Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 750 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #2941
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Why not? The standard K-5 has a 1.5 crop factor sensor same as the XP1/XE1 and those Fuji's don't have an AA filter. What is so magical about the K-5?
While I have the K5, there is an updated K5 II and K5IIs that have the optical low pass filter removed. I have not used the updated versions but they are available.

I have been a Pentax shooter for the past 8 years or so, first with the K10d which was a great camera, and now the K5. I shoot with Nikon gear at work, so I am experience with the D7000 and the pricey FF glass. Of course the Pentax system cannot compete with the full frame DSLRs, but in the APS sensor realm they are very under-rated. Considering the features, the K5 does stand out with weather proofing, low temperature performance and in body stabilization which does really come in handy. The camera lay out (buttons/menus) are often an after thought, but the k5 is an easy camera to shoot with. Compared to the D7000 which I find the buttons misplaced and the menus clunky. The shutter is really very quiet compared to other DSLRs...not as quiet as the Fujis.....but they can't really expect to be. In terms of size, they are much more compact than competitors while still providing a great grip. Coupled with any of the DA primes, it is nearly as small as the XP1. Image performance is also under-rated. The K5 takes very nice images with a wide dynamic range and the performance at high ISO is impressive. The noise reduction algorithms do their job very well with out over doing it.

The glass Pentax offer is top notch in terms of quality and value. The DA primes....also under-rated. Offering a focal lengths of 15, 21, 35, 40, and 70 these lenses are well constructed, sharp, uber compact, render color very well and are just a lot of fun to shoot with. The DA* lenses range from 16mm - 300mm, same thing...... top quality with a bit more value than Canikons.

I may be a bit biased, but sticking with the theme I do think that Pentax gear/glass is under-rated by consumers and by the photography media. For those of us that want a high quality DSLR without having to drop a crazy amount of $$$$ on FF glass, the Pentax system is great. I do look forward to new bodies in the future, but the K5 has served me well.

Plus when you shoot Pentax you get to be a part of this great forum. I love sharing my Pentax specific shots in various threads.....the DA Limited lenses.....DA* lenses......lens sample galleries....and of course the popular 15mm controls my mind thread.

Of course, to each his own.....I don't shoot with only Pentax and I LOVE my Fuji X100, but I will give the K5 some love

04-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #2942
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abieleck Quote
I have been a Pentax shooter for the past 8 years or so, first with the K10d which was a great camera, and now the K5.
Yes, I have been shooting Pentax gear for 30 years. But when I wanted a performing DSLR, I didn't look at Pentax. The K-7 I had left a sour taste in my mouth. I own a lot of different camera brands and it seems when you do, camera brand loyalty gets lost. It's what the camera does for me regardless of brand.
04-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #2943
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
With the K5 we are very often looking at shots with low grade lenses, but when you view shots with the Ltd lenses and a qualified shooter, as you guys are, I'd wager that the K5 will match the X cameras for all practical purposes? IQ is important, no doubt, and most all the top cameras can produce it nowadays, regardless of brand. Fuji colors........I don't see those anywhere but with a Fuji.
Rupert, just to clarify my earlier comment, this is what I was trying to get at. I think we get to hung up on lists of features, as opposed to how well the system works for the individual. So yeah, IQ between top brands with comparable glass is really a wash except for at the edges of the performance envelope. The main difference is what features and functions matter to you, and how well camera X implements those.
04-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #2944
Veteran Member

Yes, I have been shooting Pentax gear for 30 years. But when I wanted a performing DSLR, I didn't look at Pentax. The K-7 I had left a sour taste in my mouth. I own a lot of different camera brands and it seems when you do, camera brand loyalty gets lost. It's what the camera does for me regardless of brand.
I've never used the K7, but from what I've read/seen the jump was pretty significant to the K5

I would say that I have camera brand loyalty to a point.....I agree that in the end it's results that matter, but I don't see myself jumping around from brand to brand unless there is difference in format.....like with DSLR/mirrorless/MF Film. I like shooting Pentax and Fuji, they are both smaller market systems that you don't see out on the streets/trails a lot....but if they weren't up to the job they would be in my bag. Pentaxians are proud of their brand....maybe because we often have to justify quality to a Canikon shooter....or have heard "Pentax....I didn't know they still made cameras?" one too many times For one reason or another it is a point of pride, with a feeling of almost a small community.....maybe it's just me, but every time I run into a Pentax shooter there is a conversation to be had or at least subtle head nod.

