Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 750 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2014, 06:53 AM   #4081
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice one Abie! Isn't that the mountain people are always getting rescued on? If I ever tried to climb it I'd be easy to rescue....I'd get no higher that the 5 foot level...if that! Walking up the two steps from my living room to the dining room now requires ropes, anchors and a parachute...just in case.

After I get the X-T1 I will be doing some lens shopping. I'll start with the 18-55 that comes with it and then go from there. I am counting on the X-T1 to make me a world class shooter...so you guys watch out!

Anyone ever watch the Red Green show? "If you can't be handsome, be handy?"

Well, if you can't be a great shooter, have a handsome camera!

Regards!

02-04-2014, 07:18 AM   #4082
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I posted a scan of a slide print of me on top of Mt Hood in this thread somewhere. Great view on top.
02-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #4083
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
That's one big mountain! We don't have anything like that around here.

Looks like the 55-200 is a keeper then.
Here in the NW, we are lucky to have a handful of snow capped mountains. The Cascade Range which stretches from Northern CA all the up through OR and WA into Southern BC, provides for some beautiful views. Mt Hood is a frequent subject, but to me never really gets old......maybe because I come from a flat lands of MN just south of you.

I like the 55-200 a lot so far. I haven't used a telephoto in a while, mostly shooting with my Fuji X100 and MF film gear. I like how I can compress a scene and give the some perspective with a subject in the photo. For this shot I moved back behind Sarah about 30-40 feet and zoomed in. In hindsight I would have either upped the ISO from 200 or brought a tripod back so I could stop down the lens a bit to get more depth of field....this was at F/8.

02-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #4084
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Nice one Abie! Isn't that the mountain people are always getting rescued on? If I ever tried to climb it I'd be easy to rescue....I'd get no higher that the 5 foot level...if that! Walking up the two steps from my living room to the dining room now requires ropes, anchors and a parachute...just in case.

After I get the X-T1 I will be doing some lens shopping. I'll start with the 18-55 that comes with it and then go from there. I am counting on the X-T1 to make me a world class shooter...so you guys watch out!
Yep, seems like the are at least a couple rescues a year. We saw what we think was a Life Flight leaving the mountain and heading back toward PDX.....but that was mostly likely a skier/snowboarder. I have a funny mental image of you full of mountaineering gear, roped up with crampons on, trying to traverse the gap between the living/dining room.....while Mrs. Rupert just walks by with a bin of laundry

I know you are being facetious, but sometimes a piece of new gear can spark creativity and make me want to shoot more....either way, I look forward to seeing you photos with the X-T1, and will be jealous when it arrives.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I posted a scan of a slide print of me on top of Mt Hood in this thread somewhere. Great view on top.
I like that photo. I think it deserves a re-post....after all, you did literally climb a mountain to get it

02-04-2014, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #4085
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One with the X-Pro1 and the 35mm lens on the way up yesterday morning.

02-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #4086
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mark lj Quote
Wow, I really like this photo. Beautiful scene overall, the 35mm provided for excellent framing. The river cutting through....and the house/bridge to provide some perspective as to how the grand the scene really is. Awesome.

Is this in the Lake District?
02-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #4087
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abieleck Quote
I like that photo. I think it deserves a re-post....after all, you did literally climb a mountain to get it
Okay, here it is. This is the view on top of Mt Hood looking North with, from our left to right, Mount St Helen (after it blew its top off), Mount Rainier and Mount Adams in the background.

This was before digital. A member of the climb took it on slide film and gave me a print. All I could do is scan it.

02-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #4088
Veteran Member

Class Tuco.
02-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #4089
Veteran Member

Wow, I really like this photo. Beautiful scene overall, the 35mm provided for excellent framing. The river cutting through....and the house/bridge to provide some perspective as to how the grand the scene really is. Awesome.

Is this in the Lake District?
Its up at Glencoe - this was the main shot with the 800 (I prefer the smaller shot with the X-Pro1)

A good recce and certainly a spot I'll return to for a dusk and a dawn.

02-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #4090
Veteran Member

This was before digital. A member of the climb took it on slide film and gave me a print. All I could do is scan it.
Print scan or not, that is a great photo and incredible view. Nice of the guy to give you a print.

Its up at Glencoe - this was the main shot with the 800 (I prefer the smaller shot with the X-Pro1)
When I do make it back to the UK someday I will have to hit you up for some of your favorite locations to check out.

I like the 800 photo as well, awesome tones and range....but I prefer the first shot with the Fuji too. Tighter framing which I think leads to a more interesting/unique composition. My eye starts at one of the peaks, follows it down, a trip down the river, to end up at the house/bridge.....really nice.
02-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #4091
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Sweet. We have some snow in the mountains near me like that now. I just need some time off from work and find a vantage point.
02-04-2014, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #4092
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here in the NW, we are lucky to have a handful of snow capped mountains. The Cascade Range which stretches from Northern CA all the up through OR and WA into Southern BC, provides for some beautiful views. Mt Hood is a frequent subject, but to me never really gets old......maybe because I come from a flat lands of MN just south of you.

I like the 55-200 a lot so far. I haven't used a telephoto in a while, mostly shooting with my Fuji X100 and MF film gear. I like how I can compress a scene and give the some perspective with a subject in the photo. For this shot I moved back behind Sarah about 30-40 feet and zoomed in. In hindsight I would have either upped the ISO from 200 or brought a tripod back so I could stop down the lens a bit to get more depth of field....this was at F/8.
Indeed you do have some amazing mountains out there. I visited there 15 or so years ago, so got to see Hood from a distance. Went walking around Hurricane Ridge (Apologies for the kodak film in advance....):

Tele lenses are neat for this sort of thing. As you say, you probably have gone to ISO 400 and F11, but being there was the most important thing IMO.
02-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #4093
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Killer shots. Really like B&W when the environment has hard edges, or where colour disguises the shape of the landforms.
02-04-2014, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #4094
Veteran Member

his was before digital. A member of the climb took it on slide film and gave me a print. All I could do is scan it.
Great shot! Love it and all the mountain shots. I just don't want to actually be there if any climbing is involved, any snow within sight, or any temperature falls below 70F.

Regards!
02-05-2014, 06:20 AM   #4095
Veteran Member

Went to visit this old guy/friend yesterday....haven't been able to visit him at the nursing home in 4 months. I always try to round up a pretty girl to pose with him, he has a wall full of photos like this one from past visits. He gets worse with almost every visit....near blind, overweight, congestive heart failure, diabetes etc. He can barely walk now...even a few feet. He does maintain a good attitude, but it must be hard to do. I listen to his stories, some I have heard many times, but always hear some new one worth the listening. Like how he and his brother greased the RR tracks west of town on a steep grade when they were kids and it took the RR crew half a day to clean the tracks and get moving again. He told me to "keep it quiet"....they are still looking for the culprits!

X20- Light in this place was horrible, so instead of flash I used the Pro Low Light setting....I find it works very nicely even for people shooting if they are still enough.

Old Charlie

Regards!