Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 750 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2013, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #2521
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rupert, I'm surprised the guys all eternally longing for Pentax FF haven't yet all bought horses and gone off on an expedition in search of the Holy Grail. Clippity-clop, clippity-clop, clippity-clop. If they ever do come out with one, I sincerely doubt I'll be able to afford it. I already don't need or want the majority of the features they put on the cameras, so until the K-5 breaks they're going to have a hard time selling me another DSLR anyway.

Fujifilm X10

That on-off mechanism is one of the best points about the camera, in my opinion. That and the manual zoom. Combining the two was sheer genius.

02-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #2522
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
That on-off mechanism is one of the best points about the camera, in my opinion. That and the manual zoom. Combining the two was sheer genius.
Indeed.

If you're going to hold the camera up to your face (like a camera), the manual zoom is fantastic. If I end up springing for the X20, it will be for the information overlay in the viewfinder.

I just prefer operating the camera with it stuck to my nose.
02-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #2523
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grainbelt Quote
Indeed.

If you're going to hold the camera up to your face (like a camera), the manual zoom is fantastic. If I end up springing for the X20, it will be for the information overlay in the viewfinder.

I just prefer operating the camera with it stuck to my nose.
I absolutely DEMAND an optical viewfinder; if the X10 hadn't had one, I would have kept on walking right past it. There are rare times when I use the rear screen for shooting, but I'll be damned if I'll have that as my only option.

One of the coolest things about the new overlay in the X20 is that the P mode will actually finally be fully usable. Think about it, until now if you wanted to shoot with the OVF then you just took on blind faith whatever shutter/aperture combo the camera chose for you. Sure, you can spin the wheel and choose various combinations, but you can't see them on the X10, unless you take the camera down. And if you take the camera down, odds are what the camera is now pointing at isn't the same as what you wanted to shoot and it is going to change again as soon as you raise the camera again...so the whole process is pointless. I can't possibly be the only person who has thought of this, but I sure haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

Fujifilm X10
02-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #2524
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Me too, I think. I am just not sure about the on/off mechanism, I found it really awkward on the X10 when looking in the store and considering that.
That is not a detraction,it is an attraction! Once you use it, you will love it, I guarantee. Read below.......Mike is 100% correct on this.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Mike, you are so right, and having information is going to be of huge benefit to shooters like you and those like me that mostly use the OVF. It puts an end to "shooting in the dark" information wise.
I am like you, if there is no OVF, I am not really interested. Those that claim they don't need one are either inside shooters or live in a climate where the sun doesn't shine. Most of them can be heard complaining of this sooner or later if you follow their posts.

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Such a cute little guy, devil or no
Wasn't so cute to see the wiring harness on my Jeep destroyed by squirrels...and even less exciting to see the bill for over $1K to repair it.

Regards!

02-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #2525
Veteran Member

Black Hills South Dakota

Went to Rapid City SD last week on business. My first time in the Mount Rushmore area............Had to get my X100 out of my bag as the plane approached passing over the "Badlands" of SD. Other pics of Mt Rushmore.
Attached Images

02-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #2526
Veteran Member

Those are some fine shots GD, and I can see why the Badlands are called Badlands! The landscapes are excellent, crisp, clear and with perfect color!
Regards!
02-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #2527
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
Had to get my X100 out of my bag as the plane approached passing over the "Badlands" of SD
Great photos! I especially like the first one, cool abstract of the landscape. I've driven through N/S Dakota a few times. The eastern halves are beyond boring, but once you get to the west, it gets real interesting.

02-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #2528
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I took my X100 out for a spin this last weekend. But a weird problem has developed. I don't know if it is the camera, batteries or charger. I'm suspecting the charger is faulty. Anyway, with two freshly charged batteries I went out. I turned on the camera and a moment later the battery indicator on the camera showed it low and red. I put in the backup battery and the same situation.

I spent all of Sunday charging both batteries and still red warning low indicator. The camera has low milage and I can't believe both batteries would go bad at the same time.
02-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #2529
Veteran Member

Haven't been hanging around any Boeing 787s have you? They're pretty rough on lithium batteries I hear. You are up in that area, right?
Regards!
02-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #2530
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, I've worked on the 787 program but my camera hasn't been near the plane, ha.
02-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #2531
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My girlfriend has a bunny. I don't quite know what to make of it, but he's sorta cute, sometimes.

As much as I'm sure the X20 is great, I absolutely love EXR High ISO for indoor shots without a flash. ISO 1600 in both, around 1/25th of a second exposure. Light sharpening and vignettes added. Custom WB off a piece of mail on the coffee table.
02-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #2532
Veteran Member

Nice shot of a very cute little bunny! Great color and WB. I'm going to hang on to my X10 even after I get the X20, and I think your remarks are on the money. The new sensor in the X20 may have some advantages, but the EXR is for sure worth keeping, it is wonderful! I also love the Pro Low Light feature of the X10,it's a killer for night shots!

Dinner for Mrs Rupert tonight, I prepare all the evening meals here.
X10 - Natural setting-With/Without flash
[IMG] [/IMG]

There''s a nice salad there, your rabbit is welcome to it!

Regards!
02-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #2533
Veteran Member

It could be worse....she could have cats.

(I love cats, so spare me).
02-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #2534
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I feel cats take back seat to those little white yippee dogs with their "little dog" syndrom nature.
02-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #2535
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grainbelt Quote
My girlfriend has a bunny. I don't quite know what to make of it, but he's sorta cute, sometimes.
Sometimes....something cute and furry can help take the pressure of the boyfriend, which is fine by me. I was never much of a cat guy, but we rescued one a few years back that is pretty awesome. Never realized how much personality cats have, kinda thought they were just there....but my feline cracks me up. +1 on pups with "little dog" syndrome.....can't stand yippiee dogs.

Im not going to show your buddy to my girl....then we would have a cat and a bunny running around our place