Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 750 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #2926
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
X-E1 w. 18-55mm. Raw, developed in-camera (in-camera raw development is good and very convenient) using the Velvia simulation.

Name:  DSCF3140.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  116.5 KB

Slightly noisy at ISO 6400 and a little soft (not me missing focus, oh no!) but would be perfectly acceptable at, say, 7" x 5". K-5 definitely has the edge in high ISO, I'd say. Should have probably dialled it down for this one.

04-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #2927
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Without seeing either in person.....I tend to lean toward the X-E1 for the first reason of it having an adjustable diopter. With the X-pro1 you have to buy separate diopter lenses - kind of ridiculous to me in this day and age.

With my x100 I find myself using the EVF most of the time, so missing the OVF of the X-pro1 wouldn't bother me. I just love seeing the live histogram in the viewfinder!

That's about it - same sensor in both and take the same lenses.
Thanks Stan...........I'm leaning towards the XP1 and should understand the difference before I jump...
04-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #2928
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
Thanks Stan...........I'm leaning towards the XP1 and should understand the difference before I jump...
Care to share you thoughts on both? I haven't made my mind up yet - far from it - but would like to hear your comparison also.
04-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #2929
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote

Slightly noisy at ISO 6400 and a little soft (not me missing focus, oh no!) but would be perfectly acceptable at, say, 7" x 5". K-5 definitely has the edge in high ISO, I'd say. Should have probably dialled it down for this one.
What camera isn't noisy at ISO 6400? The DxO sports ISO of the K-5 is 1162. The X100 is 1000. Hardly any difference in terms of stops. And the XP1 is much better than the X100 in high ISO, IMHO.

04-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #2930
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
What camera isn't noisy at ISO 6400? The DxO sports ISO of the K-5 is 1162. The X100 is 1000. Hardly any difference in terms of stops. And the XP1 is much better than the X100 in high ISO, IMHO.
I am actually *extremely* surprised by the low level of noise that my K-01 exhibits at 6400ISO, compared to the K10D at 400 ISO. Sure, the faster the noisier, but that's a point where technology really has made progress....
04-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #2931
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
I am actually *extremely* surprised by the low level of noise that my K-01 exhibits at 6400ISO, compared to the K10D at 400 ISO. Sure, the faster the noisier, but that's a point where technology really has made progress....

My DSLR has a DxO sports ISO of 2980. That's almost ISO 3200 before noise is significant. At ISO 6400 it has noise. The K-01 has a sports ISO 1135. Now are you guys looking at the RAW file noise or the noise reduction applied to the out of camera JPEGs?
04-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #2932
Veteran Member

As an owner of both the Pentax K5 and Fuji X100, I have been looking at the XE-1 and X Pro 1 for a while now. Even as interchangeable lens cameras, I'm not sure either of the Fujis would push me to get rid of my K5. I am a big fan of the DA Limited lenses, I like the option to use longer focal lengths, and the overall beefiness of the K5 body is great for hiking/backpacking.

I was at a local camera store a couple weeks back looking at the XE-1 / X Pro 1. Not really factoring what seems to be minimal variations in performance....it looks like at least for me it would come down to size, LCD quality and how highly an OVF and on board flash ranked on a list of importance. I like the EVF/OVF of my X100....I would say I use the OVF at least 70% of the time and a large part of my EVF use goes toward "macro" photos. I know I would miss the OVF with an XE-1 as Im not a huge fan of the electronic feed no matter how HQ. On other side I would also miss the on board flash with the X Pro 1. I don't use flash that often on my X100, I avoid it actually for the most part, but for some situations that are back light or not lit at all it is necessary. Looking at the external flash offered for the X Pro 1, it is compact but Im not sure I would carry it that often. Size does factor in as well. The X-pro 1 is not huge by any means especially compared to a DSLR, but it is a bit bigger/heavier than the XE-1.

I guess what Im saying is that if the performance is the same with the same sensor, I might side with the on board flash and smaller sized XE-1.....but I would miss the OVF quite a bit. Perfect scenario......the X Pro 2 comes out with all of the same features as the XP1 but adds an on board flash and debuts at the XE-1 price point

04-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #2933
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I wish my XP1 had a flash built in. It does come in handy now and then. And carrying a flash around is like carrying a tripod. You only need it when you forget to bring it along. When its built-in, no problem forgetting it.
04-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #2934
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing your thoughts abieleck - I think we are helping each other with the different points of comparison.

