Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 750 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #841
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Everyone is looking at someone here but maybe that little kid has his eye on the girl's balloon.

XP1, 35mm

05-15-2012, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #842
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the groom, shot by Mrs Rupert with her Toy Camera, the X10.
[IMG] [/IMG]

She took a lot of shots, and a lot of them were very usable. I may not get my X10 back from her!
05-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #843
Veteran Member

Oh nice one of the groom, Missus Rupert! I don't know that she *should* give that X10 up You reclaim yours, get her a new one, and you guys can be camera twinners

Okay, this is just a nothing-special snap, but I must say I'm sooo impressed by the white balance right-out-of-the-camera jpeg. This is exactly what the sunset looked like. Even my K-5 had trouble with sunsets on occasion

05-15-2012, 11:03 PM   #844
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
One of the groom, shot by Mrs Rupert with her Toy Camera, the X10.

She took a lot of shots, and a lot of them were very usable. I may not get my X10 back from her!
Dang, that's a mighty fine environmental portrait she did. I think she needs to keep the camera

QuoteOriginally posted by Ecaterin Quote

Okay, this is just a nothing-special snap, but I must say I'm sooo impressed by the white balance right-out-of-the-camera jpeg. This is exactly what the sunset looked like. Even my K-5 had trouble with sunsets on occasion
Sweet deal. Not enough detail in the foreground for me to figure out where the shot is taken from but I'll guess somewhere in West Seattle?

05-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #845
Veteran Member

I'll pass the compliments to Mrs Rupert.....although that won't help me get my camera back! I did learn something at this wedding, the X10 got some shots the K5 struggled with, and the K5 got some shots the X10 just couldn't get. It was a good idea to take Mrs Rupert and the X10, I don't regret it!

Thanks again!

BTW- Keep up the posting, I am loving all you guys post...it gives me some hope and enthusiasm!
05-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #846
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Sweet deal. Not enough detail in the foreground for me to figure out where the shot is taken from but I'll guess somewhere in West Seattle?
Actually south Seattle - from south of Beacon Hill. See the 3 radio towers close to the middle of the pic? Those are the ones on Madison on Capital Hill The view from this place is amazing (a modest little condo). We can see down town, Lake Washington and Mt. Baker.

[not x100 shots, just to give you a day light perspective]

A 200mm shot of Baker sunset from our porch:

70mm shot of downtown from our porch:
05-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #847
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'll pass the compliments to Mrs Rupert...
And constructively suggest she keep an eye out for noisy things that are in reasonable focus behind someones head when doing portraits.

05-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #848
Veteran Member

Mrs Rupert would only blame me for setting the X10 on P and leaving it there......then she would blame you for not focusing on the subject.....it's a no win...been there a million times...you are apparently much more knowledgeable with cameras than women!

Regards!
05-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #849
Veteran Member

Playing with the X100's macro setting, and it's impressing me!

05-16-2012, 07:47 PM - 2 Likes   #850
Veteran Member

Very nice...but the little girl in your blog is truly one of your best......the train is not far behind.

There is something magic about little girls......I have two sons and four grandsons...no girls...but I did have a little three year old that ate lunch with me every day for about six months at the place where her mom worked, and I eat daily. She stole my heart...and got anything she wanted, nearly bankrupted me! It was worth every dime!

Regards!

K5-Allee, my little Dolly!
[IMG] [/IMG]

You can see, we had tons of fun! Allee - a set on Flickr
05-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #851
Veteran Member

Very nice...but the little girl in your blog is truly one of your best......the train is not far behind.
Thank you! omg, she really was amazing - she was one of two children whose mothers I approached that summer at the pool saying, "Can I pleeease photograph your child? I'm not a weirdo, and I'll give you prints! Pleeease!" I really should have a gallery just for those portraits, because I simply could not find a bad shot of these children.
It was funny - after I got home and saw what I'd captured, I realized I absolutely had to give prints to her mother...only to find out we were no longer on the same pool schedule. I didn't know her name, so I literally went mom-to-mom walking around the pool one day showing this extraordinary print saying, "Do you know who this child is? I *must* find her mom, cause she *must* have these prints!" and having mom after mom saying, "OMG, YES YOU MUST!" I found her & the mom was over the moon LOL!
QuoteQuote:

There is something magic about little girls
Sooo very true. There's some magic about photographing girls that's never the same when I'm photographing boys - not even my boys who I am naturally very partial to! Boys have something else, but it's not got that almost numinous feel to it.

QuoteQuote:
......I have two sons and four grandsons...no girls...but I did have a little three year old that ate lunch with me every day for about six months at the place where her mom worked, and I eat daily. She stole my heart...and got anything she wanted, nearly bankrupted me! It was worth every dime!
ROFL!! Rupert, you big ol' softy!

And HOLY MOLY what an extraordinary shot! Lovely post processing choices as well!

ETA: forgot to put up an X100 shot - gotta keep this ball rolling

Last edited by Ecaterin; 05-16-2012 at 11:47 PM.
05-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #852
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ecaterin Quote
It was funny - after I got home and saw what I'd captured, I realized I absolutely had to give prints to her mother...only to find out we were no longer on the same pool schedule. I didn't know her name, so I literally went mom-to-mom walking around the pool one day showing this extraordinary print saying, "Do you know who this child is? I *must* find her mom, cause she *must* have these prints!" and having mom after mom saying, "OMG, YES YOU MUST!" I found her & the mom was over the moon LOL!

That indeed is a great shot!
I can relate to that story...I was at a large graduation for my oldest grandson, and in the lobby of the huge civic center, there was this little girl attending the graduation of her older sister. I asked her dad if I could snap a shot, and did. There was some of that magic in her that you see so often in girls....and later I tried to find her parents.....but I had no luck.

The original was very noisy, shot with my K20D and in poor light, but a friend processed it and got it closer to what I saw.
[IMG] [/IMG]

Little girls are just lovely to shoot!

Now....back to Fuji.......my X10 is still documenting my diet.
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!
05-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #853
Veteran Member

Besides a K-5 also enjoy using the Fuji X10! Was surprised to find this thread in the Pentax web site! I find the two cameras work great together.
Taken with the Fuji X10.

Last edited by WillH; 11-17-2012 at 01:54 PM.
05-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #854
Veteran Member

Cute little birdies! What kind? Nice perspective on the mushrooms!

Another one of Mrs Rupert's Toy Camera shots. I had the flash available set for forced, and told her when the shadows blacked out her subject, to use it....and she did quite often. I hate flash, but on this day I had to use a ton of it myself, regrettably. It is sure hard to process a days worth of flash shots, they really foul up skin tones.

Attachment 128565

Last edited by Rupert; 05-30-2015 at 12:05 PM.
05-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #855
Veteran Member

I hate flash, but on this day I had to use a ton of it myself, regrettably. It is sure hard to process a days worth of flash shots, they really foul up skin tones.
True...but digging decent skin tones out of under-exposed subjects - that's even more of a PITA I think this looks very non-flashy, really. The X-series really does have well tempered flash.

I decided I had to compete with your FOOD PICS, Rupert! So here ya go - coffee!

ETA: The "girl at graduation" photo is really lovely - her hair, her pose, her expression and the PP treatment all combine to give it a vintage feel, without going, "Hello, I am a vintage portrait!"