Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2011, 02:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Aparently... something major is coming-up...

According to the internets, Fuji is about to announce a new mirrorless with a sensor that will be the envy of every manufacturer on the planet(including FF solutions).

And I quote:
QuoteQuote:
“Komori-san says that the sensor quality of Fujifilm X mirrorless will exceed that of current full-frame sensors, although its sensor size will likely be smaller than 24x36mm. The claim reminded me of something…I have a hazy memory of someone with knowledge of the industry telling me long ago that an official of Canon said that Fuji is the only company Canon is scared of—not Panasonic, not Sony, not Nikon—because of Fuji’s expertise with sensors. (I might not have that right, so please don’t quote me.)” - source: photorumors.com
And other related stories:

Rumors: Fuji LX10 will have an APS-C sensor, no hybrid viewfinder

-

Fuji LX10 will probably have a grip

-

More details on the Fuji LX10 mirrorless interchangeable lens camera

Happy rumor hunting

Last edited by JohnBee; 11-19-2011 at 05:02 AM.
11-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Where did I hear about a smaller sensor exceeding FF before? Right - when our K-5 was rumored about. As sensor technology advances, even the now one year old Sony APS-C sensor goes beyond older FF sensors in some measured properties.
Attached Images

11-19-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
Banned

I think the part about the lack of a hybrid viewfinder is wrong. I highly doubt fuji will not use what is arguably one of the biggest selling points of the X100 in its new camera. it my not be implemented the same way, but I doubt the camera will be absent of one. as for the sensor, if fuji says it will exceed FF, then I'm willing to believe it. Fuji is the one company canon is afraid of, and everyone knows Fuji makes some of the best sensors, period. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with, but god knows the thing will be quite expensive.
11-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fuji does make good cameras. I've had a couple of their better P&S cameras and I've liked them. The one thing about their cameras that always surprised me was that the cameras I had took far better pics than their megapixels seemingly warranted. My K-x is definitely a better camera than my S7000 was in terms of pics, but except for the lens changing capacity, being able to use long lenses, I didn't see all that much difference between my S7000 and my *ist at times. In fact I as much as I love the flexibility of my DSLR and SLR cameras, I rather miss the macro setting on my S7000. It was really great. I can do the same thing with my cameras now, but it's actually more work than macro with my Fuji was.

11-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
Banned

I've always said that pentax understood cameras better than anyone, and FujiFilm understood the medium better than anyone. oh if only Fuji had paired with Pentax instead of Nikon for their previous DSLRs, just think of how incredible such a camera would be! all in all, I agree that Fuji, even their lowly P&S cameras have pretty much always outclassed everyone else where it counts. IQ. I am extremely eager to see what this 'organic sensor' is capable of.
11-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never shot Fuji before my new x10, but I am very impressed by what Fuji has done in this small camera. The colors are superb, and the IQ amazig for such a small sensor.
I look forward to their new entry, and hope it meets the hype. Some do, some don't. The x10 exceeded my expectations...and so has the K5.

Regards!
11-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Personally I'm getting tired of all the irrational hype surrounding Fuji. I'm sure their new sensor will be very good, but I doubt it will be some kind of world-beater. The claim that they have some magical insight into sensor production over Nikon, Sony, and Panasonic also does not ring true to my ears.

11-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thethirdcoast Quote
Personally I'm getting tired of all the irrational hype surrounding Fuji. I'm sure their new sensor will be very good, but I doubt it will be some kind of world-beater. The claim that they have some magical insight into sensor production over Nikon, Sony, and Panasonic also does not ring true to my ears.

I don't think it is all hype....they have made some very large contributions to the camera world, as has Sony, Nikon, Canon, Pentax, and others.....we all benefit when innovations come along, no matter who introduces them. To me it is exciting and very interesting to see progress in motion, and coming faster all the time!

As for Fuji......hype or not, they have sold a boatload or several of X100s and the x10 looks to outsell it......that's not hype, that's money in the bank!

Regards!
11-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by thethirdcoast Quote
im not sure anyone said it will be a 'world beater' whatever that is. I wouldn't call it irrational. why in the world would you describe it that way? magical? boy you are really reaching huh? Fuji does indeed have a very long and prestigeous history in sensor tech. there is a reason the fuji branded Fmount digital SLRs are still coveted. the sensor. hype around this camera is expected to be big, due to the success of the x100. with what information we have about this new organic sensor tech, I think its fair to expect great performance. since sony was able to put earlier full frame sensors to shame with its sensor tech, ala the K5, who's to say that Fuji can't do even better?
11-22-2011, 03:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, Fuji has been fairly innovative and competent in not only sensor design, but cameras, optics and film. I was worried they might just fade away like company K, but it seems they had other plans.
11-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Fuji goes their own way, not trying to compete head to head, model for model with the big two. I had the X100 for a week and did not like the hybrid viewfinder although I do see why others might. The only reason I returned the camera was its owner wanted it back Not a camera I would likely buy but it is a great unit. Fuji has also brought out a couple of medium format film cameras in the last couple of years. The only thing they are doing wrong IMHO is the pricing of Acros in sheet size.
11-22-2011, 02:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

If I was betting I'd bet on Fuji making an amazing camera.
11-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
If I was betting I'd bet on Fuji making an amazing camera.
I've always been impressed with Fuji. I still have my 5 year old Fuji F20 (little brother to the F30). Outstanding P&S in low light (especially at the time).
11-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I've always been impressed with Fuji. I still have my 5 year old Fuji F20 (little brother to the F30). Outstanding P&S in low light (especially at the time).
Whether or not one liked the using the X100 (count me in the I like it camp), it's hard to argue with the image quality of the camera. I'm really torn on this one. I have a D700 and a K5. The D700 has proven to be about all I would wish for in a DSLR form. I don't use it as much as the X100 or GXR but when I want to use a DSLR it's the one I would reach for now. I could easily see myself selling the K5 + lenses to get the Fuji. I've always wanted a digital rangefinder but can't afford a Leica. I really love Pentax and have been a loyal user through multiple digital K iterations but I have to admit I just love using the X100. An interchangeable lens version of that camera with a 28 and 50 would be my ideal camera. I know that's not something that would be practical for Pentax to make so I'm feeling kind of sad about it in a way.
11-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Whether or not one liked the using the X100 (count me in the I like it camp), it's hard to argue with the image quality of the camera. I'm really torn on this one. I have a D700 and a K5. The D700 has proven to be about all I would wish for in a DSLR form. I don't use it as much as the X100 or GXR but when I want to use a DSLR it's the one I would reach for now. I could easily see myself selling the K5 + lenses to get the Fuji. I've always wanted a digital rangefinder but can't afford a Leica. I really love Pentax and have been a loyal user through multiple digital K iterations but I have to admit I just love using the X100. An interchangeable lens version of that camera with a 28 and 50 would be my ideal camera. I know that's not something that would be practical for Pentax to make so I'm feeling kind of sad about it in a way.
I'm in a similar situation. I just picked up a D700 last month, which so far I really like, so at the moment I have both the D700 and K-5. I was considering something like the X10 to have something smaller, although I'm not 100% sold on it yet (although to be honest, I haven't had much time to really look into it). I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what they put out next