Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #31

there's a third party grip for NEX, but why would you use long lenses with an NEX? I hold it up in front of me, stretching the neckstrap all the way, instead of putting up against my face - but I wouldnt use the 100-300 on it for sure.

Last edited by jackseh; 11-19-2011 at 05:18 PM.
11-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stan, not sure if you make prints or not, but Carl Weese, who is considered a good printer, talks about the detail he can get out of m4/3 very favorable to APS-C when it comes to printing

Working Pictures: Technical Notes: Testing the Pentax K5: no pix this post
11-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That was a good read RyanW.

All the information I've gathered from this thread has been so helpful - but I am not here to start a war of APS-C vs. M4/3. If it were not for my issue of holding a heavy camera/lens I wouldn't even be here asking about these small cameras. But after reading articles like the above and others, I comfortably feel I can work with the Lumix system to achieve similar results I am getting now.

And Tord and others - I have looked briefly at the NEX camera and others, but discounted them right away for the lack of view finder. I think it is going to be difficult enough to get used to a new system, but won't even try a camera without a viewfinder right now. That is how I came to the point I am at right now narrowing it down to the Panasonic Lumix line.

I'm 99% sold on the M4/3 system from the great info here and some intense reading/research the past few days - I do believe that a kit like this will enable me to shoot much more than I do now.

I've narrowed it down to either the new G3 or the GH2. Pros and Cons:

G3 Pros:
Newer sensor that is supposed to be better at higher ISO
Half the price of the GH2

G3 Cons:
Much smaller body with hardly a finger grip
Less manual controls
SD card door on bottom of camera
Manual switch for moving from the LCD screen to the EVF

GH2 Pros
Larger body with somewhat of a finger grip (which might be the deciding factor as my issue is holding on to things)
Many more manual controls (which I am used to with my K20D)
SD Card door on the side - can remove card when on a tripod
Automatic change from LCD screen to the EVF

GH2 Cons
Price (double the price of a G3)
Slightly less higher ISO performance

Honestly I am leaning toward the GH2 right now as my main issue with this quest is something I can hold. The GH2 is only 2 oz. heavier so the weight difference is not an issue. I very well might end up ordering both cameras from a vendor with a good return policy, then return one.

Last edited by stormtech; 11-19-2011 at 06:23 PM.
11-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
If you plan on using longer zooms, than perhaps the GH2 is a better ergonomic option. The price has been dropping too - I've read reports of $1200 for the GH2 + 14-140. They're also releasing a firmware update next month that promised improved low light performance among other things.
Panasonic announces upcoming firmware update for DMC-GH2: Digital Photography Review
Now that I have narrowed this down, I've been doing some pricing - and yes, I found the GH2 w/ 14-140 for $1200 at B&H - this seems like quite a deal that is ~$300 off (that lens alone sells for ~$700). I get to wondering if this is a special price that is just seasonal like until Black Friday or something - it's making me nervous about making a decision soon.

And seeing that Panasonic is still supporting the GH2 with a firmware update is also helping push me in that direction. Especially interesting is the improvement of high ISO noise reduction (even though I mainly shoot raw).

11-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I'd encourage you to hold both the GH2 and the G3. I do think the GH2 is probably more comfortable for the longer glass.

I was looking for a significantly smaller than dslr camera with good IQ. I really like the grip of the G3, but I plan to primarily shoot primes with it.

The m4/3 is somewhat immature yet as far as lenses go, but more are in the works. One of the nicest features of m4/3 is that you can use just about anyone's lenses via a converter.

P.S. Was definitely not looking to start a war either, just thought the link could probably help to put to bed some concerns about stepping down in sensor size with respect to what you may or may not give up in IQ.
11-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I think m4/3 is a good system, as long as you are aware of it's limitations and do proper research before investing in lenses. But then all systems are like that. If you know the limitations and are aware how to work around them, what's it's good for and not so good for (CDAF isn't great at tracking etc). Then it's a great little system. I own one and it serves it's purpose well, even tough Fuji x100 would suit me better, except the price that is.
11-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #37
Banned

Photos: Albums
I went for the E-PL2 for two reasons: highest ISO score on dxomark across MFT cameras and in-body image stabilization. It is also available for a bit under $500 now, so that is nice too.

