Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2012, 01:47 AM   #346
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rupert, that isn't only grown men racing tiny toy cars. It is also retired race car drivers racing tiny painstakingly handcrafted renditions of the cars they used to race in their younger days. One of them is this guy, for instance.

Fujifilm X10

The lighting was a nightmare as far as white balance went in that place. There was a good amount of natural light through the windows and some large skylights in the ceiling. Then there were some sort of industrial strength indoor lights in the ceiling....probably sodium or some such thing. All I know is it was way different from natural light. I probably could have dealt with that alright, just the two, but then the television crew came in and set up their monster lights in several places, with gels over them for their convenience. Consequently most of the photos have the people with perfectly fine skin tones over part of them and with splotches of yellow/green, as you can see on this shot. The ones I've posted in black-and-white so far got that way because there was just no other way of dealing with the ghoulish splotching of green on their faces.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 02-26-2012 at 01:54 AM.
02-26-2012, 05:05 AM   #347
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I think the B&W is perfect for the intensity and the form with the tracks, it makes a kind of abstraction and focus that seems very appropriate. I really like those last two as well. Amazing story. I never heard of anything like this--real race drivers doing this as competition. Also I really like the quality of the photographs from the X10--obviously you have to know how to use it and find a shot...
02-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #348
Veteran Member

Great shots Mike. Are you shooting RAW or JPEG?

Rupert- Me and the three dogs are waiting for our invitation to dinner................... Soon, hopefully, we're hungry.
02-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #349
Veteran Member

Thanks MAC...now I have another reason to be antsy for March 20th or so to get here. Those are great. Honestly if the JPEG's look that good, I'll probably be shooting that too. Less time in front of the computer is always a good thing!!

02-26-2012, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #350
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mike, I hear you! I've been in those conditions before with my K5 and it is just impossible to avoid a color nightmare, in particular on skin. You just do what you can...if anything.

In half decent light the X10 will give superb skin tones...I shot this in mixed light at the store where I eat lunch every day, and printed and framed it 8x10 for the owners......the skin tones were right on the money and they were very pleased.
[IMG] [/IMG]

To be honest, I never expected results out of this small camera that equal what I get when I make a serious effort. It is quite amazing. Mostly I just park it on EXR and snap away, it's so easy to do that, and it usually beats my skill level.

Best Regards!
02-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #351
Veteran Member

For those of you on the fence about the X Pro, see this review.

Google Translate

This is one of the review headings:

■ A new model of camera expected to make love groan

I'd like to see Canon or Nikon do that!!!!!
02-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #352
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Mike, I hear you! I've been in those conditions before with my K5 and it is just impossible to avoid a color nightmare, in particular on skin. You just do what you can...if anything.

In half decent light the X10 will give superb skin tones...I shot this in mixed light at the store where I eat lunch every day, and printed and framed it 8x10 for the owners......the skin tones were right on the money and they were very pleased.
[/url] [/IMG]

To be honest, I never expected results out of this small camera that equal what I get when I make a serious effort. It is quite amazing. Mostly I just park it on EXR and snap away, it's so easy to do that, and it usually beats my skill level.

Best Regards!
Thanks for the tip on the EXR. Great photo!!!

02-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #353
Veteran Member

Thanks Stanley......I was at the counter paying my bill when I looked over and saw the owner and his wife next to each other and said..."get closer and act like you like each other". They did and I snapped, pretty damn simple! I manipulated the background, the X10 is not a "bokeh machine!", and printed...put it in a nice frame and gave it to them. Just the fun sort of thing the X10 excels at!

I look forward to your arrival of the X-Pro......as I explained, I am a zoom shooter almost 100%, and will wait until the first zoom arrives....unless you get yours and convince me I can't wait that long?
Regards!
02-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #354
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Thanks Stanley......I was at the counter paying my bill when I looked over and saw the owner and his wife next to each other and said..."get closer and act like you like each other". They did and I snapped, pretty damn simple! I manipulated the background, the X10 is not a "bokeh machine!", and printed...put it in a nice frame and gave it to them. Just the fun sort of thing the X10 excels at!

I look forward to your arrival of the X-Pro......as I explained, I am a zoom shooter almost 100%, and will wait until the first zoom arrives....unless you get yours and convince me I can't wait that long?
Regards!
I can't remember what part of Texas you live in, but I was thinking it was near DFW. I get up that way every couple of months to visit friends. I lived in Dallas for 10 years. If that's the case when I'm back up there in May we can meet up if you want to try it out. I'm going March 12, but I don't think it's going to ship by then.
02-27-2012, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #355
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I can't remember what part of Texas you live in, but I was thinking it was near DFW. I get up that way every couple of months to visit friends. I lived in Dallas for 10 years. If that's the case when I'm back up there in May we can meet up if you want to try it out. I'm going March 12, but I don't think it's going to ship by then.
Sounds great ...just keep me informed!

Here is a shot from this evening over the "Woods of Otis"

X10
[IMG] [/IMG]
02-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #356
Veteran Member

Rupert, I use that "pretend you like each other" line whenever I take pictures of couples or even a pair of friends.....after jamming them right up next to each other, of course. I've never come across a better line for getting a smile. Gotta have the camera ready to take the shot and lay it on them from behind the viewfinder with your finger on the shutter button.
02-27-2012, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #357
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Rupert, I use that "pretend you like each other" line whenever I take pictures of couples or even a pair of friends.....after jamming them right up next to each other, of course. I've never come across a better line for getting a smile. Gotta have the camera ready to take the shot and lay it on them from behind the viewfinder with your finger on the shutter button.
You are so right Mike.....the couple above literally hate each other.......the only way they would smile is if I shot one of them with my pistola....and then only one would be smiling!
Regards!
02-28-2012, 04:35 AM   #358
Veteran Member

Both
Fujifilm X10

02-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #359
Veteran Member

Love that last one Mike...the contrast between the child's porcelain-like face and the roughness of the older face make for a superb capture.
Regards!
02-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #360
Veteran Member

Home on the Range.....Good to have an OVF today.....the sun behind me totally washed out the LCD. They say you don't need one.......I say shoot here and you will quickly change your mind.
X10
[IMG] [/IMG]