Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 750 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #826
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pbancr Quote
@ecaterin -you're getting some great shots with that X100 - so glad it found a good home!
Thanks indeed, Pam! It's the perfect combo of size & high quality - goes with me everywhere, which is exactly what I wanted And how about your, er, goodie?

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
My little X10 gets no respect...but it gets a ton of use!
[/url] [/IMG]

Regards!
Oh Rupert - most excellent snail pic! The surface is so perfect as Mr. Snail's background. X10 gets kudos!

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
It's a little larger. And for my taste that is a welcome. Even with it's larger size, I still have issues of inadvertently pressing buttons where the thumb goes while handling the camera. I'm seriously thinking of getting this CSEP-2 thumbs up grip.
I have a Thumbs Up on my X100 (Pam, you really outfitted this thing ) - really really helpful. I have small hands, so hitting buttons isn't as much of an issue for me, but it's a much more secure grip on the camera, whether landscape or portrait orientation.

More Seattle art! The Light Rail stations were all built with integrated commissioned art work and are really very nice. I'm not sure why this fellow has a soccer ball tho.....

05-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #827
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice shot, Rupert. I'll contrast that with these old-school Peter Halber signature series Kastinger mountaineering boots. No high-tech polymers here. They have taken me up many mountains in my younger days.

Old-School Gear

XP1

05-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #828
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Plenty of life left in those Tuco. I like a nice wide boot with room for your toes, even with heavy socks, and those fit the bill.
My new boots are identical to my old ones...I broke my right ankle in seven places in 1992 and can only wear certain footwear or I have great difficulty. When I find something that works I try to stick with it.

New boots, new jeans....couldn't be more miserable!
Attachment 127863
Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 03-25-2015 at 10:46 AM.
05-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #829
Veteran Member

Wedding at 6pm...shooting starts at 3pm. Mrs Rupert, who knows nothing of cameras, I mean nothing! is practicing with my Toy Camera the X10. I let her have it for the day as I use my K5. Should be interesting......just park it in P and shoot away Mrs Rupert! She may do better than me!

Attachment 128033

Won't be able to place any blame on the subjects.....

Bride on the right....Bridesmaid on the left
[IMG] [/IMG]

Wish me luck, I'll need plenty of it!

Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 03-25-2015 at 10:46 AM.
05-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #830
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
X100.

05-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #831
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Hard Day Of Selling Flowers On Mother's Day

XP1, 35mm

Just Some Things

XP1, 18mm

05-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #832
Veteran Member

Mrs Rupert did pretty well today with the X10 Toy Camera! I was pretty surprised, and pleased. She got a ton of shots and most were fully useable.

Name:  DSCF4937-800.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  70.6 KB

Regards!

BTW- Love that "Old Building" shot......and who wouldn't love a Budweiser shot like that!

05-14-2012, 04:44 AM   #833
Veteran Member

Mrs Rupert did pretty well today with the X10 Toy Camera! I was pretty surprised, and pleased. She got a ton of shots and most were fully useable.

Attachment 128130

Regards!

BTW- Love that "Old Building" shot......and who wouldn't love a Budweiser shot like that!

Mrs Rupert did pretty well today with the X10 Toy Camera!

Rupert; maybe it IS the camera
05-14-2012, 06:18 AM   #834
Veteran Member

GD.....You are so right in a part of the equation. Last year Mrs Rupert went to a bridal shower and used her Panny TZ1. She came home and viewed her results with tears streaming. They were horrible. I bought the X10 for her, knowing I would use it 99% of the time, and yesterday was the first time she has used it. Her expectations were low, and I just parked it in P and set the ISO to auto 1600, telling her to focus and shoot. She was quite amazed at the results.

One note of interest...as we were leaving late last night, this group wanted a shot together. It was pitch dark, and my K5 refused to focus...just wouldn't do it and wouldn't fire unless I switched to manual...which was too blurry to use. Her little X10 used its strobe right away, fired the flash, and got the shot. Nothing fantastic...but beat the heck out of the blur I got with the K5. Yes...the camera can make all the difference!
Attachment 128150

Best Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 05-30-2015 at 12:05 PM.
05-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #835
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Are these Mrs Rupert's pictures you're posting?
05-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #836
Veteran Member

Yes, in this thread they are ones Mrs Rupert shot. It was her first time to use the camera, except for an hour or so on Saturday around the house. She did pretty good, and all things considered, I was very glad to have her around! She got a few I might have missed.

[IMG] [/IMG]
05-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #837
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, in this thread they are ones Mrs Rupert shot.
She gets right in there on the human side of things in her pictures. Are you going to have to get her a X10 or equivalent now?
05-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #838
Veteran Member

Nice - Missus Rupert and the x10 were a good team

Tuco - I love the shot of the exhausted flower fellow, marvelous composition and moment!

We've experienced the sudden emergence of spring here in the PNW....and that means people are driving like maniacs and getting heat stroke because the temperature has climbed over 75 degrees They're warning people on the radio that, though the air temp is lovely and the sun is shining, the temperature of *the lake* is still winter cold and you'll die of hypothermia just as fast as if it were February.

Soooo, I'm not kayaking yet. Instead, I'm taking pics of the water :P This is Bellevue seen across Lake Washington, Cascade Mountains in the background. I wish there had been a few interesting clouds to spruce up the photo!

05-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #839
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ecaterin Quote
Tuco - I love the shot of the exhausted flower fellow, marvelous composition and moment!
This is Bellevue seen across Lake Washington, Cascade Mountains in the background. I wish there had been a few interesting clouds to spruce up the photo!
Thanks. Are you using a "red filter" in your monochrome conversions?
05-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #840
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Thanks. Are you using a "red filter" in your monochrome conversions?
Yes, frequently. It depends on whether I'm in the mood for really extreme blacks in the pic I really had to do backflips with this pic to get the mountains to show up much at all (it was pretty hazy yesterday - did you see Rainier in the afternoon? It was behind a veil of haze, really cool.) Red filter really helped with that - along with about 6 other carefully applied strategies that I work on in the color version before I even got to the monochrome conversion :P By the time I put the photo in Silver Efex, about all I did was red filter it & put a touch of structure on the mountains & the water.