Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2011, 09:32 AM   #16
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I feel that it's appropriate to provide an update to my "time of weakness". I managed to work through it, and about 3 months after posting my dilemma, I went ahead and bought the K-5. Needless to say, any frustrations I had are now out the window. Specifically, I refer to the frustrations I had with the K20D autofocus (speed and accuracy), especially in low light situations, plus noise at levels much lower than what I experience on the K-5.

I had first gotten my hands on a K-5 about a year ago and observed throughout this past year what others would say about it. I also tested out a couple of other K-5s for consistency. In the end, I was sold on what I think is a quantum leap from the K20D to the K-5 and so far am extremely impressed with the upgrade.

Does the K-5 have AF in the league of Canikon yet? Not quite. If all its lenses had, say, DC autofocus (I don't think the SDM monkey is off the back yet) or some other kind of whisper-quiet, ultra fast system like the Canikons have, then I would be totally satisfied. But here in the current Pentax reality of SDM and screw-drives, I have no right to complain with a thing of beauty like the K-5 that, comparing camera to camera, is every bit on par with - even better than - almost anything Canikon has to offer.

That said, if I'm this excited about only owning screw-drive lenses to this point, I can't wait to finally get the DA* 50-135 despite my concerns about SDM longevity! I'm willing to risk it because I can't imagine how much more awesome the K-5 would be with a SDM lens like that.

So there you have it. Your posts helped me as did my time in the "wilderness" of contemplation, and I have thus resisted the lure of the other (dark?) side.

Last edited by enoxatnep; 01-01-2012 at 10:18 PM.
12-31-2011, 01:00 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
A few months ago, I finally found a legendary FA*80-200/2.8 at ~$1.5K and have a FA*85/1.4 at about another $1K.
2 fantastic and superbly built lenses for the price of 1 from Nikon.
I'm tempted by Canikon only because you can buy their best FF lenses new with a warranty. The legendary Pentax lenses are tough to find in the condition you want. With a few exceptions, the best Canikon lenses are currently being produced. They may cost more, but scrounging the used market gets tiresome.
12-31-2011, 01:11 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Owning more than one camera brand won't make you any less of a Pentaxian. Giving up everything you own that is Pentax and going completely Nikon might but that's your call to make. I actually have several film camera sets at this point. My main set is my Pentax gear but I don't feel I am betraying Pentax because I use some Yashica gear too. That would be silly. Use whatever works for you.
12-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #19
Inactive Account

So what keeps me with Pentax?

My first photographs were astrophotos taken with my dad, with an old Pentax K1000 SLR and prime focus adapter. 20 years later I'm in College, and My Pentax K-2000 has not broke down, failed, or caused one hiccough since I bought it in 2009. It has been a nice performer within it's capabilities, and yes I've with limited suscess pushed it outside that. Older FA Pentax lenses, which are both inexpensive to buy as well as easy to get have performed very well for me once I learned to use Monopods and Tripods especially. I've bought several such lenses, a second-hand AF-330FTZ (which works perfectly well with the newer Camera body. I should write a review), a good stable Manfrotto outdoor tripod, filters, shades, and of course the obligatory Pentax sling bag. When I upgrade to either the K-r suscessor or the K-5 this year, I know that just about every accessory I own will probably work with whatever body I choose. Even if Pentax goes Full Frame, some of the Pentax FA and FA-J lenses I have should STILL work through the transition as long as Pentax keeps the K mount. Oh and yes, a lot of my dad's K1000 gear works just fine with my newer camera... and I still have that prime focus telescope adapter, plus a eyepiece projection adapter. Pentax doesn't throw much away. They just keep improving on what they've made, and we can use whatever tools we have grown used to over the years, mixing and matching as we see fit. I'm willing to bet as well that becuase Pentax lenses can be so numeous and inexpensive on the second hand market, that one could even dabble a bit in lense design by buying older lenses and parting them out, and or repairing them.

I've seen Nikons, I've seen Cannons. YES, they are great cameras. But for me, only a Pentax will do. It's never let me down.

Last edited by ScreamingIdiot; 12-31-2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Grammer
12-31-2011, 02:28 PM   #20

This is the second such post I've seen in as many days. I guess I missed the part when I registered where I'm obligated to "compel" someone to stay or go to another brand.
Is neurotic fickleness a characteristic of Pentax users, or is it broader? Quite odd.

Buy whatever you want, makes no difference to me. But I suspect whatever you do, even if you switch to another brand, it won't be long before you're on one of their fora, probably asking a similar question in a year (or less).

Just pick up a camera (whatever brand) and take some pictures, dammit!
12-31-2011, 02:54 PM   #21
Veteran Member

*reads thread with interest....and many other threads.....*

Darnit you guys, I came here looking for help and I'm not getting it I'm being seduced in the other direction entirely. I'm seriously considering selling my K5 & kit to go to a Leica M8 (in a perfect world, I'd keep both - anyone got a spare $3000 bucks?). It's a pretty agonizing decision because frankly I can't think of a fully AF camera that like better than the K5, I'm fanatical about the FA Ltd. lenses, and I feel like with this camera body Pentax is all grown up. There's nothing I'd change (since I don't shoot high speed action, the AF speed is more than enough for me).

