Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #2266
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Tuco.....that kind of knowledge and desire to experiment is most admirable.
Can you tell me ...in very simple terms....what your "machine" can do for you? I am very interested.
Thanks.

Well, if I understand this correctly, it can get me in trouble putting one of those green boxes on a plane and leaving the USA with it. Export control restrictions, I believe. The encryption in OpenBSD exceeds what is allowed leave the US. That is, it is too strong for Uncle Sam to feel confortable so they put an encryption limit for export control. You can import stronger encryption though.

But the reality of the setup is that it's just geeky is all. It just means I have control over my network to fine degree and can do special things if I want. It's really not needed by most people.

Last edited by tuco; 11-19-2012 at 09:16 PM.
11-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #2267
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds interesting Tuco....clandestine type work! Otis would like to make contact with you, he loves that sort of thing! He communicates through the grapevine, and often complains he thinks possums and raccoons listen in......

Got me some new backgrounds yesterday (5).......they sure beat the solid colors I've been using!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Mrs Rupert wanted this red one......so I got it...it was her money, so I couldn't complain!
[IMG] [/IMG]

An old time friend of mine and his wife I shot tonight with one of the new backgrounds.
[IMG] [/IMG]

I got a new 24x36 softbox too....."Quick Set-up" model ...took me an hour to put it together! Not sure how to best use it, so I guess I will just experiment until I get it right? If I like it, I'll get another one and replace my two umbrellas for a while and see if I get any improvements? This would be a lot more fun if I knew more about what I was doing........
Regards!
11-21-2012, 12:17 AM   #2268
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sounds interesting Tuco....clandestine type work! Otis would like to make contact with you, he loves that sort of thing! He communicates through the grapevine, and often complains he thinks possums and raccoons listen in......

I got a new 24x36 softbox too....."Quick Set-up" model ...took me an hour to put it together! Not sure how to best use it, so I guess I will just experiment until I get it right? If I like it, I'll get another one and replace my two umbrellas for a while and see if I get any improvements? This would be a lot more fun if I knew more about what I was doing........
Regards!
I have a couple of those collapsable backgrounds too except in solid shades of gray. No rinkels but on the solid colors I can pickup lines in the fabric if I get too much DOF. And it's not always easy to move them back much further because of their size, I find. Your key and fill are really close on most of your shots. I was wondering if you've experimented with a higher contrast ratio between the key and fill maybe (eg fill light 1.5 to 3 stops less than the key).

Last edited by tuco; 11-21-2012 at 12:41 PM.
11-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #2269
Veteran Member

Tuco, I haven't had any time to experiment with the new softbox, but I plan to when I get Shelby in there soon. I took a chance last night and used the softbox on one strobe and an umbrella on the other. Although not exactly what I wanted, it was better than I expected for the set up I used.
What about two softboxes? I can order another one just like I bought Monday....do you have any experience with that set up?
I am using this little Sunpak on an overhead boom as a hair light. It's lightweight small size is easy to manipulate and balance, and it is easy to set the power without much difficulty.
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!

11-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #2270
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Tuco, I haven't had any time to experiment with the new softbox, but I plan to when I get Shelby in there soon. I took a chance last night and used the softbox on one strobe and an umbrella on the other. Although not exactly what I wanted, it was better than I expected for the set up I used.
What about two softboxes? I can order another one just like I bought Monday....do you have any experience with that set up?
I am using this little Sunpak on an overhead boom as a hair light. It's lightweight small size is easy to manipulate and balance, and it is easy to set the power without much difficulty.
Umbrellas are good when you need portability. I find I get about the same kind of light from an umbrella as a softbox. But today some umbrellas are silver lined for more flash strength but I think at the expense of harder light.
Two softboxes are fine. A really narrow softbox makes for a good kicker light and also can be used as a fill and hair lights too.

You're getting nice results. Keep up the good work.
11-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #2271
Veteran Member

Guy, think I finally understand what you're doing! Very interesting! Perhaps you can sell your expertise to the tax department of S. Carolina!

Rupert, the portraits are looking good! Ms Rupert looks to being enjoying your work!

