Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been considering buying the Fuji X10 myself. I need a compact with a decent viewfinder. LCD alone does not do it for me. Thanks for the post.

11-15-2011, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
After four days of some fairly heavy shooting, I have yet to find much I don't like about this little camera...and tons of things I do. I think I am in love with it almost as much as my K5....I did say almost!

For those of you thinking of a small camera, do keep in mind that there are lots of choices out there, depending on your needs or required specifications. I'm very enthused about this camera, but since it was my choice, it follows that I would be...provided it delivers to my expectations and it certainly does.

I did a lot of looking at reviews and making comparisons, which is always a good idea in order to avoid disappointment. Still, sometimes we make mistakes.......but not for me this time.

What I am finding I like best is that I can go about my business and have the x10 in my jacket pocket for those shots where you only get a few seconds to get the image......like this one today as I visited a shop downtown....

I had a few words with him....told him I was learning to use the x10 and he told me he was also a beginner just learning to drive......
[IMG] [/IMG]

He will probably be a better driver than I will be a good shooter, but we will both have fun learning!

Best Regards!
11-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
JP.....Capable hands are out there, but they don't belong to me! I'm just now learning the Menu...but I can tell you,it is as easy to use as they come. I think you might like it!
I just might indeed.
By the way, all this food ... !!! ... No way this fits into one's stomach !!

JP
11-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JP....I was looking around this morning to see what I could learn since I am not a Fuji shooter and need to learn their system a little to better use this camera, and I saw this thread.....it is those "more capable" hands I was talking about. I think this guy knows how to use a Fuji! X10 a few quickies.: Fujifilm Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Interesting!
... and amazing what one can do with that small camera.

Do you find the focal range quite adequate for your uses, and as a backup to your DSLR?

JP

11-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Interesting!
... and amazing what one can do with that small camera.

Do you find the focal range quite adequate for your uses, and as a backup to your DSLR?

JP
Actually, I do find the range to be excellent for my intentions. I have tried to shoot a few Squirrels with it, and since they all know me it isn't hard to get close enough, but it is certainly not a wildlife shooter.

Pretty nasty bokeh compared to my 50-500 Bigma on the K5....
[IMG] [/IMG]

Otherwise, it is a a perfect range for landscapes, people, and street shooting. Just guessing.......but I am betting it might even do some nice portrait work with my studio strobes. It has a hot shoe for wireless operation, and I intend to try it for fun soon. Perfect range for studio shooting. It also shoots Raw.
If I found anything I didn't like about it to this point....you can bet I would tell you, but I just haven't. Well, the Menus are a mystery to unravel.......

Best Regards!
11-16-2011, 06:09 AM   #36
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards!
I'm glad you explained the picture.
You posted a picture of yourself with your Jeep once, so before I read the text, my first thought was "Jim, you've done something different with your hair."
11-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm glad you explained the picture.
You posted a picture of yourself with your Jeep once, so before I read the text, my first thought was "Jim, you've done something different with your hair."
Jim, are you insinuating that the doggie is better looking than me? That is just ridiculous! We'll just let the viewers decide.......

[IMG] [/IMG]

Didn't help your breakfast, did it?

Regards!

BTW- Isn't that a fine looking hat! It's only about 70 years old....I can recall when my Grandmother was always after my Grandad to trash it....now Mrs Rupert does the same with me when I wear it. I like it because the crown lifts off when you get to sweaty...

11-16-2011, 09:34 AM   #38
Pentaxian

How is the high ISO on the x10? I see a lot of flash fill. Maybe someone should start a "Show us your x100/x10" thread. There seems to be a lot of the users here.

What the x10 and cameras like it, I find, is that people are comfortable with small cameras pointed at them. When you have a big black DSLR with a large zoom attached, they seem to get nervous.
11-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #39
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Jim, are you insinuating that the doggie is better looking than me?
I assure you that I am not insinuating it.
11-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Not that I could afford one, Rupert, but what is that, like a little superzoom in a Canonet-sized package? (A very appealing idea to me: if I want a little camera, I like the does-all lens and sometimes wish it was faster. My standards of 'small' are based on carrying two SLR bodies everywhere I go. I still love my little FZ-7 for 'little.' )

Surely looks quite smart, but I wonder what the zoom range corresponds to. (Also, how *do* you see what your exposure is? I gather it's a zoomey optical viewfinder? Does it have controls? Can you fall back on the LCD if you need to? )

Does *look* just right, though.
11-17-2011, 06:49 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Rupert,

Thanks for the posting of your first impressions, appreciated indeed! I have considered it for few months, since the anouncement, and for the very reasons you have mentioned. I wanted to see at least a week of feedback on this camera from various sources...

