Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 779 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #2026
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I should have my bulky M42 to NEX adapter sitting next to my Industar 50-2 adapted as an AR lens for size comparison

an old photo of the M42 to NEX adapter which is a cylinder shape, quite bulky for use with the pancake

Left: Industar 50-2 pancake, M42 to Konicar AR adapter (silver), AR to NEX adapter
Right: Fujian 35mm f/1.7 in C mount

Shot with SuperTakumar 55mm f/1.8, lens turbo, cosina 1:1 adapter, nex 5n

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-14-2013 at 07:23 PM.
11-15-2013, 01:24 AM   #2027
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lyrebird (female):

The Three Sisters (artificially vignetted):

SEL1018F4:

Playing around with processing, two very different looks from the same scene:

11-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #2028

Thanks again, Hin. Sony gives 2 years of warranty in Poland but I'm afraid this won't count as a warranty repair.
Anyway, I'm a bit unwilling to use the Contax lenses with an AF adapter now, pity because the image quality is excellent and they're quite small. But having a good set of Canon FD lenses I will have to make some sacrifices and sell at least a part of other ones.
11-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #2029
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michelek Quote
Thanks again, Hin. Sony gives 2 years of warranty in Poland but I'm afraid this won't count as a warranty repair.
Anyway, I'm a bit unwilling to use the Contax lenses with an AF adapter now, pity because the image quality is excellent and they're quite small. But having a good set of Canon FD lenses I will have to make some sacrifices and sell at least a part of other ones.
Can you give 2 to 3 highly recommended Caon FD lenses? Is the FD 85mm f/1.8 worth consideration. How good is the FD 35mm f/2.0 or the FD 24mm f/2.0. I may list the wrong aperture and model. I sometime see the wording with SCC and are those with better coating? And if you have some minolta or Sony older alpha lenses with AF, will the LA-EA3 work with those on your upcoming A7r? I just have too many questions and they are meant for curiosity and my own planning for A7 with its kit lens 28-70mm.

Cheers,
Hin

11-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #2030

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
The Three Sisters (artificially vignetted):
I like this one. Do you have the "naturally vignetted" version?
11-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #2031

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Can you give 2 to 3 highly recommended Caon FD lenses? Is the FD 85mm f/1.8 worth consideration. How good is the FD 35mm f/2.0 or the FD 24mm f/2.0. I may list the wrong aperture and model. I sometime see the wording with SCC and are those with better coating? And if you have some minolta or Sony older alpha lenses with AF, will the LA-EA3 work with those on your upcoming A7r? I just have too many questions and they are meant for curiosity and my own planning for A7 with its kit lens 28-70mm.
Well... I'll start with some info on FD lenses.

S.S.C. stands for Super Spectra Coating and can be found on Canon FD lenses since 1970's (1973 IIRC). It replaced S.C. (Spectra Coating) and is used until nowadays, of course having been improved all the time.
Later Canon lenses were commonly called FDn (n=new), they had the same S.S.C. coating, it just wasn't marked on the lens. The FDn lenses are smaller and lighter than the S.S.C. lenses and therefore are told to be of inferior quality. I had a 35mm f/2.0 and a 50mm f/1.4 lenses in both variations and I hadn't spotted any differences in image quality. FDn lenses introduced a different mount (compatible with older bodies, though), which was closer to a classic bayonet mount than the previous breech lock used in older Canon lenses.

That's it for the introduction, now to the lenses I have/used to have. Please note that I mainly use them with the Lens Turbo adapter which lowers the Image Quality, especially in the corners (and more with wideangle lenses).

