Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sony Kill Their Last SLR

Sony have discontinued their last DSLR (now only having the A77 & A65 which are DSLT cameras) - see their website.

Pity. Hope Pentax - Ricoh don't see this as a bad omen for FF Pentax (fingers still crossed for this).

10-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is their next full frame going to be SLT also?
10-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Is their next full frame going to be SLT also?
They are reportedly going to have between one and three FF bodies introduced next year, unknown if they will be SLR, SLT, or mirrorless, or some combination.

(not sure how the OP thinks the Sony SLT vs SLR decision affects Pentax sensor choices - same sensors are used whether it's SLR or SLT )
10-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
They are reportedly going to have between one and three FF bodies introduced next year, unknown if they will be SLR, SLT, or mirrorless, or some combination.

(not sure how the OP thinks the Sony SLT vs SLR decision affects Pentax sensor choices - same sensors are used whether it's SLR or SLT )
Ah Jay I didn't say anything at all about SLT/SLR affecting sensor choice. I didn't know Sony were planning to introduce new FF bodies, I thought the discontinuance of the 900 was because the FF format wasn't that successful for them - and that might influence Ricoh's reasoning re. the introduction of a FF body - hence the thread. However 1 or 3 is a large difference - where did you find that information ?

10-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Ah Jay I didn't say anything at all about SLT/SLR affecting sensor choice. I didn't know Sony were planning to introduce new FF bodies, I thought the discontinuance of the 900 was because the FF format wasn't that successful for them - and that might influence Ricoh's reasoning re. the introduction of a FF body - hence the thread. However 1 or 3 is a large difference - where did you find that information ?

Well, we officially don't know anything about anything until someone makes an announcement, but we can go on rumours if the source has been (mostly) right in the past, and if there seem to be multiple sources for the rumour. In Sony's case, sonyalpharumours has a 'SR5' level rumour summary here. ("SR5" is their 'most likely' rating, and these almost always turn out to me at least partially true.)

QuoteQuote:
(SR5) A Fullframe rumors summary.

Paul Genge from Sony UK said at British Journal of Photography that the firm has still to make a decision on whether it will use its Translucent Mirror Technology in the upcoming models. And he said that a new Alpha full-frame camera would replace the A850 and A900 released in 2008.

That is more or less all what Sony had to say about their future Fullframe plans. What do I know more in terms of fullframe rumors?

1) The roadmap for FF lenses and camers has been shifted forward for a couple of months. Like it was for the A77 everything has been delayed. I will give you more info about the new Fulflrame lenses soon.
2) There will be more than one (probably three!) new fullframe cameras in 2012
3) Not a single one of those will have a classic DSLR design (no classic mirror, no prisma)
4) The A99 (one of the three cameras) should be unveiled before the Photokina 2012 show in September (I am not sure yet when Sony will announced about other one-two fullframe cameras)
5) Sony developed a new 36Megapixel fullframe sensor which will probably fit inside the A99.

Of course I received more details, but I need to double and triple check them with other sources. I ask my sources if they cans hare me some bits about the future Sony FF roadmap. As you know you can use the anonymous contact form on the right sidebar or write me at sonyalpharumors@gmail.com. Thanks!

What I can also say is that my trusted sources are sure the new FF cameras will shake the world. And I am sure they mean it very honestly!

We have to wait and see for sure, of course.

10-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony never had a chance in the SLR market, not since they insisted on putting 'Sony' on the prism. Even if the a900 looked like a camera, they just never put it all together. They're an electronics company, not a camera company.

Business people may try to make equations, but there's a big difference. Pentax may be a little behind on electronics, but they're a *camera company.* Not an electronics company trying to brute-force a loss-leader.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-07-2011 at 05:35 PM.
10-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I thought when SLT was first introduced that it really made the most sense when paired with full frame, because full frame high ISO performance will soon be so absurd that you can afford to lose some light for the semi-transparent mirror system.

I'm crossing my fingers that Sony will come out with a FF with a mount I can put Pentax lenses on, so I don't have to even worry if Pentax ever comes out with a FF of their own. (Plus Zeiss and Alpha FF lenses aren't half bad to boot.)