Mine is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow... Actually quite excited to have a compact, but quality camera I can carry with me at all times, I hope I like it.

Regards,
D
11-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
D....You WILL love it! It is one of only two cameras (K5) in the world that carries the "Otis Guarantee"....you are familiar with that, right?

Jim....You are a true friend!

Tuco...You are right about the size not intimidating....no one seems to get nervous with a small camera. The ISO....up to 1600 is very good, 3200 is very usable....beyond that becomes questionable, depending on the scene. The very fast lens does keep the need for high ISO limited.

Ratlady...Although I have heard some complaints on the optical viewfinder, for me it is wonderful. It just works perfectly in bright light, is alwasy in focus at any zoom length, and is bright and clear. The range is 28-112 in 35mm terms...perfect for general use. The LCD is also excellent for use instead of the viewfinder, and very sharp and clear.
The lens is super fast...and so is the FPS...
You would love this camera, no doubt. Controls.....almost as many as my K5 and all in a nicely arranged set up with solid dials etc.......I'm not thrilled with the Menus system, but in time will learn it...I think?

Regards to all!

It is not a Squirrel shooter...but will do in a pinch. For general walkabout shooting it is wonderful. Almost foolproof...just what I need!
[IMG] [/IMG]

For candids it is fast and accurate, and the WB is superb.
[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

I think I could do 80-90% of my shooting with this little jewel...and probably will. It is just so much fun to use! I am not an advanced shooter, but if I was the K5 and the zx10 would be all I think I could ever desire.

Best Regards!
Rupert

BTW- It's only a day late to wish me a happy birthday! If you saw that old Rupert shot above, you don't have to guess my age......just a few years younger than Jim, it appears?
11-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I added a little Sunpak PF20XD Flash unit to my x10. It fits nicely and gives a little extra power if needed. Manual operation, and a little tricky, but easy enough to use when necessary. Very inexpensive and does not increase the bulk of the camera much....

In and out of the case......

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

A sample shot in a dark room....
[IMG] [/IMG]

I'm still loving this little camera! It is truly fascinating to use!
Best Regards!
11-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Ratlady...Although I have heard some complaints on the optical viewfinder, for me it is wonderful. It just works perfectly in bright light, is alwasy in focus at any zoom length, and is bright and clear. The range is 28-112 in 35mm terms...perfect for general use. The LCD is also excellent for use instead of the viewfinder, and very sharp and clear.
The lens is super fast...and so is the FPS... Fujifilm X10 Camera @ 10FPS - YouTube
You would love this camera, no doubt. Controls.....almost as many as my K5 and all in a nicely arranged set up with solid dials etc.......I'm not thrilled with the Menus system, but in time will learn it...I think?

Heh, neat. New menus and all can be hard: any time some user interface changes, I've got to learn to find everything again. (Probably the best case for brand loyalty in my personal case, even if with a non-SLR you have a lot more to pick from.) Does seem a comfy range for good IQ. (One reason I like my little superzoom for a compact is that the little fellow can grab details with the really narrow FOV and all.

Oops, I didn't complete this post, ...I really do approve. Looks a decent size, too: seems maybe not excessively-teeny. It's a good sign, though, ...I've often thought that the compact tech would find a lot of niches: I really did like the Lumix I got years ago, on concept and design and all, ...just the performance just wasn't there yet in a lot of ways: (I'd kind of been hoping the little guy would let me do all my serious stuff in film and still do the gotta-have-it-now-digital stuff for a few jobs. Just too slow in some ways. )

(Are you sure that little Sunpak is voltage-safe? That looks like a handy little thing. I like small strobes, too: I use flash very little, and so little that often the pop-up turned down is just fine.
11-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ratlady, the x10 is just about the perfect size for me...fits nicely in my hands. I am slowly learning the Menus...they are extensive and then you add in that EXR setting and becomes a little confusing, but I am mastering it little by little.

Just located the Scene Settings today...thought that would be just a gimmick...it's not! One I like is where the camera takes two shots at one time, very rapidly...one with flash and one without. Very neat to have a choice from the two created photos. There are many other neat settings I have discovered...I think I am going to have a lot of fun!
Best Regards!