Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is the video I remembered showing the 300mm f2.8 and some other stuff.

10-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Danny Delcambre Quote
AF or MF??
AF, almost certainly.

(Well, both.)
10-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Well crap, I was already thinking the Samsung NX-20 would be my tantalizing pick for my EVIL MILF that can mount my Pentax lenses (vying for a spot with the GXR's M Mount unit), and I was also interested in the 16 mm f/2.4 lens. Now they had to release this roadmap.

Ricoh, unless you can come out with a Pentax Mirrorless soon I think I'll be doomed to buy me some Samsung as my K-5 companion, with my GXR as my sexy point and shoot. Don't make me do it!
10-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #19
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Always nice to have an informative response. I might have to check this out.
No. Samsung's glass are made by Optron-Tech. Korean company.
:+: ()? :+:

http://k-rumors.com/k4-optron-tec-is-the-exclusive-lens-provider-of-samsung/

10-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #20
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Yeah it looks like they have the rights to Pentax's optical formulas from the previous partnership (50-200, 12-24), but they're really making some of their own exciting lenses with the pancakes and the two you mentioned sound like really nice fast glass. My 135/2.5 Tak is pretty big though, I wonder if the 135/2 will be too big for that little body (Though my TAK is full frame).
Samsung 50-200 is ABSOLUTELY different from Pentax 50-200.
Another optical formula and dimension and weight.
10-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #21
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Here is the video I remembered showing the 300mm f2.8 and some other stuff.
Samsung NX Lens Developers Interview (Eng ver.) - YouTube
300/2.8 (Samsung said in another inteview) was made for NX mount, but it's just prototype now.
10-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Well crap, I was already thinking the Samsung NX-20 would be my tantalizing pick for my EVIL MILF

10-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #23
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Samsung 50-200 is ABSOLUTELY different from Pentax 50-200.
Another optical formula and dimension and weight.
I haven't taken many shots with my Samsung 50-200, but the few I have seem much sharper and more constrasty than the output I got from my Pentax 50-200.
10-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Samsung is way ahead of pretty much everyone imo with a logical lens lineup for a compact APSC camera. A 20mm, 30mm and 55mm prime. I wonder how the nx100+ 30mm stacks up to the K-r +35/2.4? And then there is the nx200...
10-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Considering how good the pic IQ you can get from the Samsung Galaxy S2 Smartphone with its dinky sensor I will be looking at this Samsung compact apsc with a new interest - especially with the abovementioned lens lineup
10-24-2011, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

I had been on the fence about the Samsung NX system ever since I reviewed the NX10 over a year ago; this roadmap tipped me over the edge and I just purchased an NX10 + 20-50mm + 30mm kit. The NX10 is far from perfect, but it's still the best MILC I've tested so far (for my needs and tastes—yours may vary), and it will tide me over until the NX20 hits stores in a few months. I'll also be purchasing the 16mm f/2.4 and 55mm f/1.8.

The reason I'm choosing the NX system is primarily because of the prime pancake lenses. There should definitely be zooms in a mirrorless lineup, but these cameras truly shine when you couple them with a pancake lens. The Sony NEX-7 seems like a fantastic body, but the primes are very large, and the zooms huge, completely negating the point of having a mirrorless camera in the first place. Samsung seem to get this, proven by the fact they released the 30mm f/2 from day 1 of the NX system. Meanwhile, we're still waiting for Pentax to issue a fastish, compact, affordable 30mm DA prime (no, the 35mm f/2.4 doesn't qualify) some 8 years after they released their first APS-C digital camera. The NX10 body has a Pentax feel about it, ergonomic, with many direct access buttons; I immediately felt at home the first time I picked it up.

Think about this, it took the µ4/3 players 2 years and 8 months (and 2 companies!) to produce a prime trio: Olympus 12mm f/2, Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and Olympus 45mm f/1.8. If Samsung stick to their roadmap, they'll have done it about 8 months quicker, and offering two options at the wide end, 16mm and 20mm. Furthermore, Panolympus still don't have a 90mm-equiv. macro or a 135mm-equiv f/1.4. Sony NEX still doesn't have an affordable, small normal prime for its system. I won't hammer the point in any further: Samsung are producing more primes than the rest of the mirrorless competition, and that's important to me.

Pentax can still come back and make a great MILC, but with Ricoh having the GXR I have my doubts that it will happen. I like the GXR a lot, but the lens choices aren't there yet, and I'm not sold on the whole concept of marrying the sensor to the lens. I also like being able to use (with limitations) all my manual focus Pentax primes on the NX10, but if the NX20 delivers what NX10 owners expect it will, I foresee selling much of my Pentax kit to purchase NX lenses.

Samsung might be a new player, but they are building quality optics at the right focal lengths, right size, and right price. In a way, they are doing in the mirrorless market what Pentax were doing a few years ago in the DSLR market.
10-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Miserere, what is it actually that you like about the NX product family? Is it the smallish fine lenses? Or the camera bodies also? The sensors today don't seem to be quite up to date - aren't they pretty much what yesteryear's K20D has? I wonder if there are signs of how good the next wave of Samsung sensors will be considering the K20D one was very good at the time.

