Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 750 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2016, 10:21 AM   #4921
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been playing around with trying to get my X100 images to look less digital. Nowadays whenever I am processing a digital RAW file, part me wishes it were a film scan. I don't really want my X100 images to look like film, just less digital.

Here's one that I'm pretty happy with,

Fuji X100
RAF Processed in Adobe Lightroom
and jpeg adjusted in Photoshop

04-30-2016, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #4922
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I've been playing around with trying to get my X100 images to look less digital. Nowadays whenever I am processing a digital RAW file, part me wishes it were a film scan. I don't really want my X100 images to look like film, just less digital.

Here's one that I'm pretty happy with,
I like it! I've also been trying to make my X10 shots look "less digital" as well. They are just a bit too clean & sterile for me. I haven't played with the RAWs yet, only jpegs, warming up the white balance a bit, and slightly softening the image. I'm running Linux, using digiKam and GIMP. Can you share any general, non Lightroom-specific tips?
04-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #4923
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I like it! I've also been trying to make my X10 shots look "less digital" as well. They are just a bit too clean & sterile for me. I haven't played with the RAWs yet, only jpegs, warming up the white balance a bit, and slightly softening the image. I'm running Linux, using digiKam and GIMP. Can you share any general, non Lightroom-specific tips?
For that image, I added vignetting, then desaturated slightly, and lastly I adjusted the overall hue slightly towards cyan.
04-30-2016, 10:57 AM   #4924
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For that image, I added vignetting, then desaturated slightly, and lastly I adjusted the overall hue slightly towards cyan.
Thanks Colton. I'll give those suggestions a try next time!

04-30-2016, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #4925
Veteran Member

Here are two versions from the same RAF file.
The upper one was processed in Lightroom using the camera Fuji Provia preset, and nothing else was done. It should look basically like an in camera jpeg would.
The lower one is the same RAF file processed manually in Lightroom, and then post processed in Photoshop.

04-30-2016, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #4926
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The upper one was processed in Lightroom using the camera Fuji Provia preset, and nothing else was done. It should look basically like an in camera jpeg would.
The lower one is the same RAF file processed manually in Lightroom, and then post processed in Photoshop.

It's that accursed smoothness that Fuji does!
Do take a look at Silkypix raw file converter. The colours and sharpening are very different, and IMO, quite compelling and organic. Flickr is giving me drama, at the minute, but I will update with a couple of examples, when I can.

This Link was worth a read.
05-01-2016, 10:30 AM   #4927
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
It's that accursed smoothness that Fuji does!
Do take a look at Silkypix raw file converter. The colours and sharpening are very different, and IMO, quite compelling and organic. Flickr is giving me drama, at the minute, but I will update with a couple of examples, when I can.

This Link was worth a read.
Thanks for the link.
I think that article applies more to the Fuji XTRANS sensor. The X100 has a more typical Bayer pattern sensor.
I actually prefer ACDSee Pro for RAW processing. I was using Lightroom so I could familiarize myself more with it as I was helping show a friend some things about RAW processing.

05-01-2016, 12:49 PM   #4928
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the link.
I think that article applies more to the Fuji XTRANS sensor. The X100 has a more typical Bayer pattern sensor.
I actually prefer ACDSee Pro for RAW processing. I was using Lightroom so I could familiarize myself more with it as I was helping show a friend some things about RAW processing.
You are welcome. No drama, at all.
True, it does. RFC (Silkypix) can also process raws from any Fuji camera. I agree ACDSee Pro is no slouch, and I also have issues with LR colours (specifically with colours, not sharpening).

Example from X-A1 and kit lens (from a Fuji walk - great day). Colour profile quite different:

Untitled
by Aaron, on Flickr
05-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #4929
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
You are welcome. No drama, at all.
True, it does. RFC (Silkypix) can also process raws from any Fuji camera. I agree ACDSee Pro is no slouch, and I also have issues with LR colours (specifically with colours, not sharpening).
I played around with Silkypix years ago but never really used it seriously.

Here's one that started out as RAF, then developed in ACDSee Pro 6, and then I played around with ColorEfex Pro and added a Fuji Superia 400 preset, then slightly desaturated and adjusted hue in Photoshop.

11-06-2016, 06:50 AM   #4930
Veteran Member

I was allowed to do some photos at a local Battle of Briton parade, only a couple I really liked.

I was using my X-Pro 1 and 55-200 due to poor access.

As it was bonfire night here in the UK yesterday I thought it would be good to get some photos in bulb mode with the wife and kids using sparklers, quite happy with how they turned out. X-Pro 1 and 18mm lens

My wife tried to write Love..... didn't work...

Thought they were quite a fun effect.

Cheers, Steve
12-27-2016, 01:53 PM - 2 Likes   #4931
Veteran Member

I see what you were after, but speaking as one who shot reams of velvia back in the day the in camera velvia setting is pretty close to what you got on film. it was never designed as a normal looking film but always as a punchy green and blue film (whereas Kodak leaned to the reds)
, I rarely leave a file fully alone now I do tend to shoot using the Classic Chrome setting on my XT1 and XE2, on the Xpro1 i shoot usually in astia or provia mode , it is kind of moot though because i will spend a lot of time extracting what i want from he image

while this looks amped up, it isn't that far off what barcelona can look like - it would have started as classic chrome, but i would have gone through a series of settings that define most of my shots and then fine tuned it to get what i wanted.

What i do find Fuji does particularly well is Black and White

this saw very little processing at all

12-27-2016, 02:15 PM - 2 Likes   #4932
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice work Eddie - love the processing on that first one. I, too like the way the Fuji lends itself well to monochrome. (Fuji X10)