Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
If you've got deep enough pockets to buy a suite of Leica glass you're probably going to buy an M8 or an M9.
I thought Steve Huff said the M9 also suffers from the magenta colour shift???

QuoteQuote:
You can see that using lenses 24 and wider can get you some nasty color shifts, just like the M9 used to do (and still does with the Voigtlander).
Anyway, I used the M9 for a little and didn't like it. I found it very difficult to focus on the rangefinder using my right eye.

When I look back at my photos, I managed to achieve focus on most of those shots, but I was really struggling with each shot.

11-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Christine:

You should now be very happy with the NEX-5N ...

I understand your need for Live View focusing.

After reading the comparisons between your camera vs. the NEX-7 vs. the GXR ... all I have to say is that I am very disappointed with the rendering in sharpness and colour with the NEX-7.

Sony NEX-7 with wide angle Leica lenses – A quick test and Ricoh GXR A12 Comparison! | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

originally posted by emacs earlier.

JP

Check around, I think you will find more glowing reviews of the NEX-7 than just this one by Steve Huff. More reviewers than not hail this body as excellent.

Jason
11-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Christine, thank you for the posting of your shots on Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4. Out of all the lens mount adapter, the Leica M mount is among the thinnest when compared to the K-mount or the M42 mount equivalent. Do you have the best Leica M mount for recommendation? How much is the Voigtlander adapter? I see a bunch in the twenty dollar range in eBay. What was the M-mount that you got problems with. Please share with us so as not to get those problematic adapters.

I like your photos with the 5N and the Nokton lens. It will have been nice if the K-adapter is as thin as the Leica M mount adapter.

Cheers,
Hin
11-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Check around, I think you will find more glowing reviews of the NEX-7 than just this one by Steve Huff. More reviewers than not hail this body as excellent.

Jason
I guess they were using it with DSLR optics or native e-mount lenses.
DSLR wide angles are not good enough. They are either huge or not good enough optically. So, I thought of buying some leica wide angles (heliar 12 or 15, new super elmar 21/3.4 asph, biogon 28/2.8). And they are all suffer from color shift.
I don't like sony pancake (it's just not good enough) and the new sonnar (lack of sharpness for such a size).

11-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Some lenses (12 and 15 mm vl heliars, 20mm vl color skopar, cz biogons 21/2.8, 25, 28 are not particularly expensive. At least they are about 3 times cheaper than leica glasses. And they are all suffered from color shift in previous nex generations. The nex-5n resolved this. The nex-7 didn't).
All too pricey for me to consider having a full setup. There is obviously a market for M lenses on APS-C bodies for Ricoh to create a module for it. It would just seem to me that if you have that kind of cash you could spend an extra 1k for a used M8. Voigtlander does seem to be reasonably priced for M-mount though. I sure wouldn't mind having the 50/1.1 for any sensor.
11-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote

Jason
Sony NEX-7 high-end APS-C mirrorless camera first look: Digital Photography Review
Sony NEX-7 - DigitalVersus
Sony NEX-7 First Look: In the Wild
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Review - Digital cameras - CNET Reviews

While those reviews seem positive toward the NEX-7, unlike that of S. Huff Photo, I jumped seeing the price !

However, it does look like a good "smallish" camera.

JP
11-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The review was glowing for non M-mount lenses. It's still a good camera. If you've got deep enough pockets to buy a suite of Leica glass you're probably going to buy an M8 or an M9. Still, I'd rather have the 5N myself. It's kind of a shame for them to go backwards on sensor tech for marketing reasons. Who needs 24 megapixels? Not me if the quality is inferior to 16.
No doubt it is a good camera. As you, I would likely go for another camera altogether, albeit not one without a VF.

JP

11-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Some examples from my latest lens acquisition - the Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4.

Impressions of the lens - not that sharp, I think the Sony lenses are sharper. But it has a "glow" that remind me of Leica lenses.

An example of shallow depth of field at f1.4:

WOW! Looks amazing and very 3D. Also I don't see any Purple Fringing in the picture above. I often (if not always) got PF with this kind of shot (thin DOF, lots of branch and leaves and sky in the background). Did you post-process it or it's really non-existent? Mind to post 100% crop (or link to full size download). Thank you!
11-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sajah Quote
WOW! Looks amazing and very 3D. Also I don't see any Purple Fringing in the picture above. I often (if not always) got PF with this kind of shot (thin DOF, lots of branch and leaves and sky in the background). Did you post-process it or it's really non-existent? Mind to post 100% crop (or link to full size download). Thank you!
That happens to BE one of the pictures that I like the most in the series.

Hin
11-17-2011, 08:04 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I see purple all over the place !

11-17-2011, 11:17 PM   #41

Well I mean, except for the flowers!
11-17-2011, 11:25 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Processing parameters:
Exposure: +0.50
Brightness: 75
Saturation: 50
Contrast: 0

Otherwise default

There's a fair amount of purple fringing in the upper right of photo, in the tree branch.

Here's the link to Picasa where you can view a larger version (not full size though - max 2048 pixels on the long edge):
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Hr0RCL116ULGucW-5LhGtw?feat=directlink
11-18-2011, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More photos from today

View from office window:

More tree trunks:

Took the afternoon off and wandered down to Lavender Bay and Milsons Point:

11-18-2011, 01:17 AM   #44
Veteran Member

have that kind of cash you could spend an extra 1k for a used M8
I have, but I won't buy it. I don't like rangefinders.
I'm waiting for the M10 though, there are some rumours it will have an EVF.
11-18-2011, 01:18 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
More photos from today

View from office window:

More tree trunks:

Took the afternoon off and wandered down to Lavender Bay and Milsons Point:

Nice shots, Christine!