and I felt I had to sell it. I hope the buyer appreciated the little gem.

JCdoss, I love the pics. A little surprised you don't like the M-200mm, I had the M42 version and really liked it although its been a long time since I sold it so maybe my memory has become a little gold leafed of late. I personally don't use telephotos that often.

08-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #1838
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joelR Quote
JCdoss, I love the pics. A little surprised you don't like the M-200mm, I had the M42 version and really liked it although its been a long time since I sold it so maybe my memory has become a little gold leafed of late. I personally don't use telephotos that often.
I don't hate it. I just think it's fairly disappointing wide open, and doesn't improve much until at least f/8. They're cheap and plentiful enough at KEH, though, that the thought occured to me to buy a second one and see if there's any difference. EX+ ones are around $60. Mine was also EX+, and it's very fun to use.. I just with the output was better.

I've got a bad case of LBA right now. Thinking of a faster 200mm, but I don't want to get into big and heavy again unless it's just really that necessary. Are there any good non-Pentax 200mm lenses at f/3.5 or faster worth considering?
08-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #1839
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I don't hate it. I just think it's fairly disappointing wide open, and doesn't improve much until at least f/8. They're cheap and plentiful enough at KEH, though, that the thought occured to me to buy a second one and see if there's any difference. EX+ ones are around $60. Mine was also EX+, and it's very fun to use.. I just with the output was better.

I've got a bad case of LBA right now. Thinking of a faster 200mm, but I don't want to get into big and heavy again unless it's just really that necessary. Are there any good non-Pentax 200mm lenses at f/3.5 or faster worth considering?
The Canon FD 200/2.8 is good and cheap. It also has a built in hood.
08-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #1840
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote

I prefer my Tamron Adaptall-2 200mm f/3.5 and Tamron Adaptall-2 135mm f/2.5 over the Pentax M equivalent. You can look up more in my blog page. The one caveat on the Tamron adaptall-2 is the use of P/k-A adapter which tends to be ~ $100 but that allows you for A setting for aperture which is important to me as I always prefer not to use the green button in MF lenses.

Tamron adaptall-2 200mm f/3.5 and K20D

Tamron adaptall-2 135mm f/2.5 and K-5

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 08-13-2013 at 08:30 AM.
08-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #1841
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joelR Quote
These make me miss my 35mm f3.5. I loved that lens. Not super fast by today's standards but great even wide open and I loved the way it worked with my NEX. Sadly it didn't get much use after I got the Sigma 30mm and I felt I had to sell it. I hope the buyer appreciated the little gem.

I love my Sigma 30mm old version so much that I now have the sibling copy of Sigma 19mm. I got the SuperTak 35mm for use with Lens Turbo in gaining back the FOV and hopefully some dependable gain of speed without too much loss on quality.

Lens Turbo with my choice of 24mm and 35mm, shot taken with Sigma 30mm f/2.8 plus Cosina 1:1 macro adapter -- a achromatic diopter

On the Sigma 30mm, I have a great lens hood to recommend if any of you plan to add a lens hood. This vented lens hood allow use with the original cap. With the vented hood, the Sigma 30mm looks better in aesthetic.

ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/380554941380

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 08-13-2013 at 08:56 AM.
08-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #1842
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
The Canon FD 200/2.8 is good and cheap. It also has a built in hood.
Does the FD to NEX adapter match up in size with the K to NEX adapter? Or is it smaller like the Konicar AR to NEX adapter. I want to know as I prefer smaller adapter.

Cheers,
Hin
08-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #1843
Veteran Member

Does the FD to NEX adapter match up in size with the K to NEX adapter? Or is it smaller like the Konicar AR to NEX adapter. I want to know as I prefer smaller adapter.

Cheers,
Hin
It's a little shorter than the K adapter and a bit longer than the Konica AR.
08-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #1844
Veteran Member

I love my Sigma 30mm old version so much that I now have the sibling copy of Sigma 19mm. I got the SuperTak 35mm for use with Lens Turbo in gaining back the FOV and hopefully some dependable gain of speed without too much loss on quality.

Lens Turbo with my choice of 24mm and 35mm, shot taken with Sigma 30mm f/2.8 plus Cosina 1:1 macro adapter -- a achromatic diopter

On the Sigma 30mm, I have a great lens hood to recommend if any of you plan to add a lens hood. This vented lens hood allow use with the original cap. With the vented hood, the Sigma 30mm looks better in aesthetic.

ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/380554941380

Cheers,
Hin
Thanks Hin,

I bought the hood. I've been meaning to find one for the Sigma.
08-14-2013, 04:12 AM   #1845

I prefer my Tamron Adaptall-2 200mm f/3.5 and Tamron Adaptall-2 135mm f/2.5 over the Pentax M equivalent. You can look up more in my blog page. The one caveat on the Tamron adaptall-2 is the use of P/k-A adapter which tends to be ~ $100 but that allows you for A setting for aperture which is important to me as I always prefer not to use the green button in MF lenses.

Tamron adaptall-2 200mm f/3.5 and K20D

Tamron adaptall-2 135mm f/2.5 and K-5

Cheers,
Hin
Hin, really like that second shot in particular. The lens turbo/speedbooster wasn't around when I sold my M42 35mm however I bet its a good pairing. The only negative to the 35mm was the amount of light it let in. It seems to retain its pleasant contrast and corner sharpness on the turbo and it isn't too big to boot!