While I very rarely use on-camera flash, Fuji does a great job with it.

You are so lucky that you had a chance to hold these cameras yourself. That would help me so much with what direction I want to go.

At the end of the day, because of my shooting style, I don't think I can part with my K-5. Right now having the x100 as a second camera works well for me.
04-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #2935
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I'm not sure any Fuji camera will actually outperform the K5 fitted with a comparable lens in most areas of function. They are not really the same type of camera, so a comparison is not fair...to the Fujis. For me, the size, shape and styling......yes, styling...is what I find most attractive. The K5 looks like a million other DSLRs, they pretty much all look the same, but not the Fujis. It would be hard to give up the K5 advantages totally, there are just too many of them.
Still, the X-E1 is enticing to me, and with the zooms, might even become practical for most of my shooting. I'm not sure practical is always what we do...I have a perfectly fine X10....and also a new X20...that is not being practical, since the differences are not breathtaking. First we have to really like something, for whatever reason, practical or not, and if it hits our "hot button" , little else matters.

Hats off to Fuji for making some fine looking X-Cameras!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!
04-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #2936
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I'm not sure any Fuji camera will actually outperform the K5 fitted with a comparable lens in most areas of function.
Why not? The standard K-5 has a 1.5 crop factor sensor same as the XP1/XE1 and those Fuji's don't have an AA filter. What is so magical about the K-5?
04-30-2013, 06:14 AM   #2937
Veteran Member

Tuco......Make a list of features for comparison....start with a rainy day and go from there. Most of your features will be washed out before we get to make the comparisons.
Once you are dried out, assuming you are still operating, let's both mount the 500mm Bigma and use it in fully automatic mode. Then let's do some lens shopping and see how many options we each have.

That's just for starters, we can keep going as soon as you get the water out.

Regards!
04-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #2938
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tuco......Make a list of features for comparison....start with a rainy day and go from there. Most of your features will be washed out before we get to make the comparisons.
Once you are dried out, assuming you are still operating, let's both mount the 500mm Bigma and use it in fully automatic mode. Then let's do some lens shopping and see how many options we each have.

Regards!
You mean like falling into a snowbank wearing an XPro? Landed on the shutter, under a large pile of me. No case, no protection. Wiped it off, kept working. Caught in a cloud burst at the beach, same thing. It's tougher than advertised dude.

And if we're comparing feature, it's really a case of what features matter to you. I wouldn't think about mount long glass on the XPro, but it doesn't really matter since the number of times I've used a lens longer than 135mm in the past 2 years could be counted on a single hand. So I start with not needing/wanting/being able to get into places carrying a big "professional" looking camera. Or deal with shutter noise. And getting a logical, tactile physical control arrangement. Of course, if those things don't matter to the way you shoot, not sure why a XPro would even be on the board, it's a lot to pay for liking the styling. But if they do, the K-5's not even on the board.
Attached Images

04-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #2939
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Regards!
Yes, good points Rupert. I was thinking more along the lines of the resulting image you get from those Fujis for the pictures it can take. I later noticed your comment did include a broader scope.
04-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #2940
Veteran Member

Well, like I said earlier, I think any comparison is flawed, since they are different animals, with different strengths and weaknesses. For me, both have appeal, for different reasons, as does my little X20.
I am always amazed at the photos from the three top X cameras, they are spectacular, but sometimes we do forget what is posted over there in the K5 Photo thread, also some spectacular shots. As with the Fuji X Cameras, I think the lenses and the shooters make a huge difference. You have little choice with the Fuji lenses...they are all good. With the K5 we are very often looking at shots with low grade lenses, but when you view shots with the Ltd lenses and a qualified shooter, as you guys are, I'd wager that the K5 will match the X cameras for all practical purposes? IQ is important, no doubt, and most all the top cameras can produce it nowadays, regardless of brand. Fuji colors........I don't see those anywhere but with a Fuji.

Regards!