What I'm being seduced by is first and foremost that extraordinary impossible-to-describe character of Leica photos - in the same way the FA Ltd. lenses' rendering make my heart smile, the Leica's rendering just stops my breath photo after photo. Not just the lenses, it's the M8 and M9 character as well, or I'd just grab some Leica lenses & slap them on my K-5! Secondly, I'm lured by interface/operational simplicity. I make use of most of the bells and whistles on my K-5, but 95% of the time I'm in Av and a good percentage of that time I'm in manual focus. At that point, I'm carrying around bulk & processor power that's weighing me down - and despite the excellent Pentax layout, digital is rather charmless to interface with

And lastly....you know, for me the initial allure of digital was the phenomenal clarity of the photos. I vividly remember looking at a shot taken of a baby, in which my friend's DSLR was etched in perfect detail on her corneas, floating in front of her astonishing true-to-life blue irises. Blew my mind. But......I'm bored with that kind of perfection. Gosh I feel like a digital heretic

I don't want to be taking photos that blow my mind technically any more. I want to be taking photos that transcend the optics of the lens, the composition of the subject, the resolution of the sensor or my vision of the perfect outcome. I figured that was asking for the moon or seeking something that simply defined "better photographer than I," until I started looking at a zillion M8 and M9 photos....now I'm doomed
12-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I am tempted by the D700(for FF dof control & AF performace) and Leica M9(do you even need reason for wanting one?) constantly, but I had a look at my bank balance and price of the Nikon and Leica gears, shake my head and go back to my K-5 and a full dozen wonderful glasses. If I sold off my kit maybe I can get a Nikon kit like Jserman's but, do I have kids that I need the lightning fast instant lock AF? No. Do I want to carry heavier gear than I have now? No. So there. As for M9, I simply couldn't afford a system that could cost about the same as my car.....

12-31-2011, 04:30 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I added a 5D Mark II to my multibrand kit a couple weeks ago.
B&H had a killer deal on brand new 5D II for less than $2,000 with $720 in cool freebees kicked in.
It's a sweet camera. I'm happy I got one before it drops off the EOS System.

The 5D III and D800 rumored prices range up from $3500, which if true, is way too much money for me to seriously consider spending on a camera.

If 5D II drops to $1750 by May 2012, which I do expect will happen, I'll get a 2nd one for a proper backup.

I've decided D800 at $3500 to $4500 is deal breaker for me and my D700 is a killer camera, infact best camera I've owned, still better than 5D II in my eyes except it don't do HD Video like the Canon 5D II does.
If $3500+ becomes a fact then D700 will become more valuable on secondary market holding at or above $2,000 used for next couple years..

I think for Pentax owners D700 is a compelling choice, though its gone up $400 since I bought mine 3 years ago.
I'd break even on it if I was foolish enough to get rid of it today.

What Pentax camera bought new 3 years ago is worth what was paid for it today ???

Growing into the Nikon System has been a fun journey.
D700's my first Nikon camera.
Epic old Ai / AiS mount Nikon made lenses can be obtained in Mint- for bargain prices if one is patient.

I'm still glad I own EOS gear, and I'm ok with my remaining Pentax kit built around K20D.
No way I'd buy more new Pentax gear thesedays.
I'm not interested in buying crop format sensors or crop format glass from anyone.

I've got 4 full frame dslrs now along with Pentax K20D.

I should change my name here from "Samsungian" to "Mr. Niche"

My numerous Pentax frustrations from 2002 foward made me a multi brand dslr owner in 2008.

Happy New Year !!! 4hours 20minutes till 2012, my 10th anniversary of buying into K Mount.

Last edited by Samsungian; 12-31-2011 at 07:46 PM.
12-31-2011, 08:26 PM   #24
Veteran Member

A number of various and sundry things, mainly the poor quality of the K7, took me away from Pentax.

I moved to the Canon platform back in March (2011) and have no regrets. Started with the 60D and just moved to the 5D Mk II.

Now, if can just become as good of a photographer as my equipment is good, I'll be in high Cotton.
12-31-2011, 10:06 PM   #25
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lex Madera Quote
This is the second such post I've seen in as many days. I guess I missed the part when I registered where I'm obligated to "compel" someone to stay or go to another brand.
Is neurotic fickleness a characteristic of Pentax users, or is it broader? Quite odd.

Buy whatever you want, makes no difference to me. But I suspect whatever you do, even if you switch to another brand, it won't be long before you're on one of their fora, probably asking a similar question in a year (or less).

Just pick up a camera (whatever brand) and take some pictures, dammit!
Um, no offense, Lex, but I don't think you took the time to read the other posts in this thread other than the first one.
01-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #26
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Whatever suits a person is fine with me....I don't feel compelled to keep a person loyal to any certain brand any more than I feel compelled to help them choose a mate. I have a friend who loves big fat women...huge actually......that's his business.

I do know about seduction, and have been seduced by my little x10. It is a step backward from my fantastic K5 for sure, but it is soooo much fun!

Regards!
01-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I do love being seduced, especially together with good food and wine.

Hang on ... oh, you are talking about cameras.
01-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #28

"Um, no offense, Lex, but I don't think you took the time to read the other posts in this thread other than the first one."

None taken. I've read all the posts here in this thread, up to the point that I replied originally.

I've just become rather bored with the recurring themes here, such as:

1) My Pentax doesn't love me, make it love me so I'll stay with her

2) Front focus/back focus

3) The idiotic question that could easily be answered by reading your manual

4) add your favorite here. There must be a baker's dozen.

Go take a picture. We'll all be happier
01-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
"Um, no offense, Lex, but I don't think you took the time to read the other posts in this thread other than the first one."

None taken. I've read all the posts here in this thread, up to the point that I replied originally.

I've just become rather bored with the recurring themes here, such as:
Perhaps being a bit more selective on your thread-reading choices would spare you and us :-)
01-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #30
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lex Madera Quote
Go take a picture. We'll all be happier
Not even worth commenting on.

Last edited by enoxatnep; 01-02-2012 at 05:09 PM.