Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #1

The term "Canikon"?

After joining the Pentax forums, I found the term interesting. I find Nikon more like Pentax rather than Canon-both have the best backward compatibility. I know there's some arrogance among Nikon users, but it seems to be worse with Canon. For years all of my gear was Nikon. Not because I think Nikon is better, but I decided to have all my gear compatible with each other(I started with Nikon). But I've always had the thought of getting a 645 and maybe a 35mm or DSLR by Pentax-I've always liked their stuff. But Canon-never cared for their photo gear. They screwed their loyal users when they changed the lens mount for the AF era.

I ordered a K-r yesterday. Their bodies are very attractively priced, but I'm discovering that shopping for Pentax lenses is not going to be a picnic. Looking at new and used lenses, many are priced what I call "over the top" just like Nikon.

***I'm not trying to start a brand war. That is not the intent of this thread.

11-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's a term meant to imply, among other things, a sheeplike-follower mentality of the masses. Of course, not every Canikon owner falls into that category, nor do they all have micro genitals or cramped colons. It just seems that way :-)

I just bought a Canon P&S tonight to replace the Samsung which refused to turn on.

Bah. Baahhh....
11-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think it's a term that came up due to the sheer amount of Nikon and Canon users out there, as compared to practically any other brand.
11-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Although it can be used as a derogatory term (bah baaah as Special K said) it is more often than not just a quicker, easier way of writing out Canon / Nikon in full.

Welcome to the brand - the Kr is a great camera and I'm sure you are going to love it. Buying Pentax lenses need not be expensive if you use the vast back catalogue and/or are not afraid of manually focusing lenses. Let us know what you are looking for and you'll get a great response/advice, hopefully you ordered the Kr with the kit 18-55 which is an absolute steal and often rated as the best kit lens out there and is WR too !

11-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote

Welcome to the brand - the Kr is a great camera and I'm sure you are going to love it. Buying Pentax lenses need not be expensive if you use the vast back catalogue and/or are not afraid of manually focusing lenses. Let us know what you are looking for and you'll get a great response/advice, hopefully you ordered the Kr with the kit 18-55 which is an absolute steal and often rated as the best kit lens out there and is WR too !
Yes I got the white K-r with 18-55 lens. And I do plan on getting manual focus lenses-that was part of the reason I went with the K-r. The cheapest Nikon that meters with manual lenses is $1200. Right now I've got my eye on a couple of A lenses-135 2.8 and 70-210 f/4. KEH has them for very reasonable prices, but can't buy now. That's a project for later.
11-09-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LightMeter Quote
Yes I got the white K-r with 18-55 lens. And I do plan on getting manual focus lenses-that was part of the reason I went with the K-r. The cheapest Nikon that meters with manual lenses is $1200. Right now I've got my eye on a couple of A lenses-135 2.8 and 70-210 f/4. KEH has them for very reasonable prices, but can't buy now. That's a project for later.
That was a good buy then. Let us know what you are shooting and we can give you tips - the 135/2.8 is an excellent lens.
11-10-2011, 12:48 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I think it came about simply because (in terms of numbers), Canon and Nikon basically are dSLR photography... And in terms of models (lenses and bodies) they have very similar line-ups...

11-10-2011, 12:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I find Nikon more like Pentax rather than Canon-both have the best backward compatibility.
The cheapest Nikon that meters with manual lenses is $1200.
Hmm.

The way both Canon and Nikon gimp their entry level and mid-range models was a dealbreaker for me, including the metering issue mentioned here. I don't trust either one to stick with their mounts either. Both have shown a willingness to strand their users and make them re-purchase the same glass in a new mount, in order to use newer bodies.

To my eyes, Canon and Nikon both behave more like American corporations, with short term greed being the ultimate motivating factor. Pentax, on the other hand, behaves more like a traditional Japanese corporation, and even a good one at that. They have been very very faithful to their customers when it comes to compatibility and mounts, and they really don't make things unnecessarily difficult for people with even their entry level models.

