Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 750 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #3061
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Via wiki....."The name mammatus is derived from the Latin mamma (meaning "udder" or "breast")."

Huh? Staring up into the sky as I have always seen cloud shaped naked women.....thought it was just me.....now I know Im not the only one

That is definitely interesting....never heard of these before. They are a sign of a coming severe storm, so you were right about that.

Mammatus cloud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

05-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #3062
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

If Mrs Rupert caught me with a naked woman, it would be another sign of a coming storm. One I most likely wouldn't survive.
I guess looking at them in the clouds would pass, but I'm not going to mention it just to be sure.
Regards
05-23-2013, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #3063
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
but I'm not going to mention it just to be sure.
Storms and women....better safe than sorry

Went camping a few weekends ago and tried a few long exposure star shots with the X100. Not perfect but still kinda cool.

26 sec. @ f/2 ISO 400
05-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #3064
Veteran Member

Yes, it is kinda cool! Haven't been camping in years....was it fun? Hot dogs? I love hot dogs when I go camping, I always had them every night...drove Mrs Rupert crazy!

It's late May, the time when our millions of prickly pears begin to bloom. Some are in full bloom, some have not started yet, it varies depending on the location and how much heat they get.

X20
[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

Got to watch for Rattlers in the tall grass, they hang around these for the field mice.

Regards!

05-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #3065
Veteran Member

Yes, it is kinda cool! Haven't been camping in years....was it fun? Hot dogs? I love hot dogs when I go camping, I always had them every night...drove Mrs Rupert crazy!
Being from the Mid-west.....we had cheddar brats (which are amazing) and cheese burgers. We were truck camping which is always fun. You can bring chairs, grill, games.....even a few insulated growlers full of a local black IPA. The star show was just the icing on the cake
05-24-2013, 03:22 PM - 2 Likes   #3066
Veteran Member

Some photos with my X100 from a camping trip out east along the Deschutes River. Went out to celebrate a buddies Bday, had a great even though winds were hitting us hard. Took the scenic route through Hood River on the way back to enjoy the scenery, local BBQ, and give my Hasselblad some work.

05-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #3067
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abieleck Quote
Some photos with my X100 from a camping trip out east along the Deschutes River. Went out to celebrate a buddies Bday, had a great even though winds were hitting us hard. Took the scenic route through Hood River on the way back to enjoy the scenery, local BBQ, and give my Hasselblad some work.

Great series. Real men don't need no stink'en metered prism on their Hasselblad.

05-24-2013, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #3068
Veteran Member

The dogs look delicious! No camping trip should be without dogs! Those little burn spots are what makes them perfect.....may not be good for you, but good...it is! I always have at least 3-4 all with different dressings, and all with cheese or varying types. Good old Velveeta is hard to beat on a dog!

A couple of different cacti from another location today. I like the ones with the red centers better....

X20
[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!
05-25-2013, 12:58 AM   #3069
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Great series. Real men don't need no stink'en metered prism on their Hasselblad.
Hahahaha. Im still a noob when it comes to the system and the format, I need all the help I can get!

Really..... without an upgraded/brighter focus screen I can't really trust the reading from the prism anyway. The photos that I shot using the waist level and hand held meter....or prism and held held meter have come out much better than what the prism meter gave me. I will say that it is nice for composition....I still havent gotten the hang of the backwards view looking through the waist level.

Heading out for a long weekend in Eastern Washington this weekend.....even before reading your post I was considering leaving the prism behind behind....now it's confirmed

The dogs look delicious! No camping trip should be without dogs!
We always got plenty of dogs.....both furry and edible ones Usually they just end up on the end of a stick over the fire, this time we were spoiled with a grill

If I don't make it on the thread this weekend I hope everyone gets a chance to get out and shoot some photos over the holiday weekend! Even with all of our problems....this country is still pretty kick ass thanks in large part to our Vets. Have fun / be safe!
05-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #3070
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abieleck Quote
I will say that it is nice for composition....I still havent gotten the hang of the backwards view looking through the waist level.
I find it harder to use after shooting with my digital a lot. But with a grid on the focus matte, I find if you look at the the things in the finder as objects, shapes and forms then place them on the grid for composition and balance you tend to not get confused. It may even help some compositions because our brain tends to fill in info for familiar things. And when its not familiar looking we tend to give it a little more study.
05-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #3071
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I find it harder to use after shooting with my digital a lot. But with a grid on the focus matte, I find if you look at the the things in the finder as objects, shapes and forms then place them on the grid for composition and balance you tend to not get confused. It may even help some compositions because our brain tends to fill in info for familiar things. And when its not familiar looking we tend to give it a little more study.
You guys are a lot more sophisticated shooters than me....and my Toy Camera. I read what you write, but understand almost nothing of it. Never shot film.....I think I missed a lot of learning.

Anyhow, I am just happy to discover (through the help of a Forum Member) that my Bigma just had dirty contacts, so I don't have to send it in for repair! Otis was so happy, he let me take a shot of him this morning for a fellow Member that has been missing him.

Regards!

K5+Bigma He may be trouble, but damn, he is handsome!
[IMG] [/IMG]
05-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #3072
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice set Aaron (like the big camera as well)

The country trail pics are superb Tuco - a cracking wander (thank you for the kind words as well).

pic from before work and during work today using the wee X100

05-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #3073
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mark lj Quote
The country trail pics are superb Tuco - a cracking wander (thank you for the kind words as well).

pic from before work and during work today using the wee X100
Thanks. I just gave my X100 to my nephew. I'll be pointing him to this thread for some inspiration.

He seems interested in photography and I'm going to encourage him as much as possible. I need someone in the family who has some appreciation, concern, care and whereabouts to maintain and carry family digital files, my negatives and prints at least into one more generation.
05-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #3074
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here are a few shots from my friend's garden (all with the 60mm).

Here's my first attempt with Silver Efex (yes, I took advantage of the bundle price; I think I need a new laptop, though, because it's very slow):

And finally, a cute puppy shot:

Last edited by top-quark; 05-27-2013 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Aberrant apostrophe
05-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #3075
Veteran Member

I took my my 100S to one of my favorite shooting spots; the old Woodlawn Cemetery in Detroit yesterday and got a few nice ones.........
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
X100S  Photo