Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 750 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #3451
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I don't do much X20 Macro shooting, but my oldest grandson gave Mrs Rupert a nice bouquet of mixed blooms so I tried a couple....
What striking colors!

08-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #3452
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Not bad for a Toy Camera! Love the Fuji colors!
Those shots do look nice, Rupert.
08-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #3453
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Thanks Stan, Tuco........gotta love the way Fuji does colors. These are so authentic I can barely tell any difference from the live scene.

Regards!
08-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #3454

Photos: Gallery
Haven't been shooting much other than for the paper in the last month but here are two from a car show last sunday:

This one I believe is a 1967 Chevy Chevelle Malibu. I didn't keep the greatest notes -.-

And this was the people's choice winner, a 1970 Chevy Nova in Sunburst Orange.

08-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #3455
MSM
Veteran Member

Question Re: X100s ND filter

I need some help from the many great X users here. I recently bought the X100s. I was out shooting some sample snaps and tried out the ND filter. There seems to be an excessive drop off in contrast. I was hoping to get a collective opinion as to whether I need to ask for an exchange in the camera. I am away from my photos but posted examples on a Fuji site (very little activity). Please let me know what you think. Even in the small web-sized images they loss looks obvious to me. This was a big selling point for me to have the ND filter. I wonder if it is dirty or defective.

here is the link.
08-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #3456
Veteran Member

Toronto's Flatiron

08-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #3457
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
I need some help from the many great X users here. I recently bought the X100s. I was out shooting some sample snaps and tried out the ND filter. There seems to be an excessive drop off in contrast. I was hoping to get a collective opinion as to whether I need to ask for an exchange in the camera. I am away from my photos but posted examples on a Fuji site (very little activity). Please let me know what you think. Even in the small web-sized images they loss looks obvious to me. This was a big selling point for me to have the ND filter. I wonder if it is dirty or defective.
Small images. I don't recall any issue with my X100.

From looking at the images, the before/after look to have about the same equivalent exposure. That is the shadows look to have about the same depth in each. But the contrast does look different. Perhaps knowing the exposure info for the before/after might be useful. I mean it could just be the difference between say f2 and f4. It is not uncommon for lenses to be less contrasty wide open.

08-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #3458
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote

here is the link.
Do you have a "shade" on? It seems like you're getting "flaring" from a low sun, the ND filter will only exaggerate it more.

Okay i missed the "no hood", so i'm saying it's 'flaring" from your shooting angle
08-16-2013, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #3459
Veteran Member

MSM...............I think this Fuji site has much more activity and broader scope...........check it out

Portal - Fuji X Forum
08-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #3460
MSM
Veteran Member

@GDRoth: Thanks. I have been there on occasion. It does seem to be a nice active site. Not quite like here.

@Tuco: I corrected my original post at the other site. All the shots were with the same ISO(200), DR (100), and F-stop (2).

I will go out and shoot some more and see if I can see what makes this happen.
08-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #3461
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Do you have a "shade" on? It seems like you're getting "flaring" from a low sun, the ND filter will only exaggerate it more.

Okay i missed the "no hood", so i'm saying it's 'flaring" from your shooting angle
I think you may be right. I hope so. I really don't want to hassle with a return/repair. That said I have a hood now and will try it out. I have indoor shots with the ND filter and no difference in IQ. I was able to recover on in Aperture3 the loss of contrast and adjustment of the exposure. The first example was so bad I couldn't correct it.

I have to say, I don't remember reading about severe flare and PF,too. Maybe I just shot at an extreme. That is bright overcast, wide open with a built in ND filter and no hood. If that is the case, I can live with it.
08-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #3462
Veteran Member

Versatility...the X20 has it! It may not have the power of it's big brothers, but it has plenty of tricks and more than enough features to keep me shooting at every opportunity.

If it's studio lights......( two of my grandsons)
[IMG] [/IMG]

Or total dark nights....
[IMG] [/IMG]

Hard to compose with just the brief focus light of the X20, but in this shot I did do better.
[IMG] [/IMG]

I've shot a little of everything with the X20, and in most cases it has met or exceeded my expectations.

It helps to have a raccoon that will model without fear. He's getting better all the time!

Regards!
08-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #3463

So I attempted to overpower the sun today with my Einstein strobe and the X100. I had to go to the camera shop and buy a hotshoe PC Synch adapter because the X100 has no synch spots and pocketwizards can only do like 1/250th or 1/500th.

Using a Fuji X100, Promaster hot shoe PC sync port, 15' PC to Mono sync cable and an Einstein 640 strobe at 1/4 power with a 10º grid to control spill. Because the fuji has a leaf shutter it can sync at much faster speeds than my DSLR (can only do 1/160th).

1/1200th F8 ISO 800

08-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #3464
Veteran Member

Handy to be able to sync up to 1/4000 on the X20, I don't use it much, but when I do I appreciate the ability.

1/2500 F2 ISO 400

Fuji has some nice features, even in their Toy Cameras!
Regards!
08-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #3465
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice, Fuji makes good syncs, especially with the 100 series.

Here are a couple from today... The battery died, that's my fault. The second is for the color, really a document for me.

X-10 for both... Pro-Light mode.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X10  Photo