What it boils down to for me is this: A K-5 will do some things better than my K-r, but there are very few things the K-5 can do that my K-r is unable to. Conversely, there's an awful lot a D7000 can do that a D3100 simply can't, be it not in the build, or crippled in the firmware.
11-10-2011, 01:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I find Nikon more like Pentax rather than Canon-both have the best backward compatibility.
Professionals and deep-pocketed amateurs may find Nikon more "compatible" than some of us, since they can ignore the entry-level stuff. My Nikkor 20mm lens won't even meter manually on my Nikon D40. If I put it on a Pentax body, it works beautifully, complete with auto metering. Nikon cripples their cheaper bodies in ways that make me laugh when people tout Nikon's "compatibility." The D7000 is, I think, currently the least expensive Nikon that's backwards compatible with that lens and others like it. The same goes for auto-focus; if you have an auto-focus lens for Pentax, it doesn't matter which Pentax body you put it on.
11-10-2011, 02:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It's an abbreviation of Canikonympus.
11-10-2011, 03:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
Professionals and deep-pocketed amateurs may find Nikon more "compatible" than some of us, since they can ignore the entry-level stuff. My Nikkor 20mm lens won't even meter manually on my Nikon D40. If I put it on a Pentax body, it works beautifully, complete with auto metering. Nikon cripples their cheaper bodies in ways that make me laugh when people tout Nikon's "compatibility." The D7000 is, I think, currently the least expensive Nikon that's backwards compatible with that lens and others like it. The same goes for auto-focus; if you have an auto-focus lens for Pentax, it doesn't matter which Pentax body you put it on.
dont you think its a easier decision for pentax ..it only has two Dslrs..where as nikon have 6 Dslr in its line up...I think that nikon has done whats its done to the D5100 and the D3100 to keep costs down....plus it wants a upgrade path.

the D7000 and the K5 are a similar price point....both meter with any older lenses ..

canikon is used in this forum often as a pentax small man syndrome..
11-10-2011, 05:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
To my eyes, Canon and Nikon both behave more like American corporations, with short term greed being the ultimate motivating factor. Pentax, on the other hand, behaves more like a traditional Japanese corporation, and even a good one at that. They have been very very faithful to their customers when it comes to compatibility and mounts, and they really don't make things unnecessarily difficult for people with even their entry level models.
I'd dispute that... I know my SMC Pentax 50/f1.2 meters perfectly in Aperture Priority on my Panasonic GH2 - definitely doesn't do that on my Dad's K-7 Isn't it referred to as the 'crippled' K-mount?
11-10-2011, 05:54 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
dont you think its a easier decision for pentax ..it only has two Dslrs..where as nikon have 6 Dslr in its line up...I think that nikon has done whats its done to the D5100 and the D3100 to keep costs down....plus it wants a upgrade path.

the D7000 and the K5 are a similar price point....both meter with any older lenses ..
I don't particularly have a problem with either Canon or Nikon, but I think for both companies they cripple lower end cameras to protect upper end cameras. A lot of the crippling is purely software -- not hardware, so lack of bracketing, etc could be added without any problem, except it wouldn't give people impetus to buy up. Pentax doesn't have to protect the K5 from the kr -- differences have more to do with sealing, build and penta prism -- and so features aren't as limited with the entry level camera, at least from a software stand point.

To the OP: Canon and Nikon have about 85 percent of the market between them and a lot of people buy their cameras, mainly because they are big and wouldn't buy a Pentax because they aren't a big name. That said, I personally haven't heard anyone disparage my Pentax cameras because they weren't Canon or Nikon (although others on this forum seem to have heard such comments) and older photographers have fond memories of Pentax.
11-10-2011, 06:44 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Joining the Canon-Nikon terms makes some historic sense. When the company that became Canon started in the '30s (by 3 men), they planned to make a the mechanical "instrument" part of the camera, and had an agreement with Nippon Kogaku (later became Nikon) to provide the lenses and rangefinders. That didn't last long, but Nippon Kogaku continued to make lenses in the Leica thread mount for other Japanese camera makers. (I have a Nicca with Nippon Kogaku lens.) Of course, both Canon and Nikon made rangefinder "clones" of Leica and Contax in the 50s. It took Asahi to decide the future was SLR! Even then Asahi didn't go with the market flow.
11-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I'd dispute that... I know my SMC Pentax 50/f1.2 meters perfectly in Aperture Priority on my Panasonic GH2 - definitely doesn't do that on my Dad's K-7 Isn't it referred to as the 'crippled' K-mount?
It's not quite as convenient, but would you prefer to use M mode and the green button, or not be able to meter at all, a la Nikon? At least Pentax does maintain an alternative method for using these old lenses.