Recommended:
Canon FD 85mm f/1.2 S.S.C. - a beauty. Quite large and heavy but with excellent IQ. Lacks contrast a little bit at f/1.2 but it's very easy to repair in PP - if you want to, because images taken at full aperture are... really special. Sharp in the center even wide open, at f/2.8 the whole frame is sharp enough for me. Strongly recommended (this version or the later "L" one). My favourite manual lens.
Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 S.S.C. - a very nice lens, even though not nearly as sharp as the 85mm at f/1.2. The later Aspherical version is said to provide a better IQ but I haven't had it, so cannot confirm that. Still recommended.
Canon FD 35mm f/2.0 (S.S.C. or FDn) - a solid performer. The most wideangle lens I can use with the Lens Turbo for images sharp across the frame (at f/5.6 at least). I had both versions (S.S.C. and FDn) and sold the S.S.C. because it was bigger and heavier. But there are several S.S.C. versions and some are said to be better than others. Nevertheless, I'm happy with the FDn and I can honestly recommend it.
Canon FD 100mm f/2.8 S.S.C - a big surprise. I was looking for a 100mm f/2.0 lens and couldn't find one with a reasonable price. So i bought a 100mm f/2.8 one to try this focal lenght at least and... decided to keep it ;-) This lens is very sharp wide open, contrasty and at the same time not to big and heavy. Strongly recommended.
Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 Close Focus - a very simple design (just for elements) but delivering a very decent IQ even at f/2.8. Close focusing means an MFD of ca. 24" (60cm) and macro 1:2. I had an m42 version of this lens and loved it, so you can imagine how happy I was when I found a Canon FD version on the Polish auction portal for just $30 :-). Strongly recommended.

Other lenses:
Carl Zeiss Jena 24mm f/2.8 Macro - focuses down to 15cm or so (ca. 6") but the IQ is just average. Bought it of curiosity, now I'm happy it didn't kill the cat. Too expensive for what it's worth.
Canon FDn 28mm f/2.8 - it's not a bad lens, quite sharp but... boring ;-) And with the Lens Turbo edges and corners start to look decent only at f/11.
Canon FDn 35mm f/2.8 - a good performer, as good as the FDn 35mm f/2.0 lens but... slower ;-) Cheaper, of course, so if you don't mind f/2.8 as a maximum aperture, you can easily go for it.
Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 (S.C. or FDn) - boooooring! And not really sharp at f/1.8 even in the center.
Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 (S.S.C or FDn) - not a bad performer, just a bit soft wide open. A typical 50mm f/1.4 lens of the epoque.
Canon FD 135mm f/2.5 S.C. - a very good lens. In fact, if I didn't like the Vivitar so much, I would recommend this one, Sharp, contrasty, nice subject separation. Not to big nor heavy for a focal lenght/aperture. If you don't need the macro capabilities, this is a good choice IMO.
Canon FD 135mm f/3.5 - not a bad lens, sharp but a bit slow. Smaller and lighter than the f/2.5 one.
Canon FD 200mm f/2.8 - excellent IQ but my copy does not focus at infinity neither with the Lens Turbo nor with a regular adapter.
Canon FD 500mm f/8 Mirror Lens - by far the sharpest mirror lens I've used so far. Quite big for a 500mm mirrorlens but not much heavier. Very good IQ.
Canon FL 58mm f/1.2
- my first FD/FL lens. Not bad, "dreamy" at f/1.2 of course but quite useful whet stopped down a little bit. Uses a preset aperture
mechanism.
Canon FL 35mm f/2.5 - maybe it's just my copy, but this lens is soft and lacks contrast even stopped down. Bought it cheap, sold it for even less.

All of the lenses are quite old, so they suffer from the CA (some more, some less). Compared to the current E-mount lenses though, they are not worse than most of the modern ones.
I haven't had the 85mm f/1.8 lens but I heard only good opinions about it. It's certainly cheaper, smaller and lighter than the f/1.2 one.

You can find some pictures taken with some of the lenses above on my blog - just enter the "Canon FD" phrase into the search bar (just below the title picture).

There are many more excellent and very interesting FD lenses to try. I found this webpage: Canon FD lenses - Main Index Page a very good place to read about these lenses if you consider buying some.
11-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #2032
Veteran Member

Michele,

I can't thank you enough, you and others on this thread are just awesome and inspiring. I am jaw dropping so to speak for the stuff that I learn from you and others. We all share our love.

