Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sony NEX peaking assist with fast lenses

So I wonder the most how accurate it is. I have a thought about buying the NEX-7 for using with A 50 f1.2, since I just can't nail the focus with the K-5 OVF, most of my successful f1.2 shots with this lens taken via the live view.

10-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
So I wonder the most how accurate it is. I have a thought about buying the NEX-7 for using with A 50 f1.2, since I just can't nail the focus with the K-5 OVF, most of my successful f1.2 shots with this lens taken via the live view.
It's extremely useful when using focus magnification. When viewing the full frame it's useful but somewhat prone to error. It's much better at finding stronger contrast edges than weaker ones, so for example with a person's face/head that's backlit, it will light up as in-focus when the edge of their head is in focus, rather than their eyes, etc.

I've got the OLED VF on the way from HK, so I'll see how much that helps.
10-13-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
It's extremely useful when using focus magnification. When viewing the full frame it's useful but somewhat prone to error. It's much better at finding stronger contrast edges than weaker ones, so for example with a person's face/head that's backlit, it will light up as in-focus when the edge of their head is in focus, rather than their eyes, etc.

I've got the OLED VF on the way from HK, so I'll see how much that helps.
ok, thank you )
Another question: Is there a function that detects faces and then magnifies the detected area?
10-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I can't say for sure, but it's not something I've come across so far.

10-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
While I would love to have a NEX 5N or 7 have you considered trying one of these on your K5? It would be a much cheaper solution for shooting with liveview. I don't know if it comes close to the NEX, which supposedly has awesome manual focus tools, but it might be good enough for you to nail the focus, and you can keep the A functionality, for less than the price of a KA adapter for the NEX.

http://www.amazon.com/Hoodman-H-LPP3-HoodLoupe-Professional-3-Inch/dp/B001N0...8523024&sr=1-1

Last edited by kenafein; 10-13-2011 at 11:03 AM.
10-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, look at the Hood Loupe as suggested by kenafien.
I've tried it at a shop and it works well. Forms a stable head+arms+camera viewing position as well rather than the arms out position with LV.

I did not buy one because of the price and attachment method, though.
It requires a metal frame that sticks to the LCD via good quality double sided tape.
That meant it was non-transferable from my K5 to my GF1 or another future camera w/o potential messy re-taping.

The NEX7 interests me, but I will revisit it in 2yrs to see if the small lenses ever turn up for the system. Else, I'd rather let Pentax earn my money.
10-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Got the OLED VF for the NEX-5N today and I have to say it increases my MF accuracy by a whole lot.

10-14-2011, 01:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Got the OLED VF for the NEX-5N today and I have to say it increases my MF accuracy by a whole lot.
Nice to hear it, glad for you!
BTW, how good it is compared to K-5 OVF?
10-14-2011, 01:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
While I would love to have a NEX 5N or 7 have you considered trying one of these on your K5? It would be a much cheaper solution for shooting with liveview. I don't know if it comes close to the NEX, which supposedly has awesome manual focus tools, but it might be good enough for you to nail the focus, and you can keep the A functionality, for less than the price of a KA adapter for the NEX.

http://www.amazon.com/Hoodman-H-LPP3-HoodLoupe-Professional-3-Inch/dp/B001N0...8523024&sr=1-1
The K-5 is too bulky.
10-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Nice to hear it, glad for you!
BTW, how good it is compared to K-5 OVF?
Well, a good OVF (and the K-5's is good) will always beat a good EVF in my opinion. However, this is one of the best EVFs I've ever used (maybe the best) and the ability to zoom in for focus checking is very, very handy. It's also cool that it swivels up 90 degrees.