I have been planning to get a MILC too, but am still hesitating about which one to get. NEX is most tempting at the moment and Samsung I have not really considered even though they could be bought pretty cheaply.
10-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Miserere, what is it actually that you like about the NX product family? Is it the smallish fine lenses? Or the camera bodies also? The sensors today don't seem to be quite up to date - aren't they pretty much what yesteryear's K20D has? I wonder if there are signs of how good the next wave of Samsung sensors will be considering the K20D one was very good at the time.

I have been planning to get a MILC too, but am still hesitating about which one to get. NEX is most tempting at the moment and Samsung I have not really considered even though they could be bought pretty cheaply.
Raffwal, I cut my previous post short as I could see it spiralling into a short novel, but seeing as you asked...

I like the NX10 (same as NX5 and NX11) body very much, as I said, because it feels Pentaxy; the best ergonomics of any mirrorless I've held. I would, however, move the EVF to the far left of the body, as the Fuji X100 and Sony NEX-7 have done.

The lenses: I think I was abundantly clear that I appreciate the wealth of primes Samsung has and will put out; I also see some nice zooms in the pipeline, such as the 12-24mm f/4 and 80-400mm f/4-5.6 (there are also rumoured 16-50mm f/2.8 and 50-135mm f/2.8 zooms but I wouldn't base a buying decision on these). Back to primes, Samsung is releasing small, fastish, affordable primes that will attract people like me into the system, and then they'll try to convince us to buy some of their premium line of primes. That's not just smart marketing, it also creates levels of usership and lowers the entry fee into the system: You can now get an NX10 + 30mm f/2 for under $600, and I could do 90% of my street photography with that kit. Once in, why wouldn't I buy a wideangle and short telephoto? And it's not like these lenses are bad as well as cheap—they're pretty damn good, optically!

Whether I stay in the system or not will depend on the NX20. Samsung has shown they can move laterally with the NX200, which is quite different from the NX100. Will the NX20 keep the great ergonomics and mature the limited firmware? Will the new sensor be competitive with Sony's IQ? If yes, then I'll stay' if not, I'll sell the lot and move on.

An aside about the sensor on the NX10 and NX11. It's not up to today's standards, and its max ISO of 3200 is limiting, but I can work around that, just like I've worked around my K10D's ISO 1600 ceiling. As I'm mainly a B&W shooter, I can get away with calling noise "grain", so that's an advantage a colour shooter won't have Nevertheless, the NX20 really needs to come out punching hard and offer similar IQ to the NEX-5n, because not everyone is willing to "work around" IQ issues like I am.

My problem with mirrorless right now is that there is no one company offering 100% of what I want; here are the strengths and pitfalls of each system, as I see them:
  • Sony NEX: Best sensor (16MP version); great body in the NEX-7; probably best EVF in the NEX-7 (though I haven't tried it). Painfully large lenses; small selection of compact primes with none planned.
  • Olympus µ4/3: Nice construction; best in-camera JPEGs; highly customisable, mature firmware. No body with incorporated EVF; only just released 2 quality fast primes last month; IQ at high ISO lags behind Sony NEX; slow autofocus until E-P3.
  • Panasonic µ4/3: The G1 and G2 offered the best EVF in town; many direct-access buttons on those bodies; 20mm f/1.7 lens is small, affordable and a great normal lens; fast autofocus. Like Olympus, Panny has been slow to release primes; lens line overlaps too much with Oly instead of complementing it.
  • Fuji X100: Great IQ; great lens; great ergonomics; awesome hybrid viewfinder. Clunky firmware; bad manual focus implementation; fixed lens.
  • Ricoh GXR: Great ergonomics; one of the best control systems (if not the best) in the mirrorless sector; built to last. Lenses and sensors are married (unless you're shooting M mount); sensor is below current standard at high ISO; not enough choice in lenses; no information on upcoming lens modules.
  • Samsung NX: Great ergonomics; nice EVF (but not best); great selection of primes (by mid 2012). AF slower than Panny's; sensor is below current standard at high ISO; small buffer slows down camera operation; firmware needs improvement.
My ideal camera would have the Samsung NX10 body (or maybe NEX-7 or Fuji X100), the NEX-5 sensor, Olympus firmware and JPEG engine, Panasonic AF, and Samsung lens line.
10-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #29
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Samsung NX: Great ergonomics; nice EVF (but not best); great selection of primes (by mid 2012). AF slower than Panny's; sensor is below current standard at high ISO; small buffer slows down camera operation; firmware needs improvement.
In Samsung's favor I'd also add their terrific AMOLED screens and beautiful, well-organized, easy to navigate, legible, and understandable menu system. Compare the NX menus to the Panasonic MFT menus...Samsung's are significantly better in every respect.
10-24-2011, 09:15 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
...but seeing as you asked...
Thanks, that was interesting. BTW, I found the NX10 review parts 1 & 2 on enticingthelight, but the link to part 3 did not seem to work. Was it ever released?

What turns me somewhat away from the NX10 (and Panasonic G3) is the pseudo-DSLR looks. But as I also really want a built-in VF, there isn't really that many to choose from. NEX-7 was promising, but who knows when it'll be available.