Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #4231
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ecaterin Quote
MAN Pop, that makes the X-Pro look like the X100 - I keep reading really disparate reports on the 27/2.8 - care to render judgement? Cause at that price, it's tempting for when I want Pocket Fuji
I've only had the 27/2.8 for a few days so haven't had a chance to really shoot with it yet; hope to do some of that later this afternoon. But, just playing around with it inside the house, just a few quick thoughts:
- AF is quite fast, but there is AF noise; the sound kinda reminds me of the AF noise of the 23/1.4
- it's pretty compact! But it's a pancake lens after all
- not having the aperture ring and having to use the rear dial to change aperture feels a little bit odd at first, but very easy to get used to *(see two posts down for update)
- there's nothing regarding the image quality (good/bad) that really stands out thus far for me to comment on; this is from viewing only on the camera LCD. From the reports I have read though, it is a pretty sharp lens, some say one of the the sharpest Fuji-X lenses

At US$449, I probably wouldn't be shelling out my hard earned for it. With the current lens specials of $199 though, I think it's a lens definitely worth considering.

Last edited by pop4; 03-29-2014 at 03:15 AM.
03-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #4232
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good work Jac! You remembered! That's better than I usually do, and your shot looks great....how was the brew?

I just grabbed this a week or so ago, and failed to read the label. Picked it up tonight and found it to read it has "just the right combination" of orange peel and coriander. I hate flavored Ales but decided to shoot it and then pour it down the drain. Took a sip first, and amazingly, it is pretty good stuff. No obvious taste of either orange peel or coriander, and just a very slight bitterness that well suits my preference in an Ale.

We ate out at our favorite Mexican place tonight, and I snapped a shot of Mrs Rupert......just as my X20 battery died....you have to watch that with the X20!

I don't know what happened to this one? I did a conversion in DXO and it got blotchy on Flickr. It's not blotchy on my monitor, it looks pretty good, but not on Flickr?

Anyhow, I did get a BF shot in tonight! If you placed your bet that I would, check with your bookie, you just might be a big winner! Odds were 200 to 1 that I wouldn't!

Regards!
03-29-2014, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #4233
Veteran Member

A couple from the 27/2.8 today. They say you don't know what you've got till it's gone, and that's very true for the aperture ring on the Fuji-X lenses!! All the other Fuji-X lenses I have owned thus far have marked aperture rings. I found when using the lens, what I really missed was being able to look down at the lens and know what aperture I have selected. Having said that, actually using the rear dial to change aperture wasn't an issue.

03-29-2014, 06:25 AM   #4234
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Good work Jac! You remembered! That's better than I usually do, and your shot looks great....how was the brew?

I just grabbed this a week or so ago, and failed to read the label. Picked it up tonight and found it to read it has "just the right combination" of orange peel and coriander. I hate flavored Ales but decided to shoot it and then pour it down the drain. Took a sip first, and amazingly, it is pretty good stuff. No obvious taste of either orange peel or coriander, and just a very slight bitterness that well suits my preference in an Ale.

Regards!
Blue Moon got me through my work trip to Washington, and I seem to have developed a taste for wheat beers.... Vedett extra white being my fav, off to Amsterdam on monday so that should be good on the taste buds!

Had a little play with the 35mm while my daughter was in a good mood....

I also treated myself to the Nik Collection seems OK for what it does, did have 2nd thoughts after I bought it though....

Looking forward to taking both the X-Pro and X10 to Amsterdam and see what happens!

Cheers, Steve

03-29-2014, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #4235
Veteran Member

Pop--- I LOVE that kitty cat shot, what great and vivid color in those shots!

Skank---Those are gorgeous, she is a real beauty! 2nd one is my favorite, but all are very excellent!

Went back and processed this one in DXO using a different film.....looks better on here but no better than the other one on my monitor...why, I don't know?

Maybe it is just the quirks of Toy Camera shooting? Still, I love a good Toy Camera that can go anywhere anytime. Great for quick candids, in particular if you can catch them asleep!

Regards!
03-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #4236
Veteran Member

I still love my little X10, it just delivers! My uncle prefers the B&W files from it as well.

Not had a chance to try the X20 but you sure do get some lovely shots Rupert.

Just been trying the X-Pro 1 video with my other hobby... took some photos of one of my play things.

Keeps me quite and out of trouble.

Cheers, Steve
03-29-2014, 11:03 AM   #4237
Veteran Member

Skank....Those are nice sharp and detailed shots. What kind of engine is it? Looks about the size of the one in my little Audi TT?

As for the X10 vs X20....I seldom use the X10 now, but still believe it renders better results than the X20 in many circumstances, despite reviews that say otherwise. The X20 does have that info in the viewfinder, which is very handy, and it is much faster than the X10 to lock focus, and it does so with great accuracy.

Still on the fence on the X-T1, even more so now that I have heard the X30 will be out soon with a larger sensor? These little cameras are so handy and easy to use, small and with no need to change lenses or carry around any other gear, while still delivering that great Fuji color and decent enough shots for an amateur like me.

When I had my little studio, I even used the X20 there at times, with pleasing results.The X10/X20 are more capable than many imagine...and so much fun to use!

Fun with the X20!

Regards!

03-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #4238
Veteran Member

It is a 1938 Stuart Turner WD Flat Twin as used by the British Army for front line wireless sets from about 1928, there were designed to be light enough to be strapped to the side of a pack mule, one set was even taken on a expedition to Everest and was used at the base camp.
They were quite popular with the British Colony agencies so they can be found around the bizarres, there is around 15 left world wide.
Though it pains my poor suffering wife I seem to have gained quite few of these odd lumps of metal, 9 on last count all but one is finest British engineering, I have an American Intruder and well.

