Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 779 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #2011
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Took my trust NEX-5N and PZ16-50 for a walk earlier - still a great compact combo for pointing-and-shooting:

11-10-2013, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #2012

Showed you some gear, time for the pictures ;-)

An ILCE-3000 + Lens Turbo + Canon FD 500mm f/8 Mirror lens:

More photos and full-res pictures on my blog.

The lens is really sharp, in fact this is the sharpest mirror lens I've had - if you can get the focus right, of course. There is some of a corner vignette which can add to a picture - or not ;-)
I thisk the vignetting only occurs with the Lens Turbo, though I didn't have a chance to check it with a regular adapter.
11-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #2013
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SEL50F18

11-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #2014
Veteran Member

Nice images, all.

Michelek,

Did you get rid of your Rolleinar?

11-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #2015

Thanks, kenafein. No, I didn't get rid of it... yet ;-)
The Canon lens is much sharper than the Rollei lens, which is not bad at all for. On the other side, the Rolleinar has a nice MFD (1,5m while Canon offers 4 meters) and it's much smaller... Then again the Rolleinar is the only lens with QBM I'm using and I have a nice collection of FD lenses... Tough choice it it I must admit :-)

Nice shots Christine, I like them both!
11-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #2016

Nice shots! Rob & Mich I think I like the 3rd shot in both series the best. Chris the lace texture is is really nice in B/W
11-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #2017
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by joelR Quote
Chris the lace texture is is really nice in B/W
It's not lace, it's a sculpture!

Here's another shot that makes it more clear:

11-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #2018

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
It's not lace, it's a sculpture!

Here's another shot that makes it more clear:
LOL! Even better! A credit to you and the sculpture
11-12-2013, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #2019

A3000+16-50PZ:

11-13-2013, 03:50 AM   #2020
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michelek Quote
Showed you some gear, time for the pictures ;-)

An ILCE-3000 + Lens Turbo + Canon FD 500mm f/8 Mirror lens:

More photos and full-res pictures on my blog.

The lens is really sharp, in fact this is the sharpest mirror lens I've had - if you can get the focus right, of course. There is some of a corner vignette which can add to a picture - or not ;-)
I thisk the vignetting only occurs with the Lens Turbo, though I didn't have a chance to check it with a regular adapter.
Very colorful image that you have. I have Tamron SP 500mm f/8.0 mirror in adaptall-2 mount and I have not used it much other than shooting the moon. It is refreshing to see how you put it to good use with beautiful color and subject isolation. I love the large donuts on the background on the 2nd last shot.

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-15-2013 at 02:04 AM.
11-13-2013, 04:02 AM   #2021
Veteran Member

A silly but serious question on Lens Turbo

I have not done any research on how Lens Turbo behaves with A7 or A7r. Does lens turbo work on A7/A7r? What happens to the focal reduction factor? And what happens to the gain of roughly 1 stop of light?

I love the form factor of the LT adapter, it is very similar to the size of Konica AR to NEX adapter. It is heavier but the shortened length works better for me for all of my K/M42 mount lenses. It will be quite odd if the focal reduction factor in 0.72 applies without the aps-c 1.5 factor. a 50mm becomes 36mm -- sweet. A 28mm becomes a 20mm -- just as sweet if not more. We can go on with more imaginative ways of lens planning. And if LT works, what are the caveats? Will we see 1.5 times HORRIBLE corners for the reverse karma in FE or do we have similar degradation in aps-c cameras?

All comments and thinking are welcome.

Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-13-2013 at 04:08 AM.
11-13-2013, 05:46 AM   #2022
Veteran Member

Hi Hin,

Lens Turbo like the Speedbooster is a telecompressor - it compresses the image circle from its original size (able to cover 35mm format) to APS-C format (able to cover the sensor on the NEX series). So on the new FF cameras, a lens with a Lens Turbo would act like an APS-C lens (one of the original E mounts), ie either vignette a great deal or of the software there recognizes it, use just the smaller part of the sensor which is pretty much equivalent to you cropping the vignetted bit out in PP.

Hope this made sense.
11-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #2023
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanielT74 Quote
Hi Hin,

Lens Turbo like the Speedbooster is a telecompressor - it compresses the image circle from its original size (able to cover 35mm format) to APS-C format (able to cover the sensor on the NEX series). So on the new FF cameras, a lens with a Lens Turbo would act like an APS-C lens (one of the original E mounts), ie either vignette a great deal or of the software there recognizes it, use just the smaller part of the sensor which is pretty much equivalent to you cropping the vignetted bit out in PP.

Hope this made sense.
Thanks for the valuable inputs. That makes sense. I think I can still use the LT in crop mode in FE camera but that very much defeat the purpose of FF. For M42 lenses, I have my own solution in trimming down the overall bulk of the adapter.

I have documented my method of turning M42 to Konica AR mount

M42 to Konica AR adapter in front
Konica AR to NEX adapter on back

Bulky M42 adapter ruined the Industar pancake

Industar 50-2 50mm f/3.5 pancake

Original M42 to NEX adapter vs the Konica AR combo

More detail in How To Adapt M42 on NEX. But for Pentax K, I don't have any method to trim down the adapter except the Lens Turbo.

Cheers,
Hin
11-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #2024

Thank you, Hin!

Unfortunetely I managed to damage my A3000 today just by using the Techart Contax G - NEX AF adapter. It needed some force to be mounted on the camera (it mounted much easier on my NEX-6). I did it once and it was OK but when I did it for the second time, the AF pin in the middle of the camera's mount must have been pressed to strongly and disappeared into the camera... So if anybody plans to use this adapter, please be careful and if it doesn't mount easili, do not use the force (Luke )!
11-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #2025
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michelek Quote
Thank you, Hin!

Unfortunetely I managed to damage my A3000 today just by using the Techart Contax G - NEX AF adapter. It needed some force to be mounted on the camera (it mounted much easier on my NEX-6). I did it once and it was OK but when I did it for the second time, the AF pin in the middle of the camera's mount must have been pressed to strongly and disappeared into the camera... So if anybody plans to use this adapter, please be careful and if it doesn't mount easili, do not use the force (Luke )!
That really hurts. I am very sorry to hear that. I was just checking out the TechArt Contax G to NEX adapter with AF support for the longer focal lens over 28mm. I saw a couple of posting even in SonyAlphaRumors but saw most users complaints about the adapter not working reliably I hope you get some 1st year warranty on your body. I wonder if A3000 is built not to the same quality as in NEX line.

I have great interest in the Contax G 90mm f/2.8 and 45mm f/2.0, they can easily be a good pair if the AF on techart can be improved , or if Metabones or other vendors can come with a better adapter for the EF mount. That can calm (or energize) the early adopters with more lens choices and with some support of AF. Do any of your Canon lenses do AF? And will you consider the LA-EA3 and LA-EA4 for alpha lenses. I wonder if LA-EA3 can work fast enough to best the LA-EA1 on minolta glasses with AF. Any inputs will jazz up the NEX club here.

And what is your take on the kit lens for A7 as I will like to pick up the kit lens when I am ready to get A7. Not this year -- my last word at the moment.

Cheers,
Hin