I bought my first Pentax DSLR because it had features that it's competitors at the time did not.....metal body, weather sealing and in body stabilization.....plus it was less expensive. I would like to see Pentax/Ricoh continue to grow and put out new products including a FF camera sometime in the future, but for my needs now I am more than happy.

Sorry to everyone in the FUJI thread for hijacking it with Pentax talk.....

Back on topic with a recent photo from my X100....

04-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #2945
Veteran Member

One of my problems right now is being kind of spoiled with the images from my x100. I'm not sure if the x100 has an AA filter or not, but if it does it must be a very weak one. This has made me question the images I am getting with my K-5 even with high end glass (FA* & DA*). I am a stickler for a super sharp image and the x100 has been giving me that. But now it seems the images from my K-5 are just a bit lacking in that super sharpness. Maybe it is all in my mind, but this has me evaluating my position as far as gear is concerned.

As I've said above, the Fuji X-series can't replace my long lenses. But up to the 200mm mark, Fuji can now take care of that. I can't afford to have 2 full systems, so that brings me to my present conundrum.

The answer? I have a K-5IIs on the way to try. I am quietly hoping that this will bring me those images I want similar to the Fuji. If it does - great! If not, the IIs will have to go back and then I will really have to look hard at what to do next.
04-30-2013, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #2946
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've never used the K7, but from what I've read/seen the jump was pretty significant to the K5
Yes, big improvement with the sensor. But focus speed and low light focus didn't seem much of an improvement over the K-7 on the one I tried. And then there is accessories and all that extra stuff you get with the more popular camera brands. The pro zooms I have for the Nikon are ugly to carry around but deliver the goods. And I really like the Zeiss 21mm I got for it too. And now Zeiss has stopped making a lot of their lenses for Pentax K-mount. But that's why I have a mirrorless for those other times. What Pentax should do is knock one out of the park with a FF mirrorless.
04-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #2947
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I have a K-5IIs on the way to try. I am quietly hoping that this will bring me those images I want similar to the Fuji. If it does - great! If not, the IIs will have to go back and then I will really have to look hard at what to do next.
Either way, I hope you find a system/gear that works for you.

Yes, big improvement with the sensor. But focus speed and low light focus didn't seem much of an improvement over the K-7 on the one I tried. And then there is accessories and all that extra stuff you get with the more popular camera brands. The pro zooms I have for the Nikon are ugly to carry around but deliver the goods. And I really like the Zeiss 21mm I got for it too. And now Zeiss has stopped making a lot of their lenses for Pentax K-mount. But that's why I have a mirrorless for those other times. What Pentax should do is knock one out of the park with a FF mirrorless.
Pentax AF isn't going to match up against the big boys....but neither does my X100. I wouldn't mind if either were faster, not sure I miss it that much....but I also don't shoot a lot of sports/wildlife. There have been a few accessories that weren't offered for pentax, but again Im sure I can live without them. We have Nikon pro zooms here at work ranging from 14mm - 200mm. They are very nice lenses, but there is no way I would spend that kind of $$$$ on glass unless I owned gear for dedicated business use. Plus the FF zooms are massive and quite heavy, definitely not for my style/needs. It's nearing the end of the fiscal year and I just put in a request for a Fuji system....really hope we get it.....much lighter and low profile. Half the time Im out on campus shooting I am using my X100 anyway At some point I will own a interchangeable lens Fuji whether it is the XE-1/XP1 or future product.....at that point I may have to decide which system I can live without.

The Zeiss 21mm you have is an absolutely beautiful lens, that Im sure takes stunning photographs. It is a bit out of my range as it most Zeiss glass, so I don't miss the Zeiss K mount as much as some. I do look forward to your images with the 21mm on your FF, that will be a lethal combo....don't cut yourself

People on the forum here clamor for a FF DSLR....I would be interested to see how many would actually take the jump and purchase a new FF body and set of lenses. I agree, if Pentax came out with a FF mirrorless that would be a game changer....as long as they didn't give the design contract to Marc Newson

04-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #2948
Veteran Member

People on the forum here clamor for a FF DSLR....I would be interested to see how many would actually take the jump and purchase a new FF body and set of lenses. I agree, if Pentax came out with a FF mirrorless that would be a game changer....as long as they didn't give the design contract to Marc Newson
I've said on other threads here about a possible Pentax FF - out of all those who b%$#@ and complain about it, I would venture a guess that 25% of those would actually buy one. And I agree - a FF mirrorless would really be something. I honestly believe that mirrorless is the future for hobbyist/serious enthusiast cameras.