Not been in a studio in a long while..... college was the last time I think.... you do work that X20 well!
I love my little X10, I just convinced a mate who was just starting out it was all the camera he would need, and fitted his hipster image.....
Not looked at the X30, as I would be too tempted to change and annoy SWMBO even more, I kind of wish I waited on the X-Pro as the XT looks like all the camera I wanted but hay ho, I can carry an umbrella with the X-Pro....

Cheers, Steve
03-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #4239
Veteran Member

That is an interesting and unusual hobby. I have never really had a hobby...other than snapping off my cameras a little. I can't seem to stay interested in much long enough for it to become serious.

Those old engines have a long history, do you ever wish they could tell their tales?

Regards!
03-29-2014, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #4240
Veteran Member

Don’t think they would say much Rupert, ran something useful until electric motors took over, though they lasted longer in the states then in the UK, some places are still using such engines! Been doing since I was 5 so know no better....

Me and the man who started it all back in 1991, my Grandfather, with another American engine, a Stover sold by Sear under their Economy name. The picture was taken down The Lizard (Most southernly point in the UK) in about 1993 so I would have been about 6 or 7.

Anyway enough of my old iron, back to the Fuji’s

Cheers, Steve
03-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #4241
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rupert, your hobbies are squirrels and digital red (that's really is it, your post on that is great). Also, the X-10 is amazing, it just does it all right with minimal effort, and it fits in pretty tight places. No other camera I have nails WB complications like it does, period, and the low light option is simply amazing.

Steve those are great posts. Very interesting, and I'm for keeping it all going. As I understand it, this is a generator, right?

David
03-30-2014, 01:50 AM   #4242
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote

Steve those are great posts. Very interesting, and I'm for keeping it all going. As I understand it, this is a generator, right?

David
David - Commonly known as Stationary Engines, The 1st engine I posted was part of a generator set, the the later would have been general purpose usually on a farm for driving pumps/mills and the like.

This is the only complete generating set I have, it is a Stuart Turner P4 24v 500w generator set from about 1938, the previous owner found it in the original house about 8 miles from me, where it ran the lights for the house.

The one is in the middle of restoration at the moment, and has had all new bearings as they have gotten a bit crunchy! She is now looking a bit more presentable.

Cheers, Steve

---------- Post added 03-30-14 at 02:43 AM ----------

To keep this thread on topic I’ve created another in the general chat section.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/14-general-talk/256188-members-other-hobb...ml#post2760751

Cheers, Steve
03-30-2014, 05:37 AM   #4243
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the explanation, Steve, and the other thread you started is great. Interesting history and work!

Here's a photo I took last December of a great building in Montreal. I can't enter it in the weekly contest because it is with the X-10. I was thinking about Montreal with the Mets/Jays games there the last couple of days.

Oratoire de Saint-Joseph, high up on Mont-Royal. The interiors are from the 50's/60's I think.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X10  Photo 
03-30-2014, 09:41 AM   #4244
Veteran Member

No other camera I have nails WB complications like it does, period, and the low light option is simply amazing.
Jac---That is a fine Cathedral shot! You do make the X10 sparkle! ...and you are so right about the excellent WB. It is the best of any camera I have used...by far.
Those unfamiliar with the Pro Low Light setting don't know what they are missing! Anytime you don't want an ugly flash shot, day or night, it will get you a natural looking shot without it.
Yes, Toy Cameras are underrated......but if the new X30 is what rumors say, that rating may just go way up!

Toy Cameras...

In your jacket pocket you can go near or far
With no bulky lenses, big as a jar.

Shooting candids is pure joy
No one's afraid of a tiny toy!

Solid as a rock in your hand...
It's what Fuji Toy Camera shooters demand!

So much for Sunday morning nonsense!

Regards! Got to get lunch ready, Mrs Rupert will be in from Church soon, and she has demands too!
03-31-2014, 05:37 AM - 2 Likes   #4245
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote

I also treated myself to the Nik Collection seems OK for what it does, did have 2nd thoughts after I bought it though....
e
Beautiful shots of your baby, skank!

FWIW I do all of my processing in Nik and have for years. The trick is to ignore the presets (which are set to either give you a concept of what the filter is for, or to be very neutral) and play with levels to see what they do. Anyhoo, if you like my shots, they're representative of what Nik is capable of!

Thanks for the explanation, Steve, and the other thread you started is great. Interesting history and work!

Here's a photo I took last December of a great building in Montreal. I can't enter it in the weekly contest because it is with the X-10. I was thinking about Montreal with the Mets/Jays games there the last couple of days.

Oratoire de Saint-Joseph, high up on Mont-Royal. The interiors are from the 50's/60's I think.
Wow, lovely interior architectural shot Jaquot! Geometry & color

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Jac---That is a fine Cathedral shot! You do make the X10 sparkle! ...and you are so right about the excellent WB. It is the best of any camera I have used...by far.
Those unfamiliar with the Pro Low Light setting don't know what they are missing! Anytime you don't want an ugly flash shot, day or night, it will get you a natural looking shot without it.
Yes, Toy Cameras are underrated......but if the new X30 is what rumors say, that rating may just go way up!

Toy Cameras...

In your jacket pocket you can go near or far
With no bulky lenses, big as a jar.

Shooting candids is pure joy
No one's afraid of a tiny toy!

Solid as a rock in your hand...
It's what Fuji Toy Camera shooters demand!

So much for Sunday morning nonsense!

Regards! Got to get lunch ready, Mrs Rupert will be in from Church soon, and she has demands too!
Aaa ha ha ha ha, your poem Rupert Love it!

Some Bitterroot Mountains pics taken on a drive south of Missoula on a gray day with some nicely picturesque clouds (well, picturesque once you process 'em):