Warmest,
Hin

11-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #2033
Veteran Member

These came from a $27.00 new Fujian 35mm f/1.7. Many of you might have it tucked away. I am new to it and found it refreshing.

1/100 sec, f/1.7, 35mm, iso 100, 0 Ev

1/60 sec, likely in f/2.8, 35mm, iso 640, +0.3 Ev

1/100sec, f/1.7, 35mm, iso 100, 0 Ev

All shots with nex 5n. Don't quite know how the C-mount lens work on A7/A7r?

Cheers,
Hin
11-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #2034
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by prime.partisan Quote
I like this one. Do you have the "naturally vignetted" version?
Sorry, my A7r hasn't arrived yet.
11-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #2035

Hinman, I also learned a lot from you, so a big thanks to you as well!

As far as the C-mount lenses are concerned, I'm afraid the're designed to cover a much smaller sensors and an edge/corner behaviour (which, to be honest, I like very much) on the APS-C frame proves that. I think you will end up having a big, black vignette and the softness of the egdes of an APS-C sensor. Still, I'm keeping my Fujinan and some other C-mount lenses to check it out (I also use them with my Pentax Q for a good result).

Christine, the two last pictures look like they were taken during different seasons, excellent PP!
11-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #2036
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michelek Quote
Well... I'll start with some info on FD lenses.

S.S.C. stands for Super Spectra Coating and can be found on Canon FD lenses since 1970's (1973 IIRC). It replaced S.C. (Spectra Coating) and is used until nowadays, of course having been improved all the time.
Later Canon lenses were commonly called FDn (n=new), they had the same S.S.C. coating, it just wasn't marked on the lens. The FDn lenses are smaller and lighter than the S.S.C. lenses and therefore are told to be of inferior quality. I had a 35mm f/2.0 and a 50mm f/1.4 lenses in both variations and I hadn't spotted any differences in image quality. FDn lenses introduced a different mount (compatible with older bodies, though), which was closer to a classic bayonet mount than the previous breech lock used in older Canon lenses.

That's it for the introduction, now to the lenses I have/used to have. Please note that I mainly use them with the Lens Turbo adapter which lowers the Image Quality, especially in the corners (and more with wideangle lenses).

Recommended:
Canon FD 85mm f/1.2 S.S.C. - a beauty. Quite large and heavy but with excellent IQ. Lacks contrast a little bit at f/1.2 but it's very easy to repair in PP - if you want to, because images taken at full aperture are... really special. Sharp in the center even wide open, at f/2.8 the whole frame is sharp enough for me. Strongly recommended (this version or the later "L" one). My favourite manual lens.
Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 S.S.C. - a very nice lens, even though not nearly as sharp as the 85mm at f/1.2. The later Aspherical version is said to provide a better IQ but I haven't had it, so cannot confirm that. Still recommended.
Canon FD 35mm f/2.0 (S.S.C. or FDn) - a solid performer. The most wideangle lens I can use with the Lens Turbo for images sharp across the frame (at f/5.6 at least). I had both versions (S.S.C. and FDn) and sold the S.S.C. because it was bigger and heavier. But there are several S.S.C. versions and some are said to be better than others. Nevertheless, I'm happy with the FDn and I can honestly recommend it.
Canon FD 100mm f/2.8 S.S.C - a big surprise. I was looking for a 100mm f/2.0 lens and couldn't find one with a reasonable price. So i bought a 100mm f/2.8 one to try this focal lenght at least and... decided to keep it ;-) This lens is very sharp wide open, contrasty and at the same time not to big and heavy. Strongly recommended.
Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 Close Focus - a very simple design (just for elements) but delivering a very decent IQ even at f/2.8. Close focusing means an MFD of ca. 24" (60cm) and macro 1:2. I had an m42 version of this lens and loved it, so you can imagine how happy I was when I found a Canon FD version on the Polish auction portal for just $30 :-). Strongly recommended.

