Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Built-in VF or not, what makes this camera special?

I saw something about sensitivity approaching Sony, which is probably (by my guess) closer to rumor than reality. Otherwise, it looks like other µ43 bodies.
I get consistently clean ISO1600 from my GH2, and have manage clean ISO3200 as well:

If the GX1 uses the G3 sensor, then it will be at the same level as the GH2 and maybe even a half-stop better. Pair that with the excellent 20mm/F1.7, and you have a very good low light camera that fits in your jacket pocket. As good as the K-5? No, but the K-5 won't fit in my pocket, even with the DA40.

QuoteQuote:
BTW, I'm uneducated about the Panasonic camera line. I'm really wonder what the fuss is about when from where I sit it looks like an evolution of one of the basic µ43 body types. Does this camera provide wonderful new features or permit different approaches to photography?
Yes, it is an evolution. Many owners of the GF1 have sat on the sidelines as Panasonic has released successors (GF2, GF3) that have veered away from serious amateurs and towards P&S upgraders with each generation. The GX1 is the spiritual successor of the GF1. I'm not as smitten with the rangefinder aesthetic, so I'd probably lean towards the G3 with the EVF and tilt-swivel screen if I was in the market.

QuoteQuote:
EDIT: To answer my own question: 43 Rumors | Blog | (FT5) Sources explains why "The GX1 is much better than you think".
Summary:
• sexy looking
• high quality
• better IQ from similar sensor (probably means they cook JPG better than before)
Yea, probably. But some people like haptics and will be influenced by them in their purchase decision. For example, I love the way the K-5 feels in my hand compared to the GH2.

11-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Thanks for the good reply, John.
11-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
I'm really wonder what the fuss is about when from where I sit it looks like an evolution of one of the basic µ43 body types.
As John said, it is an evolution (of the GF1), but it's an evolution that the 'faithful' have been waiting for for quite a while...

Keep in mind that appearances don't make a camera - after all, a Nikon D700 and D300 look near identical on the outside
11-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #19
Banned

LUMIX GX1 from Panasonic - Features video

Last edited by jogiba; 11-07-2011 at 01:00 PM.
11-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #20
Site Supporter

"Light speed AF" sounds good.

AFF (autofocus flexible) sounds good too. It appears to work like Nikon's 3D Focus Tracking, which is a crazy good way of keeping a subject in focus.
11-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll probably spring for the GX1 or the G3 with a prime or two and general purpose zoom. What I'm really wanting is a PEN with a built in EVF and better sensor. Until then, I'll go with the Panasonic and if Oly never makes the exact camera I want, Panasonic will probably keep me happy.
02-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Here a link to DPReview of it Panasonic DMC GX1 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

I for one love this camera! its near perfect carry anywhere, if you want the EVF just put it on! The video functionality isn't as good but that doesn't bother me