10-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Sony never had a chance in the SLR market, not since they insisted on putting 'Sony' on the prism. Even if the a900 looked like a camera, they just never put it all together. They're an electronics company, not a camera company.

Business people may try to make equations, but there's a big difference. Pentax may be a little behind on electronics, but they're a *camera company.* Not an electronics company trying to brute-force a loss-leader.
I would agree with this. My worry is that cameras are becoming increasingly (every year) a gadget more than a camera. I think Sony understands this and is driving this market.
10-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Sony has been making cameras (video) since about 1970, longer than some other current players, and cameras (still) since about 1990, longer than any other digicam maker AFAIK. Sony didn't have the option to brand their dSLRs anything but SONY since their buyout of SLR ops from Konica-Minolta didn't include the Minolta name in the deal.

IMHO Sony's weakness in the dSLR market is more due to corporate fragmentation, with just not enough focus on this market segment. With the right management, Sony could be kick-ass in modern photo technologies. Sony is certainly much better positioned than rival Samsung, which is a much larger company. Don't underestimate Sony. They can bite.
10-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Sony has been making cameras (video) since about 1970, longer than some other current players, and cameras (still) since about 1990, longer than any other digicam maker AFAIK. Sony didn't have the option to brand their dSLRs anything but SONY since their buyout of SLR ops from Konica-Minolta didn't include the Minolta name in the deal.

IMHO Sony's weakness in the dSLR market is more due to corporate fragmentation, with just not enough focus on this market segment. With the right management, Sony could be kick-ass in modern photo technologies. Sony is certainly much better positioned than rival Samsung, which is a much larger company. Don't underestimate Sony. They can bite.
I think they do 'bite.' That's their problem and why they're out. 'Positioned?' They can't make a camera photogs want. What kind of 'position;is that? Who cares how they compare to Samsung or anyone? They have clever ideas once in a while, but never make a camera.
10-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
What I can also say is that my trusted sources are sure the new FF cameras will shake the world. And I am sure they mean it very honestly!
To an extent that phrase seems to me an indication that Sony are indeed planning to extend their SLT line (with additional further innovations) however there is always the worry (for Sony users) that they may actually diverge too far from traditional SLR camera design and we end up with a larger FF version of the NEX 7 ! Not literally of course but Sony do seem to push the envelope and in the very traditional world of SLR cameras that is not always a good thing.
10-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

however there is always the worry (for Sony users) that they may actually diverge too far from traditional SLR camera design and we end up with a larger FF version of the NEX 7 !
What's wrong with that? I would buy that if Sony made it. I'm currently having great fun using my K mount and M42 screw mount lenses on my NEX-5N - it's a great body for legacy glass with the peak focus and MF assist features.
10-08-2011, 02:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
What's wrong with that? I would buy that if Sony made it. I'm currently having great fun using my K mount and M42 screw mount lenses on my NEX-5N - it's a great body for legacy glass with the peak focus and MF assist features.
If you have read any of my posts/threads on the NEX then you'll know I love it for all the reasons you have just stated. However ask any FF user if they want a FF camera that looks like a 5N or 7 and I think you'll get your answer. Now if Sony were to introduce 3 FF cameras, two being improved versions of the a900 and one NEX 7/ Leica-like option then you may find a market for all three. That said if they continue with their current trend of digital rather than optical viewfinders their FF market may disappear.

I still don't understand though why any company would discontinue the only FF camera in their tiny SLR/SLT line-up with more than a year to go to it's replacement, way to go to alienate your support who may now decide to jump ship.
10-08-2011, 02:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

If you have read any of my posts/threads on the NEX then you'll know I love it for all the reasons you have just stated. However ask any FF user if they want a FF camera that looks like a 5N or 7 and I think you'll get your answer.
:-)

I'm a FF user (film) and I would love a "NEX9" (FF) - I'm not sure I ever want a bulky DSLR again (having said that, I am currently thinking of buying the next Canon FF - whether it's called 5D Mark III or 6F)

I must admit, I've never really liked the NEX look (small body, huge lenses) but now that I own a 5N I'm used to it.
10-08-2011, 04:17 AM   #15
Pentaxian

That is a rather odd comment, considering that the A900/850 have frequently been described by very experienced photographers as the most 'purist' of the modern full-frame dSLRs...