So far, I can't say I see any IQ differences compared to the Pentax DSLRs.

I also like the E-PL2 size - if it was any smaller I wouldn't be able to hold it very well.

I was in a store today and they had a Nikon 1 J1, a NEX 3, and a GF2 (I think - I always confuse the GF2 and GH2). I was surprised that only the J1 had a mode wheel, but it had no ATM modes. The 14-42 zoom on the Panasonic looked huge compared to the Zuiko equivalent (maybe because it had OIS). It was interesting to see the style differences.

11-20-2011, 07:03 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Re: G3 vs. GH2...

Having used both I honestly can't see any difference in RAW high-ISO performance. I think most of the G3 benefit in this regard comes from the improved jpeg engine (GH2 jpegs are fairly average), so if you're a RAW shooter it's not something I would stress over - both are terrific sensors.

One thing though, the GH2 has an oversized sensor which means it can shoot variable aspect ratios (4:3, 3:2, 16:9) while maintaing the same diagonal field of view and with minimal loss of resolution - very handy for stills work.
11-20-2011, 07:09 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
The 14-42 zoom on the Panasonic looked huge compared to the Zuiko equivalent (maybe because it had OIS). It was interesting to see the style differences.
That's where the 14-42x comes in..

11-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's been quite a learning experience so far! I thought I would update on what I ended up doing.

I made a good trade/barter deal with a great forum member here who showed interest in my big Tammy SP300. Long story short is I will gain a Panny 100-300 lens.

Then while I was pretty much set on the GH2, while doing my shopping, I came across a G2 for $300 brand new at B&H. I struggled with this a bit, but ended up pulling the trigger on the G2. I thought this was a better option right now since this will be all new to me and not sure if I will like the M4/3 system. This way I keep the cost down for my trial. If I like what I can do with it, I will pass the G2 along to my wife (who now uses our K-x) and then move up to the GH2. I will be starting with just the one lens (100-300) and also getting a K-M4/3 adapter along with it so I can play with my Pentax glass on the G2. With the trade and the great price on the G2, I can comfortably try this system without having to sell any of my other Pentax gear - a win-win situation.

Again, thank you all for your input - it was invaluable in my research and coming to a final decision - I am quite excited to get the gear and try it out!
11-20-2011, 09:12 AM   #41
Veteran Member

$300 for the G2 sounds like a great deal. Congrats on the new kit!

As for the adapter you might want to check out this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/138223...nt-lenses.html

(The rainbowimaging guys I got my K-u43 adapter from are also on Amazon. They are US based which is why I got my adapter from them: slightly more expensive than Chinese offerings but then it got here in a week or so as opposed to (typical) 3-6 weeks from China.)

Last edited by jolepp; 11-20-2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: wrong URL
11-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #42
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
That's where the 14-42x comes in..
Is this a newer model? It's not what I've seen.

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I thought this was a better option right now since this will be all new to me and not sure if I will like the M4/3 system.
Maybe you won't like it because of this choice
11-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Is this a newer model? It's not what I've seen.
Yup. New.
11-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Jolepp - that is the adapter he is getting as part of the 100-300 trade with me
11-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe you won't like it because of this choice
Well, in my feeble mind I try to make educated decisions. Since I have no way of trying one of these cameras out let alone even hold one, I don't want to dive in with a $900 expenditure. For $300 I am willing to take that chance.

Yes, the GH2 is more advanced, but as far as I can tell with my research the G2 will offer me most of the same manual controls as well as the larger grip which I was after. As far as sensor and AF performance, yes the specs and reviews show that the GH2 is better. But for a difference of $600, I will take that chance for now. If I do in fact want to continue with the 4/3 system after trying it out, I can then move up to the better model.