Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
I think the samsung behaves like a trained monkey in this case. I see no reason to have such a focal lengths on APS-C.

Can't say I agree on this.
Equivalent FL or not, I have the K135 and FA135, and they do very well for both people and landscape shots.

10-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I owned a Pentax-M 40mm f/2.8 for a while but never warmed up to it on my K10D, so I know what you mean. That said, one man's WTF focal length is another man's "normal", as attested by the many happy users of the DA 40. Also remember that way back in the day, 58mm was a pretty common normal lens, and Pentax also used 55mm as a normal. Goes to show you can't predict people's tastes
40mm is fine as long as it's fast. it's too bad Pentax didn't make it a 1.8 or f2 atleast. I'm not saying the DA40 is crap. it's still a magnificent lens but could had more potential if it has speed.
10-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
40mm is fine as long as it's fast. it's too bad Pentax didn't make it a 1.8 or f2 atleast. I'm not saying the DA40 is crap. it's still a magnificent lens but could had more potential if it has speed.
It wouldn't be a pancake then...

Mine is arriving tomorrow hopefully and I think it will be a great all-purpose lens. Good at everything even if it isn't magnificent at anything. And I think the reason that it's an awkward focal length is because a lot of people haven't used that focal length before. When I started using 50mm on APSC it was very awkward but now it's almost always on my camera with a 24/28 handy. It will be interesting to see how it works out. The 135mm focal length is a little long but it's nice for candid portraits where you aren't really engaged with your subject. I'm a little disappointed that the Samsung macro is 60mm though. I was hoping for something in the 100-135 range that could double as my telephoto.
10-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
It wouldn't be a pancake then...

Mine is arriving tomorrow hopefully and I think it will be a great all-purpose lens. Good at everything even if it isn't magnificent at anything. And I think the reason that it's an awkward focal length is because a lot of people haven't used that focal length before. When I started using 50mm on APSC it was very awkward but now it's almost always on my camera with a 24/28 handy. It will be interesting to see how it works out. The 135mm focal length is a little long but it's nice for candid portraits where you aren't really engaged with your subject. I'm a little disappointed that the Samsung macro is 60mm though. I was hoping for something in the 100-135 range that could double as my telephoto.
not as a pancake as it is now, but could still be possible to make it a pancake at f2. just look at the 30/2 that Samsung made, and the proposed 55/1.8 pancake. the 60mm is somehow of a mixed feeling to tell you the truth. from a telephoto macro perspective, it does fell short. all hope is that it has a tremendous resolution that would suffice the lack of focal length. other than that, it is looking to be a remarkable short macro and portrait lens which is good from my perspective. like I personally enjoyed the Sigma 70 for such purposes.

10-25-2011, 11:44 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
not as a pancake as it is now, but could still be possible to make it a pancake at f2. just look at the 30/2 that Samsung made, and the proposed 55/1.8 pancake. the 60mm is somehow of a mixed feeling to tell you the truth. from a telephoto macro perspective, it does fell short. all hope is that it has a tremendous resolution that would suffice the lack of focal length. other than that, it is looking to be a remarkable short macro and portrait lens which is good from my perspective. like I personally enjoyed the Sigma 70 for such purposes.
It's because of small flange length. With K-mount they have no such possibility.
10-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Miserere, I blame you. I just ordered an NX10 with the 30mm pancake just for the kicks! Not the camera I was planning to get, but I decided to give it a try after all. The lenses DO sound promising. And this thing cost about the same as a P&S, so why the heck no.
11-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Miserere, I blame you. I just ordered an NX10 with the 30mm pancake just for the kicks! Not the camera I was planning to get, but I decided to give it a try after all. The lenses DO sound promising. And this thing cost about the same as a P&S, so why the heck no.
Ha ha ha, I take no responsibility if you hate it. But I take full responsibility if you do like it

Are you into street photography? You'll find this a very nice combo for that.

12-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Sad... We're about to enter 2014, over 2 years after this thread went dormant, and Samsung have still not released the lenses on their 2012 roadmap. In case you forgot, they were:

55mm f/1.8 iFn pancake
12-24mm f/4 ED iFn VCM (Voice Coil Motor)
80-400mm f/4-5.6 OIS SSA iFn
135mm f/2 OIS SSA iFn
24mm f/1.8 ED SSA iFn

And the NX20 was not radically different to the NX10, and we're still waiting for an NX30. Well, I'm not waiting; I just purchased a Fuji X-E2 with a few excellent Fuji-X primes.

What the hell happened, Samsung???
12-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sad... We're about to enter 2014, over 2 years after this thread went dormant, and Samsung have still not released the lenses on their 2012 roadmap. In case you forgot, they were:

55mm f/1.8 iFn pancake
135mm f/2 OIS SSA iFn
24mm f/1.8 ED SSA iFn

And the NX20 was not radically different to the NX10, and we're still waiting for an NX30. Well, I'm not waiting; I just purchased a Fuji X-E2 with a few excellent Fuji-X primes.

Samsung has seemingly dropped the ball, but the 12-24(4-5.6) exists. They made a 45mm lens, instead of a 55mm pancake. It's really strange that they started so strong and then slowed to a crawl.
12-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #55
Veteran Member

55mm f/1.8 iFn pancake
135mm f/2 OIS SSA iFn
24mm f/1.8 ED SSA iFn

They need Apple to design them first...

Sorry, douldn't resist.
12-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Samsung has seemingly dropped the ball, but the 12-24(4-5.6) exists. They made a 45mm lens, instead of a 55mm pancake. It's really strange that they started so strong and then slowed to a crawl.
Yeah, the 12-24mm is not f/4 (and is it VCM?), and 45mm instead of 55mm? There is a bit of difference there, not to mention it's not a pancake.

Unless they release one heck of an NX30 and 4-5 lenses to go with it, I'm not sure who's going to take them seriously. And I wonder what the hell the NXF1 is going to be...