Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
Banned

Apple iPhone 4s with 8mp ,IS & 1080p !

QuoteQuote:
Apple has announced its latest iPhone model, featuring an 8MP back-illuminated CMOS sensor. The iPhone 4S features faster image capture (down to 0.5s shot-to-shot time and 1.1 second 'time to first photo'), and captures more light as a result of the new sensor. It also gains 1080p video, is said to have better auto white balance performance and adds face detection for the first time. The 4S will first be available in the US, UK and five other countries on October 14th, with 22 more countries following two weeks later
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11100405iphone4gslaunch.asp

QuoteQuote:
Also absent is the delay before photos are processed, with Apple’s official figures putting the 4S’s snapping speed at just 1.1 seconds (with a very exact 26 per cent better white balance and 30 per cent ‘more sharpness’, photography fans).

To rub Android owners’ noses in it, Apple then compared this to the Galaxy S II and others, with the charts naturally showing the iPhone well ahead.

The camera itself is an 8MP model (up from the 5MP on iPhone 4) and can shoot HD film in 1080p (up from 720p).

Also of note is the inclusion of AirPlay mirroring from the iPad 2, which allows you to stream that 1080p image directly to your TV (if you have the AppleTV box, of course).
Apple unveils the iPhone 4S - 7x the graphics, 8MP camera, Siri voice recognition | iPhone 4S news | iPhone | Pocket Gamer

QuoteQuote:
And those 8MP camera rumors? They were true. The iPhone 4S will step up the iPhone 4′s impressive 5MP camera by increasing the image size. It’s a backlit CMOS sensor that takes in 73% more light than the previous generation’s sensor. It’ll pack cool, real-camera features like face-detection and auto white balance. It shoots at 3264 x 2448.

And that sensor it doesn’t just mean great pictures, video is enhanced as well. The iPhone 4S can take 1080p video. Features will include real-time video stabilization and noise reduction.
http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/iphone-4s-gets-official-2011104/

Last edited by jogiba; 10-04-2011 at 12:44 PM.
10-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #2

Check out the sample pics in the gallery here Apple - iPhone 4S - See all the amazing new things iPhone can do.
10-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The fanboys are dissappointed yet another upgrade one year later for the same price.
10-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

16 months and all they can do is give the existing model a speed/spec bump.... pah

Talk about dropping the ball. No wonder apple shares went down.

10-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, that's the typical sentiment all over the iPhone dedicated websites. Our discontent with technological advances grows faster with each new product. iPhone 5 will be coming out soon and even then, with big sales of each iPhone there will be something to complain about. Are we perhaps getting too demanding?

The human condition is indeed fickle.
Prioritise wants well beyond our needs, and satisfaction is constantly elusive.
If unsatisfied, look elsewhere - kind of like photogs wanting the K-5 to blow the D700 and 5DMkII away for half their price...
10-05-2011, 03:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Yeah, that's the typical sentiment all over the iPhone dedicated websites. Our discontent with technological advances grows faster with each new product. iPhone 5 will be coming out soon and even then, with big sales of each iPhone there will be something to complain about. Are we perhaps getting too demanding?

The human condition is indeed fickle.
Prioritise wants well beyond our needs, and satisfaction is constantly elusive.
If unsatisfied, look elsewhere - kind of like photogs wanting the K-5 to blow the D700 and 5DMkII away for half their price...
This is a different situation, as apple shot themselves in the foot.

They miss their self-created expectation of a 12 month refresh, and then come in late with something the public didn't really want or need. The current camera in the iPhone 4 is good. The current iPhone 4 is pretty quick and smooth. So upping the specs on both gets a "blah" sentiment. What people really wanted was a 4" display in an even slimmer body.

Contrast it to the K-7 --> K-5 evolution. Like the iPhone 4 --> 4S, it was also just a performance upgrade in the same body. People were happy with the K-7; it had great ergonomics and performed very well. But the big wish for the successor was for K-x (or better) high ISO performance and faster autofocus. The K-5 provided that and the response was extremely positive.