The storm blew out last night! The leaves are on the ground and with just a little moisture one mushroom popped up overnight! Wouldn't eat this one! Looks like some bug bored a hole in the poor ole' fungi though..... Taken with X10

Last edited by WillH; 01-12-2013 at 04:31 PM.
11-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #2272
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
The storm blew out last night! The leaves are on the ground and with just a little moisture one mushroom popped up overnight! Wouldn't eat this one! Looks like some bug bored are hole in the poor ole' fungi though..... Taken with X10
It really does a good job on close shots like that. You get the extra DOF needed sometimes and they look great.

11-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #2273
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
It really does a good job on close shots like that. You get the extra DOF needed sometimes and they look great.
That will be my first item when I check out that X Pro 1. How are the closeup photos going to be with that 18mm lens? Any clues, hints, suggestions? I bought the X10 just for mushrooms and such, so far it's been perfect, I'm extremely pleased!

This is one of hundreds of mushrooms I photographed last year when I first got the X10 - old sensor!

11-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #2274
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
That will be my first item when I check out that X Pro 1. How are the closeup photos going to be with that 18mm lens? Any clues, hints, suggestions?
The XP1 will focus pretty close. Around 6-inches is as close as you can get with the 18mm though. And the DOF will be less than the probably shorter focal length you're using on the X10. So if you want to get closer, you'll have crop or maybe try a wider lens that's coming out.
11-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #2275
Veteran Member

Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends here in Fujiland! I hope you all have a great day and plenty of fine food....enjoy! We have a lot to be thankful for, including our Fuji gear!

Will...Love those, the leaf shot is perfect for color and a reminder of the time of year where my yard disappears under a foot of leaves! Reckon what kind of critter bored that hole in the little mushroom? Nice shots BTW!

Tuco.....Thanks for the encouragement! I take a step forward, then seem to fall back, but I am still out there trying!

Beautiful sunny day here, no wind and 70F at 10:30 AM......I hope you all have a day like this in your world!

Best Regards!
Rupert
11-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #2276
Veteran Member

Well, it's kaput for another year! We had a fantastic meal with great company, as usual. Thought I'd toss out a few X10 photos! Don't generally post personal family photos, just my thing, one is of my wife uncle was fun. I asked him to give me his best Czar Nicholas look! Being a Russian he did pretty darn good! He's really funny as heck and has quite a story! The other is just the Thanksgiving table ready and one loaded with goodies.

Tossed is a B&W just for fun.

11-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #2277
Veteran Member

What a great job with the Czar pic!

The Thanksgiving table/dining room looks sooooo inviting - nicely captured with the subdued light.
11-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #2278
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
What a great job with the Czar pic!

The Thanksgiving table/dining room looks sooooo inviting - nicely captured with the subdued light.
Thanks Stan! I do enjoy the X10 and it's F2.0 lens.! That's how it all looked no PP. We cooked most of the meal, turkey N' fix'ens, the day before that way everyone could visit and enjoy the day! The turkey was grown just down the road and the wine was from a local vineyard, both were excellent! Well, everything was perfect! Nice and comfortable all around!.

My wife's uncle and I share the same birthday, just 25 years apart! Unusual! We've been celebrating our birthdays together for 43 years!
11-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #2279
Veteran Member

Well I didn't take many photos yesterday. We went to my in-laws who live in a large Amish settlement called "Big Valley". I know it's not much of a special image, but living in the deep mountains for the past 20 years where I don't get more than a 1/2 mile distance view - and then all I see are trees - I was mesmerized by just looking off at the distant farms. I didn't have the time or the ability to get out and around for some good Amish farm pics - am planning on doing some serious shooting down there this spring/summer. My father-in-law actually drives the Amish people around to different destinations that they need to go, so I will have a first hand look at the farms from a great close up perspective.

While eating dinner, I think I spent half my time staring out the window at this scene.....(x100)

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 01:55 AM.
11-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #2280
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
After reading these threads, I was misled to buy a X-10. I only took 8 pictures and was so disappointed by the results. The camera has been in the drawer for 5 months now, I think I should get rid it. The culprit is nothing else but that miniscule sensor.