Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Lytro f2.0 Lightfield Camera Announced - Preorders start

I didnt think they were this far along...game changer?

"Lytro's unveiled the world's first shipping product -- a little something it calls the Lytro camera. With an f/2 lens brandished in anodized aluminum and a rubber focus ring, the consumer-friendly camera utilizes an 11-mega-ray light-field to power all that infinite focus magic. It's instant-on and wields only two physical buttons, one for shutter and the other for power. The company's added the ability to change the focus on-camera, a task accomplished via its multi-touch glass display.

It'll ship in two versions: the $399 8GB flavor can hold 250 pictures, and comes in graphite or blue, followed by a $499 16GB model, which sports an electric-red finish and stores up to 750 images. Pre-orders go live at Lytro's website today, and will ship in early 2012 on a first-come first-serve basis. The company has one on-hand today, though, so stay tuned for our hands-on!"

Lytro introduces world's first light field camera: f/2 lens, $399, ships early 2012 -- Engadget

Lytro camera up-close - Engadget Galleries

10-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lytro = The modern pinhole camera.
10-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Could be fun for dinky web stuff, but given that the $5k version from the German firm that's been making these maxes out at 1MP I think it'll be pretty useless for anything more.
10-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I've got a pre-order code that I signed up for fun; not 100% convinced and figure you can find them cheaper/better in another year or two.

I'd think it's better than just a pinhole although time will tell. Apparently you can export to JPG @21MP equivalent from the desktop app.

10-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #5

Interesting concept, but until they get the resolution up, I doubt I'll be interested. Might be a good iPhone app....

Besides, I get similar fun with Microsoft's photosynth app for the iPhone, which gives me a "google maps" view of my world...

Photosynth for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (4th generation), iPad 2 Wi-Fi and iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G on the iTunes App Store,
10-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tsammyc Quote
Interesting concept, but until they get the resolution up, I doubt I'll be interested. Might be a good iPhone app....

Besides, I get similar fun with Microsoft's photosynth app for the iPhone, which gives me a "google maps" view of my world...

Photosynth for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (4th generation), iPad 2 Wi-Fi and iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G on the iTunes App Store,
Huh? Are we talking about the same thing here? This is not a software to manipulate images or give it special effects. This is a technology that captures light differently from the traditional camera.
10-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes, this Lytro camera is a totaly new concept in image capture.. I think it will change a lot of manufacturers idea's of what their next camera should be able to do! I just wonder if you will be able to choose to focus on more than one object, as I did not see that in the brief video preview I saw, but all things considered, I do not see why it would not be possible.
10-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Some shots of the focus point manipulation in the 2nd video here: Lytro camera hands-on (video) -- Engadget

10-20-2011, 02:40 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote
Huh? Are we talking about the same thing here? This is not a software to manipulate images or give it special effects. This is a technology that captures light differently from the traditional camera.
I'm well aware of the "advanced" technology, but to me practically, its just a picture that I click on and different parts come into focus. Photosynth is different but similar in that you use a mouse or finger swipe to see a larger 3D view. Surely someone could come up with photosynth type software that takes multiple shots of a scene at different depths of field and stitches it all together so that one can use a software application to click to bring different parts into focus. Lytro is cool, but not much more than photosynth unless there is something it can do that I haven't tried.
10-20-2011, 08:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
"Lytro's unveiled the world's first shipping product -- a little something it calls the Lytro camera. With an f/2 lens brandished in anodized aluminum and a rubber focus ring, the consumer-friendly camera utilizes an 11-mega-ray light-field to power all that infinite focus magic.[/URL]
Oooh, I love 11 mega-rays and the infinite focus magic! But if it's infinite focus, why does it need a focus ring?

QuoteOriginally posted by tsammyc Quote
Surely someone could come up with photosynth type software that takes multiple shots of a scene at different depths of field and stitches it all together so that one can use a software application to click to bring different parts into focus.
A couple months ago I posted news of a Samsung patent for a twin-lens twin-sensor phone-size camera: one lensor shoots sharp, the other shoots fuzzy, and the software blends them as you wish.
10-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It's actually a zoom ring, I think.
10-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
full size image in article:

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1073136--new-camera-allows-users-to-shoot-first-focus-later#photo
10-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #13

I hoped this would be something really revolutionary - a real paradigm shift.
After the official presentation, it seems to me nothing more than a gimmick that managed to attract heavy attention.
10-22-2011, 05:25 AM   #14
Banned

Does it have OIS @8x zoom ? I could get better images & HD video from my Panasonic GH1 w/14-42mm OIS zoom that cost $375. My phone has 8mp stills and 720p HD video and my 64GB iPod Touch also shoots 720p HD video. $399 seems like a high cost for a Facebook camera.