Perception is everything. The iPhone 4 was perceived as "wow", and people flocked to it, despite the antenna issue. The 4S is now perceived as "so what" and if a friend bought one without having first lost or trashed their iPhone 4, I'd ask "why?".
10-05-2011, 04:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
This is a different situation, as apple shot themselves in the foot.

They miss their self-created expectation of a 12 month refresh, and then come in late with something the public didn't really want or need. The current camera in the iPhone 4 is good. The current iPhone 4 is pretty quick and smooth. So upping the specs on both gets a "blah" sentiment. What people really wanted was a 4" display in an even slimmer body.

Contrast it to the K-7 --> K-5 evolution. Like the iPhone 4 --> 4S, it was also just a performance upgrade in the same body. People were happy with the K-7; it had great ergonomics and performed very well. But the big wish for the successor was for K-x (or better) high ISO performance and faster autofocus. The K-5 provided that and the response was extremely positive.

Perception is everything. The iPhone 4 was perceived as "wow", and people flocked to it, despite the antenna issue. The 4S is now perceived as "so what" and if a friend bought one without having first lost or trashed their iPhone 4, I'd ask "why?".
An interesting post from someone close to the rapidly-growing market this phone is partly aimed at. You've also just described the probable reaction of a lot of iPhone 4 owners in the Western markets, but failed to see the probable reaction of upgraders from earlier iPhones or first smart-phone adopters, let alone switchers from Android phones.

I doubt this product could seriously be viewed as Apple shooting themselves in the foot. The share price dive was really the result of punters getting worked up over media speculation that ran wild in the past couple of weeks. Lemmings.

10-05-2011, 04:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

No wonder apple shares went down.
Yeah, they went down an entire half a percentage point, from $374.6 to $372.5. Better sell your stock quickly

Funnily enough AAPL also fell by about $2 (about 1% back then) when the original iPhone 4 was announced in June 2010.

Personally I'm getting one. Being able to send texts and emails with my voice while driving is worth the price on its own. Assuming it all works, that is Early reports say it was surprisingly accurate, so fingers crossed!

Last edited by thoughton; 10-05-2011 at 05:42 AM.
10-05-2011, 05:24 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
An interesting post from someone close to the rapidly-growing market this phone is partly aimed at. You've also just described the probable reaction of a lot of iPhone 4 owners in the Western markets, but failed to see the probable reaction of upgraders from earlier iPhones or first smart-phone adopters, let alone switchers from Android phones.

I doubt this product could seriously be viewed as Apple shooting themselves in the foot. The share price dive was really the result of punters getting worked up over media speculation that ran wild in the past couple of weeks. Lemmings.
I completely agree. I have never owned an iPhone, but I do own other apple products and have been considering the iPhone. I have always seen the iPhone 4 to be the most beautiful mobile device, ever. its just gorgeous. and to offer up the same beautiful engineering while upgrading it internally to keep up with the best of the best in the android world, is a huge thing for me. a lot of you people who down this and think apple made a mistake are probably the same people that said the 3GS was a mistake, but look how it benefited apple, and gave them another market angle after the 4 was introduced. the 4s will fill that exact role. apple is as I understand it trying to further their reach in the global market and steal from android. in order to do that they need to change tactics, release products that appeal to people other than the diehard apple fanboys with too much money and not enough sense. the 5 will undoubtedly be a huge success, and when it hits, all you apple fans can go dropping your 4’s by the wayside and getting a 5. but for myself and I am sure A LOT of other people all over the world the 4s is an amazing product that shows that apple knows they have a winning design. I mean come on, how many here always say, ‘don’t screw up the next one Pentax, just give us a k-7/k-5 body with all the problems fixed and a few upgrades and you will have a winner!’ isn’t that exactly what the 4s is for apple?

my only concern now is white or black? and I bet thats the only concern for a lot of people. some f you folks need to think of the bigger picture instead of downing everything apple does without giving it enough thought and taking the time to figure out exactly what apple is doing and what a particular product is markets for. the 4s isn’t for a majority of iPhone 4 users, its for a majority of 3 and 3gs users and for people like myself who have never owned an iPhone. the 5 will be what most 4 users will want. you see that? you see how the 4s brings in new customers, where just going from the 4 to the 5, will again alienate some bot new and existing customers?

come on people, think of the big picture.
10-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed, just as the K-7 was not necessarily a revolutionary camera that would have made every K20D owner go out and pre-order the latest flagship camera at the time, Apple have a decent rationale for making slight tweaks on the iPhone 4 and hold back on the iPhone 5. A dual-core processor (in a phone device!) is nothing to sneeze at either.

