Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do you shoot Canon or Nikon?

So I am known at my church (it's a big congregation 200+ weekly active people) as the Photo-guy. So today while at an early Halloween party I was asked: What do you guys shoot? Canon or Nikon? Naturally I chuckled a little bit, and responded neither. The lady (who is no slouch at photography herself) was completely confused. I let her sit for a beat or two before I continued, "I shoot Pentax and my wife shoots Olympus". I don't think she is a Canikon snob. It's just that I don't know if she knew that there were other camera brands out there. Either way. It made my evening. Great chance to represent and break some preconceived notions.

It was even better to let her know that my k200d was the entry level model 4 years ago.

10-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moved out of the pentax section

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-23-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

"And there I stood with my Praktica..."
--Meredith Wilson, paraphrased
10-23-2011, 01:45 AM   #4

Heh, yeah I understand your pleasure.....many years back I was placed in some big competitions ( 3rd) and I did quite a few weddings for friends as the back up guy that gets all the candids and personal moments, crowd reactions etc whilst the pros are doing the set piece stuff.

I used to get more people using my negatives for reprints and blow ups that the pros did, and I was there with my trusty Yashica FXD bodies, tamron sp lenses and Vivitar 285 flash and the pros all had canikon

Tha is why when I went digital, I went to scope out the K20D and was shown the GX20 side by side for less money, a two year warranty and a cash back via cheque in the post after purchase......otherwise I would have a K20D now

Oh and my son went Olympus and has a range of fine Olympus zuikon lenses and a very versatile flash. Only 8meg body but at the time it outperfoemed consumer level 10meg Canons. The other reason he went Olympus was the international warranty, we bought it on vacation in the USA at the excellent Ritz Camera store on the main road outside of the Florida Mall in Orlando. Neither Canon nor Nikon at that time in the UK would honour the warrenty on a camera purchased in the USA.

10-23-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
Banned

All Canon and Nikon on Amazon top 20 DSLRs

Amazon Best Sellers: Best Digital SLR Cameras
10-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Really is no different from people asking you if you use Windows or "Mac". If people aren't particularly interested in something they are not likely to be familiar with more than the major players. Then they run across some Linux nerd who gets all smug and takes the opportunity to preach about why their choice is obviously superior...
10-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I came up with a great, off-the-cuff response to this question one time:
No, Canon and Nikon are what people who fall for TV ads buy. Those who really know about photography shoot Pentax.
"Ohh," she said with wide eyes.
Not true, of course, but I liked it.
10-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
Banned

when I’m asked this question (and I have been asked this very question a number of times) I always just hold my camera up so they can see it. (the pentax name, the k-7 emblem, even the SR logo are all covered up with black tape). the usual response is, what is that? and I simply say ‘a camera.’ and thats pretty much where it ends.

10-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aardvark Quote

...Oh and my son went Olympus and has a range of fine Olympus zuikon lenses and a very versatile flash. Only 8meg body but at the time it outperfoemed consumer level 10meg Canons. The other reason he went Olympus was the international warranty, we bought it on vacation in the USA at the excellent Ritz Camera store on the main road outside of the Florida Mall in Orlando. Neither Canon nor Nikon at that time in the UK would honour the warrenty on a camera purchased in the USA.
I have yet to find a lens sharper than the Zuiko 50mm f2 macro. However, for my stuff I still prefer Pentax.
10-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
I have yet to find a lens sharper than the Zuiko 50mm f2 macro. However, for my stuff I still prefer Pentax.
Olympus Zuiko Digital 50 mm f/2.0 Macro ED Image resolution :

Voigtlander Nokton 25 mm f/0.95 :
10-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Really is no different from people asking you if you use Windows or "Mac". If people aren't particularly interested in something they are not likely to be familiar with more than the major players. Then they run across some Linux nerd who gets all smug and takes the opportunity to preach about why their choice is obviously superior...
/thread.

c[_]
10-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Olympus Zuiko Digital 50 mm f/2.0 Macro ED Image resolution :

Voigtlander Nokton 25 mm f/0.95 :
You are aware those two were not tested on the same body, right?