Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Forum Member

Small Flash gun for Yashica G

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

hey eveyone,im looking for a small and cheap flash for my yashica G it will need to have a cord though due to it being a cold shoe. Any ideas? also i would prefer if it was made in the 1960s as it will match the camera

11-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Moved from "Pentax Flashes and Lighting Technique".
11-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can get a shoe adapter with the required cord, and any flash will work. I've had to go that way, as my one Vivitar that had the cord decided to die. Older flashes may be goners by now.

You know that with the Yash you have flash sync to 1/500, and a really easy way to balance flash and ambient is to set the camera aperture to 1 stop less than the flash indicates.
11-26-2011, 05:11 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
i was thinking about getting something like this? NATIONAL HYPER BULB FLASH GUN NEW & BOXED | eBay

Also how long do the flash bulbs last?

11-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hayob Quote
i was thinking about getting something like this? NATIONAL HYPER BULB FLASH GUN NEW & BOXED | eBay

I am with Jussi (Nesster). A corded electronic flash or shoe adapter with hot shoe flash is much preferable to flash bulbs. I was never happier than the day when I was able to ditch my bulb flash. Vintage electronic flashes exist, but are not likely to be working very well. On the other hand, many flashes dating from the late 1970s on still work well. I would try and find a corded "auto-thyristor" model from Vivitar or similar. I have been shooting with my Vivitar 2600 since 1982 and it still works great though not on my K10D...too high a trigger voltage!

Steve
11-28-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hayob Quote
One per shot, unfortunately. And as far as I know flash bulbs aren't made any longer.

I had a really nice tiny Yashica flash cube flash that I used for years in the '70s - I laminated a small cheat sheet for the aperture settings to the back of it, using nail polish. Still have it somewhere... but no flash cubes.

If you want an electronic flash, look for something like these, they come with the cord attached:

Toshiba ES-24 electronic flash unit with hot-foot and cable connections | eBay

Starblitz 3200 BT-TWIN-S flash unit with hot-foot and lead connection | eBay

ROLLEI FLASH | eBay

Note that battery technology has become better - that last Rollei looks to have a vintage rechargeable battery, which by now likely won't hold much charge. Better to get one that takes AA batteries.
12-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The only advantage to flash bulbs is their power. A 5 or 25 has a long reach as I found shooting sports in high school in the late 50s. But, the supply is really limited. So unless the retro look trumps practicality, go with electronic flash.