I was originally averse to getting an iPhone myself, and to date I've held off - but my old Palm OS smartphone is far too frustrating and limiting in function, and I've put up with its bugs for far too long. Plus its screen is too small for the text size required to read documents effectively. So looking at the options today (Symbian, Android, Windows mobile), and what software and features are available on current smartphones, someone in my position would find it hard to resist the iPhone.
10-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I completely agree. I have never owned an iPhone, but I do own other apple products and have been considering the iPhone. I have always seen the iPhone 4 to be the most beautiful mobile device, ever. its just gorgeous. and to offer up the same beautiful engineering while upgrading it internally to keep up with the best of the best in the android world, is a huge thing for me. a lot of you people who down this and think apple made a mistake are probably the same people that said the 3GS was a mistake, but look how it benefited apple, and gave them another market angle after the 4 was introduced. the 4s will fill that exact role. apple is as I understand it trying to further their reach in the global market and steal from android. in order to do that they need to change tactics, release products that appeal to people other than the diehard apple fanboys with too much money and not enough sense. the 5 will undoubtedly be a huge success, and when it hits, all you apple fans can go dropping your 4’s by the wayside and getting a 5. but for myself and I am sure A LOT of other people all over the world the 4s is an amazing product that shows that apple knows they have a winning design. I mean come on, how many here always say, ‘don’t screw up the next one Pentax, just give us a k-7/k-5 body with all the problems fixed and a few upgrades and you will have a winner!’ isn’t that exactly what the 4s is for apple?

my only concern now is white or black? and I bet thats the only concern for a lot of people. some f you folks need to think of the bigger picture instead of downing everything apple does without giving it enough thought and taking the time to figure out exactly what apple is doing and what a particular product is markets for. the 4s isn’t for a majority of iPhone 4 users, its for a majority of 3 and 3gs users and for people like myself who have never owned an iPhone. the 5 will be what most 4 users will want. you see that? you see how the 4s brings in new customers, where just going from the 4 to the 5, will again alienate some bot new and existing customers?

come on people, think of the big picture.
What a load of tripe.

The 3GS was a success because the 3G was too slow.

The 4 is not too slow.

You are also saying that the 4S will attract people that the 4 didn't. How exactly?
10-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now take it easy there, mate.
The point is that if iPhone 4 doesn't attract 3G or 3GS users to upgrade, the 4S will make them think twice. And there is a significant (and practical) improvement in performance from the 3GS to the 4S to make such users turn their heads.
10-05-2011, 11:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

*sighs*

I'm still using an iPhone 1 (had the OS upgraded to 3 for US$15) - works for me whilst my real money goes on lenses
10-06-2011, 03:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The Samsung Galaxy ii trounces it in every dept

My son has just got one (I have the IP 4) and I was quite amazed.

I can say the pic quality simply crushes the iPhone - in fact the pic quality is better than my Sony HX5!!
10-06-2011, 04:33 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What a load of tripe.

The 3GS was a success because the 3G was too slow.

The 4 is not too slow.

You are also saying that the 4S will attract people that the 4 didn't. How exactly?
With most electronics products there is incremental improvement. Most people can "skip" a generation of technology without problem. As before mentioned, many Pentax users skipped the K7 and went from the K20 (orK10) to the K5. Same thing is fine with phones. That doesn't say that the 4S won't sell well. There are plenty of people out there that want the current generation tech and are willing to pay for it -- even if their current phone is working fine.