Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2016, 10:21 AM   #4921
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,455
I've been playing around with trying to get my X100 images to look less digital. Nowadays whenever I am processing a digital RAW file, part me wishes it were a film scan. I don't really want my X100 images to look like film, just less digital.

Here's one that I'm pretty happy with,


Fuji X100
RAF Processed in Adobe Lightroom
and jpeg adjusted in Photoshop


04-30-2016, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #4922
Pentaxian
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,424
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I've been playing around with trying to get my X100 images to look less digital. Nowadays whenever I am processing a digital RAW file, part me wishes it were a film scan. I don't really want my X100 images to look like film, just less digital.

Here's one that I'm pretty happy with,
I like it! I've also been trying to make my X10 shots look "less digital" as well. They are just a bit too clean & sterile for me. I haven't played with the RAWs yet, only jpegs, warming up the white balance a bit, and slightly softening the image. I'm running Linux, using digiKam and GIMP. Can you share any general, non Lightroom-specific tips?
04-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #4923
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,455
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I like it! I've also been trying to make my X10 shots look "less digital" as well. They are just a bit too clean & sterile for me. I haven't played with the RAWs yet, only jpegs, warming up the white balance a bit, and slightly softening the image. I'm running Linux, using digiKam and GIMP. Can you share any general, non Lightroom-specific tips?
For that image, I added vignetting, then desaturated slightly, and lastly I adjusted the overall hue slightly towards cyan.
04-30-2016, 10:57 AM   #4924
Pentaxian
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,424
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
For that image, I added vignetting, then desaturated slightly, and lastly I adjusted the overall hue slightly towards cyan.
Thanks Colton. I'll give those suggestions a try next time!

04-30-2016, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #4925
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,455
Here are two versions from the same RAF file.
The upper one was processed in Lightroom using the camera Fuji Provia preset, and nothing else was done. It should look basically like an in camera jpeg would.
The lower one is the same RAF file processed manually in Lightroom, and then post processed in Photoshop.




04-30-2016, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #4926
Pentaxian
Clarkey's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brampton, ON, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,952
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Here are two versions from the same RAF file.
The upper one was processed in Lightroom using the camera Fuji Provia preset, and nothing else was done. It should look basically like an in camera jpeg would.
The lower one is the same RAF file processed manually in Lightroom, and then post processed in Photoshop.




It's that accursed smoothness that Fuji does!
Do take a look at Silkypix raw file converter. The colours and sharpening are very different, and IMO, quite compelling and organic. Flickr is giving me drama, at the minute, but I will update with a couple of examples, when I can.

This Link was worth a read.
05-01-2016, 10:30 AM   #4927
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,455
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
It's that accursed smoothness that Fuji does!
Do take a look at Silkypix raw file converter. The colours and sharpening are very different, and IMO, quite compelling and organic. Flickr is giving me drama, at the minute, but I will update with a couple of examples, when I can.

This Link was worth a read.
Thanks for the link.
I think that article applies more to the Fuji XTRANS sensor. The X100 has a more typical Bayer pattern sensor.
I actually prefer ACDSee Pro for RAW processing. I was using Lightroom so I could familiarize myself more with it as I was helping show a friend some things about RAW processing.
05-01-2016, 12:49 PM   #4928
Pentaxian
Clarkey's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brampton, ON, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,952
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Thanks for the link.
I think that article applies more to the Fuji XTRANS sensor. The X100 has a more typical Bayer pattern sensor.
I actually prefer ACDSee Pro for RAW processing. I was using Lightroom so I could familiarize myself more with it as I was helping show a friend some things about RAW processing.
You are welcome. No drama, at all.
True, it does. RFC (Silkypix) can also process raws from any Fuji camera. I agree ACDSee Pro is no slouch, and I also have issues with LR colours (specifically with colours, not sharpening).

Example from X-A1 and kit lens (from a Fuji walk - great day). Colour profile quite different:

Untitled
by Aaron, on Flickr

05-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #4929
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,455
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
You are welcome. No drama, at all.
True, it does. RFC (Silkypix) can also process raws from any Fuji camera. I agree ACDSee Pro is no slouch, and I also have issues with LR colours (specifically with colours, not sharpening).
I played around with Silkypix years ago but never really used it seriously.

Here's one that started out as RAF, then developed in ACDSee Pro 6, and then I played around with ColorEfex Pro and added a Fuji Superia 400 preset, then slightly desaturated and adjusted hue in Photoshop.

11-06-2016, 06:50 AM   #4930
Veteran Member
skankin_giant's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Deepest Darkest Cornwall
Posts: 513
I was allowed to do some photos at a local Battle of Briton parade, only a couple I really liked.





I was using my X-Pro 1 and 55-200 due to poor access.

As it was bonfire night here in the UK yesterday I thought it would be good to get some photos in bulb mode with the wife and kids using sparklers, quite happy with how they turned out. X-Pro 1 and 18mm lens





My wife tried to write Love..... didn't work...







Thought they were quite a fun effect.

Cheers, Steve
12-27-2016, 01:53 PM - 2 Likes   #4931
Pentaxian
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,875
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Here are two versions from the same RAF file.
The upper one was processed in Lightroom using the camera Fuji Provia preset, and nothing else was done. It should look basically like an in camera jpeg would.
The lower one is the same RAF file processed manually in Lightroom, and then post processed in Photoshop.




I see what you were after, but speaking as one who shot reams of velvia back in the day the in camera velvia setting is pretty close to what you got on film. it was never designed as a normal looking film but always as a punchy green and blue film (whereas Kodak leaned to the reds)
, I rarely leave a file fully alone now I do tend to shoot using the Classic Chrome setting on my XT1 and XE2, on the Xpro1 i shoot usually in astia or provia mode , it is kind of moot though because i will spend a lot of time extracting what i want from he image

while this looks amped up, it isn't that far off what barcelona can look like - it would have started as classic chrome, but i would have gone through a series of settings that define most of my shots and then fine tuned it to get what i wanted.



What i do find Fuji does particularly well is Black and White

this saw very little processing at all

12-27-2016, 02:15 PM - 2 Likes   #4932
Pentaxian
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,424
Nice work Eddie - love the processing on that first one. I, too like the way the Fuji lends itself well to monochrome. (Fuji X10)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
apple, bit, cabin, camera, cheers, couple, course, david, flickr, forum, fuji, generator, hood, house, k5, love, photo, photos, pictures, results, six, skin, steve, story, thanks, tone, week, weeks, whiskey, wilderness
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new Fuji x10 Rupert Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 47 01-03-2012 06:56 PM
Fujifilm X10 - my first impressions... Duh_Vinci Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 43 12-28-2011 09:41 PM
Fujifilm X10 - quick play Turtle Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 1 11-23-2011 08:15 AM
best x10+ zoom available 4 Pentax in 2011 is.. 006 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 04-19-2011 02:31 PM
Who can post pictures in the post your pictures category? Sitting Bull Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 12-14-2010 05:41 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:10 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top