Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 750 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #1606
Veteran Member

Nice photos KGH. The harbor looks so nice. Fresh!

Cooped up indoors again today! Smoke from the wild fires. Just messed around with my old Tamron lenses. I sure enjoy the manual focus and zoom. Just set in my ways. Anyhoo, tried a little ISO 1200 just to see what that looks like from the K-5. Tried this shot with the X10 and wasn't happy with the result. The K-5 with 28mm lens did passable. Detail is great!

How's the X PRO 1 with manual focus? I sure like that camera, but it's not in my sights just now.

Anyhoo, hope you don't mind a non Fuji shot? He's the right size to fit on a cracker!!

IMGP2451 by WillH32011, on Flick

Last edited by WillH; 08-22-2012 at 09:27 PM.
08-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #1607
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
...or in a Raccoon's paw! They search the birdbath most every night and seem shocked that they find nothing! Will, the news looks real bad in your area? Is the smoke that dense at your place?

KGH-Looks like a great lake! Haven't done much pano work, maybe I will get around to it someday.

Been a busy and hectic day......all I shot worthwhile was a couple of thieves tonight.
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!
08-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #1608
Veteran Member

The fish are almost keeper size, nearly 4" long. Tank has three fish that size....almost a decent snack.. Bet the racoons would go crazy watching the fish in that tank.

Yes, we're smoked in badly. I'll take some shots tomorrow. 4 big fires cooking along with over 60,000 acres involved. I understand over 500 buildings are gone. The local population of town has doubled with fire crews and media. I refuse to go to town. Those were some of the most beautiful forest and streams in the state, all gone. Caused by lightening? It was a clear sunny day and not a cloud in the sky...how does that work?

Just watched the late news. The total of all fires in this area is over 400,000 acres burned!

Last edited by WillH; 08-22-2012 at 11:12 PM.
08-23-2012, 02:43 AM   #1609
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some from the X100 while traveling in China. Also traveling with a LX5 and the two of them make a pretty good travel combo, at least for me!

Tianluokeng Tu Lou (mud house) cluster in Fujian

Li River in Guilin

View from the Dragon Bridge in Guilin

Old lady and her water buffalo in Guilin

Streetside evening Mahjong games in Xi'an

Terracotta warriors in Xi'an

Locks bearing well wishes on the North Peak of Mt Hua

View from the North Peak of Mt Hua

Last edited by darrenleow; 08-23-2012 at 03:19 AM.
08-23-2012, 05:00 AM   #1610
Veteran Member

darrenleow, great photos! Love to travel via your lens. It ain't as good as being there but I'll take it! Seems not long ago I saw or read about those round houses? Dunno, memory went with the hair and common sense! Even the water buffalo looks Chinese, is that possible.

Enjoyed the trip.....any more?
08-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #1611
Veteran Member

Here's what we look like this morning! Not as bad as yesterday but still plenty of smoke.
X10

08-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #1612
Veteran Member

Darren...I enjoyed those too, some interesting and well taken shots, and a chance to see a place I would love to visit, but never will.

I'd like to see even more like this posted here in our thread, so help yourself! Despite what it may look like here, this is still the Fuji thread, not the Will & Rupert Show! ........not that we put on a bad show!

Regards!

08-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #1613
Veteran Member

A couple more from the X100 since you guys asked... Some of the more interesting stuff that happens on Chinese streets. Did I mention that the X100 is a great street camera?

More photos (including many from the Pan LX5) here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151169481371138.501526.748241137...1

Chinese opera performed on the streets instead of on stage. Old guys drinking Chinese tea in the foreground. Xiamen

Bubble toy seller. Gulangyu Island, Xiamen

Roadside cobbler fixing my friend's flip flops. Yangshuo

A Chinese couple protesting outside a public dental hospital about the hospital 'Removing the wrong tooth, but shirking responsibility' Xi'an

Street vendor offering a tricycle-mounted telescope for customers to peep through for 10RMB (US$1+) Xi'an

Line dancing activity on a public square behind a statue of Buddhist monk Xuanzang (from Journey to the West), Xi'an

Last edited by darrenleow; 08-23-2012 at 10:41 AM.
08-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #1614
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
Seems not long ago I saw or read about those round houses?
We managed to spend a night in a room in one of the round houses that hadn't been converted into a tourist trap. It was very simple living, to say the least. The bed was a thin foam mattress on a wooden bed frame, and there was no toilet inside the building and the main door is locked at night to keep out intruders. Solution: a red bucket just outside the room door.. It was quite an experience though!
08-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #1615
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
We managed to spend a night in a room in one of the round houses that hadn't been converted into a tourist trap. It was very simple living, to say the least. The bed was a thin foam mattress on a wooden bed frame, and there was no toilet inside the building and the main door is locked at night to keep out intruders. Solution: a red bucket just outside the room door.. It was quite an experience though!

Lesson: Don't drink from the red bucket.............
08-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #1616
Veteran Member

Fabulous! Pictures are great! I like the colorful opera shot! You caught the activitvity perfectly.

Interesting about the red bucket? In England that's water to put out fires! That could be a rather rude discovery. Protesting a dental procedured, not the cost! Good stuff, thanks.

Last edited by WillH; 08-23-2012 at 11:01 AM.
08-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #1617
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
Lesson: Don't drink from the red bucket.............
Oh yeah... we were at a hostel bar a few days later and they have a house drink (shared among friends) served from none other than a red bucket.. Could not bear to order it!
08-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #1618
KGH

Will, good luck with those fires! Darren, those shots are awesome. Many of those would look at home in a collection of National Geographics. The images are every bit as good, and the colors remind me of the Kodachrome repros they published then. Great work!
08-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #1619
Veteran Member

Yep Darren...those are most enjoyable...a job well done! I sure would like to visit there if I was a little younger, but no longer have the energy required I'm afraid. That's a long flight!

Will...If you are smoked in, you might want to download and play with a great fun...and useful..... program I like to use. It's free, and runs fast and smooth. Photoscape : Free Photo Editing Software (Photo Editor) Download

Didn't spend but a minute or two on this one, she wanted to see one antiqued a little....

Shauna X10 from today at lunch.
[IMG] [/IMG]

Hey Will, I've spent all week on red tape trying to get my new studio ready to move in. Talk about a hassle! I should get electricity tomorrow, and then shop for furniture etc and get it decorated a little. I'm anxious to shoot some lovely young ladies for you guys as well as some rugged old guys and a few pets even! My K5 will be the go to camera, I have some fine glass for this kind of shootig, but I do inted to use the X10 with the strobes to see what it can do. Should be fun!

Regards!
08-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #1620
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Some from the X100 while traveling in China. Also traveling with a LX5 and the two of them make a pretty good travel combo, at least for me!

Tianluokeng Tu Lou (mud house) cluster in Fujian

Li River in Guilin

View from the Dragon Bridge in Guilin

Old lady and her water buffalo in Guilin

Streetside evening Mahjong games in Xi'an

Terracotta warriors in Xi'an

Locks bearing well wishes on the North Peak of Mt Hua

View from the North Peak of Mt Hua
Really nice series.