Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Best travel camera.

Hello All,

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but in everyones opinion, what is the best travel camera in terms of image quality and amount of manual control?
The reason for this is because I'm going on a school trip to italy and want something that's quite small and discreet (I couldn't bare to take my k-5 at the risk of being stolen or damaged). So what would be a good camera to take at around 500-600 dollars or preferably less? I have researched into ILC cameras but find that the standard zoom kit lenses make them hard to fit into a coat pocket, but something that has caught my eye is the canon g12. Any experiences/advice would be most appreciated, thanks in advance. Bertie.

10-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
Inactive Account

You could just insure you camera. It's a cheaper alternative, and it puts your mind at easy against the possibility of theft/damage.
10-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've been to Italy. I've been elsewhere. I had my pockets picked in Guatemala, not in Italy. Nobody broke into my Italian hotel room to steal anything. I felt safer in Naples than in Los Angeles. Yes, if you're worried, just insure your gear and take it. Don't carry it foolishly, like in a fanny- or backpack. After getting ripped-off, some Old Guatemala Hands advised me to buy an Ameribag, a teardrop over-the-shoulder that I can easily swing around to my front and cradle in an arm if I'm in a crowd. No problem. Have fun!
10-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What's the point of having a K-5 if you're not going to take it to visually interesting places?

10-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luizpaulo Quote
You could just insure you camera. It's a cheaper alternative, and it puts your mind at easy against the possibility of theft/damage.
+1 travel insurance is brilliant.

If it's the size of your K-5 that you're worried about, then thats something different
10-05-2011, 01:50 AM   #6

Original Poster
Yeah getting insurance is a very good idea. I like the idea of the ameribag but does anyone else have any suggestions on how to be more discreet; I know insurance would cover everything but it would still be a damned nuisance if all my stuff were to be stolen on the first day.(Which I know is not a very high possibility if I'm careful with my stuff, but nevertheless it could still happen). Maybe letting my camera in a cage with an angry skunk would deter any theives?
10-05-2011, 02:21 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by guppy350 Quote
Yeah getting insurance is a very good idea. I like the idea of the ameribag but does anyone else have any suggestions on how to be more discreet; I know insurance would cover everything but it would still be a damned nuisance if all my stuff were to be stolen on the first day.(Which I know is not a very high possibility if I'm careful with my stuff, but nevertheless it could still happen). Maybe letting my camera in a cage with an angry skunk would deter any theives?
I think, personally you are worrying too much. anything can happen I know, but if you stay aware of your surroundings you really have very little to worry about. insure your gear before the trip, take the K-5, have fun and take photos.

10-05-2011, 02:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I travel through Italy 10-12 times a year and have never had any concerns carrying my main camera (K-7/K10D).

If you have a top quality DSLR, why not take it with you and realize it's potential instead of spending another $500-600 for something probably less capable yet no less attractive to anyone thinking of taking a camera from you.

A good rule of traveling is: Stupid is as Stupid does....meaning, dont leave your camera unattended in public areas (on tables at restaurants, in unattended chairs, easily grabbed, etc) and keep in a small day-pack or strap around your neck when sightseeing. I think you'll be glad you took your K-5 and captured the kind of images you wanted from it in the first place.

Jason
10-05-2011, 04:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On second thought...

I wrote,
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
What's the point of having a K-5 if you're not going to take it to visually interesting places?
but I'm reconsidering. Guppy is a student and this is a class trip, not a photographic expedition. Students are subject to distraction and class trips tend toward chaos. I'm thinking that his reluctance to take the K-5 may be a very responsible posture.

I haven't a clue about what alternative to suggest though.
10-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Pentax DSLR are great travel cameras, weight is not an issue, weather proofing is not an issue, lenses are not an issue so just get some insurance on it. My cousin got stripped as he walked thru Italy...they cut his backpack and waist pack of while they swarmed him thankfully the money pouch and documents were in his pants
His tour group just stood in shock as he got literally ripped off, his insurance reimbured everything he had paperwork for, they said he wasn't alone.
10-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
weight is not an issue
I wouldn’t completely agree with that, per my own experiences traveling, but then I understand that not everyone has the same expectations. for myself, I’m a freelance photojournalist and I document everything, that means a camera is necessary everywhere. even running through airports, on the plane, etc. and even with a K-7/K-5 body, weight is an issue, as well as size. but given the OP’s original stated reason for wanting a ‘travel specific’ camera I would still suggest using the K-5. unless the OP plans on doing very frequent traveling or documents with the same intensity I do. any digital SLR is a pain in the ass while traveling (unless you keep it in your bag/suitcase the whole time.) and thats just the plain truth. but I can’t see for one student trip, that spending that kind of coin on another camera being worth it. save that for spending money I say, and use that k-5 its fullest!
10-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
My cousin got stripped as he walked thru Italy...
am I getting the wrong idea about Italy? it seems italy always comes up in the discussion of camera theft when traveling. is Italy that dangerous? everyone here at home and even friends and family in the philippines warn me about keeping my stuff secure while there, but I’ve had no problems and no fears of anything happening. whats up with italy? I’m not normally one to ‘jump on the bandwagon’ so to speak, but it seems Italy is a dangerous place. err, I hope the doesn’t scare the OP, but I guess its a good case for the insurance...
10-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Just don't stop to help people asking directions holding maps, or stop to answer "surveys", and don't carry your camera on the street side shoulder, and don't respond to gypsies if they talk to you, especially those holding cardboard signs, and don't let people crowd you, and don't........
10-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weight will always be an issue travelling, and hybrids/bridge cameras make good sense in this regard. Pentax Q anyone?

But seriously, the K-r with 18-55 and 55-300 will give you the most lightweight yet capable and fully manual camera with a decent lens set for your travels. It wouldn't weight much more than 1kg, and easily carried around in a small shoulder strap/hand-held camera bag.

Insurance would be handy, but nothing is better insurance than taking care of (and keeping an eye on) your gear in your travels.
10-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will buck the tide a bit and recommend a good hybrid superzoom, which will give you very good pictures all in one package.
A good hybrid is handy to have in all instances, and the video quality is quite good.. The Sony Cybershot DSChx100v gives you 30x optical zoom and is very lightweight.

Last edited by Basset; 10-06-2011 at 04:53 AM.