Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2014, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #2326
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

False Scorpion

This is a False Scorpion - they eat scorpions! A6000 with Sigma 30.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-6000  Photo 

Last edited by Mikesul; 11-02-2014 at 06:26 PM.
11-06-2014, 12:41 PM - 3 Likes   #2327
Veteran Member

11-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #2328
Veteran Member

That last shot is very impressive. Well executed.
11-07-2014, 02:31 PM   #2329
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
That last shot is very impressive. Well executed.
Agreed.

How does one do these type of shots? I've seen a few of them, but don't know how I would do one myself.

11-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #2330
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How to Create Your Own Planets Using Your Panoramas | Photojojo
11-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #2331
Veteran Member

Cool - thanks very much.

So I need Photoshop. Or Gimp (no thanks).

I've subscribed to Adobe Photoshop for a year now, never installed it on my mac. Maybe now is the time for me to download it!
11-08-2014, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #2332
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
How does one do these type of shots? I've seen a few of them, but don't know how I would do one myself.
There are quite a lot of methods to do this. In order to do this properly you need a series of shots covering everything around you, preferably taken at the same point.
In order to have an idea of how to do this you can use #googlecamera for android, there's also google sphere software for iOS, it will guide you through the processes, it is a good start point to understand what should you do and IMO it is good enough in many cases, like this:

Obviously, the easiest way is to use fisheye with its insane FOV.
Software: you can use proposed tutorials how to do them in photoshop, but I prefer PTgui for this task.

11-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #2333
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
There are quite a lot of methods to do this. In order to do this properly you need a series of shots covering everything around you, preferably taken at the same point.
In order to have an idea of how to do this you can use #googlecamera for android, there's also google sphere software for iOS, it will guide you through the processes, it is a good start point to understand what should you do and IMO it is good enough in many cases, like this:

Obviously, the easiest way is to use fisheye with its insane FOV.
Software: you can use proposed tutorials how to do them in photoshop, but I prefer PTgui for this task.
Oh cool - thanks a lot Emacs I always learn so much from you!

I will try the google sphere software - I'm glad to know there is an app for this!

#AnythingButPhotoshop
11-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #2334
Veteran Member

good enough in many cases, like this
The precise, centred alignment of the tiles in the square is a very nice touch.
11-09-2014, 02:02 AM   #2335
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Oh cool - thanks a lot Emacs I always learn so much from you!
you are welcome
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The precise, centred alignment of the tiles in the square is a very nice touch.
that is barely my contribution, rather the essence of the kind of projection used for stitching and workers who aligned these tiles
11-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #2336
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Emacs, It is great to see you posting again. Your photos are always interesting.
11-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #2337
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Desert Egret

Nice watery photo from dry, hot Arizona.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NEX-5R  Photo 
11-13-2014, 12:57 PM - 2 Likes   #2338
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Emacs, It is great to see you posting again. Your photos are always interesting.
Thank you for kind words.
I was looking for sky shots in my collection (what has left after HDD failure happened in april – not a big deal if you ask me, just saying to stress that was not particularly complicated or long process): sky shots typically has (if not taken in counter sun light) quite a narrow (relatively) brightness variation and once properly processed can reveal unusual pics. Example (top is original, the postprocessed variant at the bottom – this was taken with a phone).

The «secret» is trivial: enhance contrast to death (thus "spread" the densely distributed signal among the whole histogram and even beyond that), then drop the exposure to save overburned parts – we sacrifice darker part of signal though, but it very worthy in this case. Obviously, larger sensors are much more robust with less noise and better tonality, so I hoped for some nice files to earn some likes in Instagram (I love likes , @emacs_still_destroys_vi is my nick name there BTW). You see that processed file is not particularly bad and it in fact is, especially for small phone screens, but I actually looked for the shots taken in dull weather without noticeable clouds, with boring gray veil — those are especially interesting, because cameras (obviously, with sony sensors) see much better than a human eye and sometimes you can reveal just exciting images that sometimes resemble exciting galaxy wonderful shots from space telescopes. Processing procedure is slightly upgraded though: saturation should be raised as well. And this kills JPGs, which manages to stay being relatively good at first two steps.

So, I didn't found those, but saw some nice cloudy panorama material and quite good cityscape shot, those are all from summer.

11-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #2339
Veteran Member

(I love likes , @emacs_still_destroys_vi is my nick name there BTW).
LOL - I wonder how many people here understand that reference.

vi forever!!! I still use it in terminal mode on OSX. :-)

PS - Will try and add you on Instagram :-) I hardly post on Instagram - I'm not pretty enough to do the daily selfie (although it has been a project I have wanted to do for a while - just take a photo of me every morning and post it)
11-13-2014, 02:26 PM   #2340
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I never got into vi. I know it's incredibly fast for those who are good at it, but it was never a skill I cared to cultivate, and my career has been Microsoft oriented.