Myself, I find 16mp on APS-C a sweet spot. Since I primairly shoot longer lenses, the 1.5x crop factor is great. Taking away the AA filter would give me plenty of the sharpness I want.
04-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #2949
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The Zeiss 21mm you have is an absolutely beautiful lens, that Im sure takes stunning photographs. It is a bit out of my range as it most Zeiss glass, so I don't miss the Zeiss K mount as much as some. I do look forward to your images with the 21mm on your FF, that will be a lethal combo....don't cut yourself
Here are some examples taken pretty recently with that 21mm. You've seen the one of my ME Super with the SMC A 50/1.2 already in the camera gear p0rn thread.

04-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #2950
Veteran Member

Back on topic with a recent photo from my X100....
Aaron, I really like the colors you get in your pics, especially the green tones of the grass and trees, are these OOC JPEG or is there some PP involved ?

Thanks.
04-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #2951
Veteran Member

Here are some examples taken pretty recently with that 21mm. You've seen the one of my ME Super with the SMC A 50/1.2 already in the camera gear p0rn thread.
Oh my Tuco - simply fabulous! If they look that good on my monitor, I can't image what they would look like in print!
04-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #2952
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Tuco---Superb, what more could you ask of any camera or shooter? Gorgeous.

I didn't intend to start a camera debate here, but I think most of us love cameras and shooting...more than brands and fan boys. I just have a little X20, but I am thrilled! Love it!
Mrs Rupert wanted a case for her "new" X10 but not like my genuine Fuji black one. This came in today, she is well pleased!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Now it's my turn to get something...and I may just want this little Audi TT a friend has for sale. The only problem is my long legs...my right knee hits the key in the ignition and is not at all comfortable. Not sure I can handle that or fix it? This may be made for shorter people?
[IMG] [/IMG]

Roller Derby on Sat night....I'm getting excited!
Regards!
04-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #2953
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Oh my Tuco - simply fabulous! If they look that good on my monitor, I can't image what they would look like in print!
Thanks, Stan.

There are some strong advantages to a 1.5 crop with no AA filter. Like you said, better telephoto. And you can get by without spending as much on lenses too. Most decent FF glass does really good on a 1.5 crop whereas it would show some weakness if it had any on a FF.

A friend wanted to upgrade his old D300. He was on a budget and he wanted a FF. I suggested he look at the new D7100 which has no AA filter. He eventually got it and the files look really good. He didn't have to spend more money on glass as he would have with a FF. What he has works great. And really, it is splitting hairs to tell the difference from my FF files. He also wants a mirrorless real bad but he's waiting for that segment to mature more. Obviously he spends his money more wisely than me.
04-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #2954
Veteran Member

Tuco - I think I am getting closer to a solution for myself. I did take a hard look at the D7100 - great specs plus one of our members here who I converse with recently bought one. But the cost and pain of a total system switch would be too much for me going that route. Way too many lenses available would bring me to an endless LBA.

With going to an X-E1, not so bad as I would probably just get the 2 zoom lenses and call it good, but would still have to go through the selling process of my current gear.

So with my wife's help, the decision was made to try the K-5IIs. I really hope it gives me what I am looking for. I know it isn't really proper to compare that with the Fuji images, but as long as I can get close. If the Pentax camera works out, all I will need to do is sell one camera.

In the meantime I am also looking at the M4/3 system - it's been a couple years since I had a Lumix GH2 so I want to see how far they have come. I think though in the end that I won't be satisfied with anything less than an APS-C filter-less sensor.

Rupert - that TT is an amazing machine. But if you don't fit, you don't fit - can't change that!
04-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #2955
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
.....Now it's my turn to get something...and I may just want this little Audi TT a friend has for sale. The only problem is my long legs...my right knee hits the key in the ignition and is not at all comfortable. Not sure I can handle that or fix it? This may be made for shorter people? ...
Solution: remove the driver seat and sit on the rear seat?