Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A new boy on the street

Yes, I'm a Pentax fan, but some things are indeed missing with my K-5 (it is off to the doctor, AGAIN! Sigh!). That was an aside, actually, but there are some features I'd love if they were added, things this little beauty already have: Canon EOS-1D X professional DSLR announcement and overview: Digital Photography Review

For instance: double cards, hefty omboard processing (three in all: two amazing fast processors, and one just as good as my K-5's, just handling the AF), FX format would have been very welcome (APS-C is good enough for me, but even less noise (comes with bigger pixels - the EOS 1D X has FX format and just 18MP, so they are almost twice as big!).

But the real great detail is a highspeed Ethernet! WOW! And of course it can be controlled remotely (known as tethered), over the LAN!

In short, at a price lower than the 645D, it delivers a lot more (don't know if the price announced for the X includes a lens, though)!

10-18-2011, 05:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tord Quote
don't know if the price announced for the X includes a lens, though)
Probably not...the pro cameras usually come body only.

And about the 645D and this new beast i would say they are for different uses, and live in different leagues...
The ethernet is a nice feature and probably a very usefull one for some shooters, the fps will surely come handy too but the 645d offers image size and quality very usefull for some very specific applications (where fps and the other dx features are not particularly usefull)...
This new dx sure is impressive though, it makes me wonder what will Nikon anounce next to keep competing (the D4?).

I just hope this beast will make the 5D mark II, 1d mark III and ds price fall...
I might consider getting one of those depending on their new price . In fact i was considering the 5D2 already, with grip and spare battery it is at 2000, wich for that camera is a very nice price. You pair it with a good wide angle and you got a great imaging device for around 3000...
Or you can make a very atractive 50 f1,8 or 1,4, a 28 or the 24 f2,8 kit while keeping the price under 2700...in fact the 24 f2,8 or 28 f1,8 + 50 f1,8 + 85 f1,8 + 5D2 with grip would cost me 2930!
Damn! i'm salivating! gotta save some extra 1500 to get there though.
Pentax is nice but it's lenses ain't that much cheaper compared to canon upper end (They are cheaper but given the fact that i'm getting some small photo jobs like "the making of" of Thread i can consider spending 300 or 500 more on a lens ).
And i really would like to use canon 16-35 on such a body, and maybe some day one of those Tilt shift lenses like the 17mm, or the 50 f1,2....Plenty of exiting glass in Canon's lineup.

Last edited by Coeurdechene; 10-18-2011 at 05:19 AM.
Closed Thread