Other lenses:
Carl Zeiss Jena 24mm f/2.8 Macro - focuses down to 15cm or so (ca. 6") but the IQ is just average. Bought it of curiosity, now I'm happy it didn't kill the cat. Too expensive for what it's worth.
Canon FDn 28mm f/2.8 - it's not a bad lens, quite sharp but... boring ;-) And with the Lens Turbo edges and corners start to look decent only at f/11.
Canon FDn 35mm f/2.8 - a good performer, as good as the FDn 35mm f/2.0 lens but... slower ;-) Cheaper, of course, so if you don't mind f/2.8 as a maximum aperture, you can easily go for it.
Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 (S.C. or FDn) - boooooring! And not really sharp at f/1.8 even in the center.
Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 (S.S.C or FDn) - not a bad performer, just a bit soft wide open. A typical 50mm f/1.4 lens of the epoque.
Canon FD 135mm f/2.5 S.C. - a very good lens. In fact, if I didn't like the Vivitar so much, I would recommend this one, Sharp, contrasty, nice subject separation. Not to big nor heavy for a focal lenght/aperture. If you don't need the macro capabilities, this is a good choice IMO.
Canon FD 135mm f/3.5 - not a bad lens, sharp but a bit slow. Smaller and lighter than the f/2.5 one.
Canon FD 200mm f/2.8 - excellent IQ but my copy does not focus at infinity neither with the Lens Turbo nor with a regular adapter.
Canon FD 500mm f/8 Mirror Lens - by far the sharpest mirror lens I've used so far. Quite big for a 500mm mirrorlens but not much heavier. Very good IQ.
Canon FL 58mm f/1.2
- my first FD/FL lens. Not bad, "dreamy" at f/1.2 of course but quite useful whet stopped down a little bit. Uses a preset aperture
mechanism.
Canon FL 35mm f/2.5 - maybe it's just my copy, but this lens is soft and lacks contrast even stopped down. Bought it cheap, sold it for even less.

All of the lenses are quite old, so they suffer from the CA (some more, some less). Compared to the current E-mount lenses though, they are not worse than most of the modern ones.
I haven't had the 85mm f/1.8 lens but I heard only good opinions about it. It's certainly cheaper, smaller and lighter than the f/1.2 one.

You can find some pictures taken with some of the lenses above on my blog - just enter the "Canon FD" phrase into the search bar (just below the title picture).

There are many more excellent and very interesting FD lenses to try. I found this webpage: Canon FD lenses - Main Index Page a very good place to read about these lenses if you consider buying some.
My favorite FD lenses are the 85/1.2 L and the 55/1.2 ssc aspherical. At one point in time, the 55/1.2 was the sharpest standard prime, from wide. It truly is an excellent piece of glass. Unfortunately, I must sell these beauties. I also love my 135/2 and my 200/2.8. I am going to be keeping them as they are bargain performers. The 135/2 is deserving of an L marking, in my opinion.

Last edited by kenafein; 11-15-2013 at 07:42 PM.
11-15-2013, 11:28 PM - 2 Likes   #2037
Veteran Member

More processing, before and after

11-16-2013, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #2038

Earth and sky. 16mm + UWA.

Water. Sigma 30mm.
11-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #2039
Veteran Member

Both are good, but I love that second shot, Prime.
11-17-2013, 08:58 PM - 2 Likes   #2040
Veteran Member

Red Hi-Contrast Filter

one extension tube with Fujian 35mm f/1.7
1/320 sec, 35mm, f/1.7, iso 100, 0 Ev, nex 5n
PP: red hi-contrast filter, medium grain, vignette, darkness and shadow adjustment

I love the little silver lens from Fujian. I love how the nearby objects are rendered. I see great visual perspective in wide open shots showing the visual effects on DOF. Love it but the problems may show up in farther object rendered with busy bokeh, sometime with sharp edges of busy lighting. I am someone oddly in love with film grain and I will need to look up for plugins for b&w film filter and grain touch up in LR.

If you have any great recommendation on B&W conversion in LR, please comment.

Cheers,
Hin