Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Vivitar Lens

HI Guys

i have a vivitar 100-300mm lens that i was given some time back. All seems to work ok with this on my K-y except i cannot get it to recognise when the lens is set to the A setting on the aperture ring.

Anyone have any idea why this would be _ it was orginaly my dads lens that they used on their old pentax bodies (cant remember the model even but film cameras)

appreciate any ideas here

Adrian

10-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lens might be broken- does the A setting work on another body?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-01-2011, 01:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks Adam the thought did occur to me but i dont have another body to try.......does anybody know how the A setting actually works??
11-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try reading Features and Operation of the Ka Mount

11-01-2011, 01:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

When you set the aperture ring to A one of the contacts on the mount is connected to the rest of the mount. Usually (but not always) this is done by a "pin" (looks more like a ball) popping out of the lens. If this is stuck, the A settings won't work. (The other pins are used too, but this is the part that seems like it might break.)

It's the pin that mates with the (only) recessed contact on the mount. (That is, the only little circle that isn't the top of a pin on the body, but rather a shallow pit.)

Edit: And I'm slow. Of course.
11-01-2011, 02:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks Douglas ill have a read of that and see if it tells me anything

Drougge- i was sort of after how it actually works - is it based on resistance or something similar?
11-01-2011, 07:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It's just connected or not. Binary, if you prefer. One pin for "A mode enabled", and the others to encode the aperture range.

Edit: See http://www.robertstech.com/matrix.htm for encoding.

11-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks Drougge.......ok starting to understand this.

It appears in this case that the A pin (the one that pops out from the lens when set to A) carries 3.3V from the camera body to the lens. This 3.3V must be then supplied to the actually lens mount through a resistor where it connects to other contacts on the camera body (or not connects depending on the lens). In this instance it seems that the connection between the A pin on the lens and the mount on the lens is open circuit so the body doesnt see it as an A lens.

I have taken the mount off the lens and think i can see whats wrong but will need to take it to work and have a look under the microscope to be sure. Ill do that and post a pic or two for those who are interested.

Adrian
11-02-2011, 02:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok well as promised here is an update for anyone who is interested.

so if you have a look at the following picture it shows the back of the lens mount

and here is a closer view so you can see the action

so at location marked 1 is the pin that connects to the 'A' connection on the camera - this provides 3.3V from the camera to this pin. My first assumption was that the voltage carried along the track from location 1 to location 2 and then onto 3 where it 3 created the connection to the lens mount - but this turned out to be incorrect. There is a split in the track essentially at location 2 - and i now think that this break in the track is to seperate the Pentax A connection and the Ricoh A connection. (Ricoh pin at location 3)

So what was the problem well if you look at location 2 you can see an extra leaf connection sitting above the main track - this is supposed to be pushed down to make connection to the main track by the little nodule shown in the following photo

it seems that the nodule has worn down (it is only plastic on the aperture ring) to the point that it no longer makes the leaf spring touch the main track.

So the circuit actually works 'A' pin supplying 3.3 volts - runs along the track and when the aperture ring is the A setting the voltage goes through the leaf spring shown (at 2 above) and to the lens mount through the mounting screw that holds that leaf spring in place.

So what do i do to fix it - well i dont have much choice here - i will put a dab of solder between the extra leaf spring (at 2) and make it a permanent connection which means it will always be in auto aperture mode - suits me anyway.

If nothing else i learnt something and i hope someone else does too.

If anyone wants more info let me know and ill be happy to explain further

Adrian
11-02-2011, 03:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
and again for anyone interested i have taken a couple of shots with the Auto Ap working

first one wide open

and second one at F22

11-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
for anyone interested - i am very pleased with the shots taken from this lens now set in the A position - i was a little concerned that this old lens might not produce the best shots but they are quite pleasing