Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 750 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2012, 05:45 AM   #1471
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Will, I love to view old photos. I have a few favorites I'll try to post soon. What is sad is the lack of interest in our ancestry by far too many young people today. I think the easy ability to snap photos has made them less interesting to most young people as a measure of time and culture.....everything seems to be about the "here and now"....and "what can I get and when can I get it."
Been K5 shooting tonight....have some Raccoons!
Regards!
I dunno.....you're correct about the younger set! Our daughter is still very interested in the family history and the ranch. Our Granddaughter could care less. Absolutely no interest whats-so-ever. Everything is throw away; use it, abuse it, thrown it away and go get more. Family history is meaningless. The friends on Facebook and Twitter are much more valued. It's a culture that is learned in the classroom.

Looks like the raccoon squad are still doing well! You've captured some great shots!

08-04-2012, 07:03 AM   #1472

Photos: Gallery | Albums
x100 sky

x100 wide open

x100 macro

I'm in love with this little tool!

Last edited by nibutto; 08-04-2012 at 07:11 AM.
08-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #1473
Veteran Member

Nibutto, looks like you're enjoying your X100! Don't you just hate those power lines at times? Your first photo is very nice! Need to see more of your spot on the space ship!
08-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #1474
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by nibutto Quote
I'm in love with this little tool!
Easy to see why! Nice shots! Love those first red clouds!

Regards!

Will.....I got a boatload of Raccoon shots last night. They let me sit on the deck close by and shoot away. The flash doesn't seem to bother them at all either. Fun to shoot! I think someone better schooled at using the K5 and 540 flash could do a superb job, but I did what I could. I use the K5 so little it is hard for me to "get it right" now.

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

Keeping in the Fuji fold....one form last night with the 540 flash on the X10.....should have the new Fuji flash this week? The first one was the wrong item......
[IMG] [/IMG]

Will....The kids in America...or maybe the world, I don't know.....they are "different" and maybe it is just because we are old, but to have no interest in your heritage seems to be a sad commentary on our times. I used to sit for hours and listen to my Grandmother spin out the family history, and I was spellbound...and a teenager. That doesn't happen much today.
I got my grandson that new car last week, and I swear it could have been a total wreck as long as it had the best audio and Bluetooth. They live in a different world.....but I still like mine better! I look at your shots of those peaceful woods, and find some serenity.....but the young today do not seek serenity from what I see? Reality will hit hem like a ton of bricks when they get out in the "real world" but I fear they will have little solid foundation in the past to give them an anchor in the rough seas of life.
Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 08-04-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: add photo
08-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #1475
Veteran Member

I agree with what you said! I didn't like teaching High school - to social! The students were generally cruel and self centered. I started teaching community college in '91', the average student age was 34 years old! That's correct! I poled every class! Most of the students had been out in the world and received a healthy dose of cruelness and reality - sorta humbled them. After getting their head straight they came to the community college to pick up what they didn't learn in high school. Tough way to learn! I felt sorry for some students because I know many had kids, were working a job or two, and were now trying to pick up some education/training to get ahead. I'm sure most had older family members that offered advice. You are correct, this is a different world and value system. I fear only a disaster well bring values back to center.

Anyhoo, took some pictures with the X10 this afternoon. Hot, hot! Wasn't trying for bokeh(Didn't want a blurry back ground). I rather like the colors. The film mode was set to STD., DR at 400, ISO 100, size M, Aperture Priority. Just testing things a little.

Most are crops of larger picture just to see the depth of detail! The toy did okay, IMO

Last edited by WillH; 01-12-2013 at 04:32 PM.
08-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #1476
Veteran Member

I've been getting interested in motorcycles, so I went to a small swap meet/show.

Last edited by gtxtom; 08-05-2012 at 03:48 PM.
08-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #1477
Veteran Member

Gtxtom, neat photos! Got a kick out of the second photo. The alligator clip to supply power to the magneto - classic! Someone should tell the owner twisting the high voltage ignition leads together can cause a miss fire! The oil pressure line is special too, 18 coils, perfect! First bike i've seen with asbestos wrapped exhaust pipes! The ammunition can for a side carrier too! That bike is well loved! Great photo.

08-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #1478
Veteran Member

Nice ones Will....yes, do love the Fuji colors! Everything is dead around here....a mild 104F today.....

Tom...Nice bike shots, if you ever get any old BSA or Triumph shots, I'd love to see them ...rode a million miles on those old machines!

Just a little Saturday evening light meal for you guys.....Charbroiled chicken breast with low fat Nacho sauce and green chiles, steamed broccoli and cauli with tiny carrots, wild rice, and a small fruit salad....plus an avocado half! Delicious!

[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!
08-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #1479
Veteran Member

Will...We almost lost Otis this afternoon...the story is all here, captured by the X10.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/194827-nature-we-almost-lost-otis.html

It was a close one!

Regards!
08-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #1480
Veteran Member

Otis is gonna do himself and injury! Great pictures! You are going great photography!

BTW, I have that same plant in my office! Like I said in the other thread it's 42 years old. Been repotted a few times but it's doing great!
Changing some settings on the K-5 so was testing - it's almost as good as the X10 now!

Last edited by WillH; 08-04-2012 at 10:39 PM.
08-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #1481
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
Gtxtom, neat photos! Got a kick out of the second photo. The alligator clip to supply power to the magneto - classic! Someone should tell the owner twisting the high voltage ignition leads together can cause a miss fire! The oil pressure line is special too, 18 coils, perfect! First bike i've seen with asbestos wrapped exhaust pipes! The ammunition can for a side carrier too! That bike is well loved! Great photo.
Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Tom...Nice bike shots, if you ever get any old BSA or Triumph shots, I'd love to see them ...rode a million miles on those old machines!
I *think* that the 2nd shot is of a Triumph. It was with a bunch of other ones, but I'm not 100% sure though.

One more from last night. I should be getting one of these soon. A friend of a friend is selling these and hopefully I'll be getting it soon

08-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #1482
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gtxtom Quote
Thanks.
I *think* that the 2nd shot is of a Triumph. It was with a bunch of other ones, but I'm not 100% sure though.
One more from last night. I should be getting one of these soon. A friend of a friend is selling these and hopefully I'll be getting it soon
Wow! Great bike! Enjoy!

Had a '71' Honda CL450 Scrambler back in the day. Too many wrecks so wifie made me sell it! Last scooter I owned!
08-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #1483
Veteran Member

Will....Nice plant...I love mine too! I do have an ivy well over 100 years old, it was my great grandmothers.I'll try to get a shot later.

Tom...Might be a Triumph, hard to say for sure, but if so it is an older model? Sort of looks like a Norton? Good luck on getting the Honda, those are a nice ride!

Regards!
08-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #1484
Veteran Member

I finally had some time late this afternoon to get to know my new X10 a bit. I must say that I am impressed with the camera so far. I am usually not too keen on all the new digital enhancement functions of these new cameras, but when trying some of them out today I am finding they are really not gimmicks at all but very well thought out functions. I really like the idea that I can use some of the EXR functions while still using the program shift or aperture priority modes. I also like being able to use the DR function in most of the shooting modes even though you must shoot at 6mp resolution. I have now set the camera to M(6mp) so I can use those extra EXR functions.

I know that I am in infatuation mode because it is new, but as I was playing around with the X10 today I looked over at my 2 K-5's sitting on the shelf being temporarily negleted.........

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 01:05 AM.
08-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #1485
Veteran Member

Very interesting.....Fuji X10 Ergonomic Extension Kit - I think I might like this.

Amazon.com: Fujifilm X10 Ergonomic Extension Kit: Camera & Photo