Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 750 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2014, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #4396
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Skank- You just don't see B/W photos better than those from any camera, including FF.

Regards!
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I would shoot more b&w if they turned out half that good!
High praise indeed thank you! I’m really pleased with the out of camera results of the X cameras. I’ve been trying a new in camera recipe... Highlight +1, Shadow +1, DR 400, Film Simulation B&W Green, was really pleased with the results.

I spent some time before I went out trying different combinations of setting before I found something I liked.
I was surprised by the results on the skin tone, as those in the know say B&W Green is the worst for a flattering skin tone, things might be different in portrait situations.

I only use Picasa for a little tweaking, and as much as I love my K5, K-01, and even tiny Q, I'm finding the XF1 seldom needs much if any adjustment.
Contrast and color are usually spot on for my tastes.
Even with good glass on the K5 & 01 it seems more fiddling is needed, and I don't like to fiddle.

Pulled pork is one of my fav imports from America! thought I have had a lovely plate of battered cod, chips and chip shop curry sauce!

How do you find the Q, seen the original Q advertised for about £100 ($168) with the prime lens.

Thats one reason I left Pentax ended up having to shoot in RAW to get what I wanted from my photos, with the Fuji I can get 90% of what I like in the camera.
Just wish I didn’t have GAS.....

Cheers, Steve

---------- Post added 05-25-14 at 10:57 AM ----------

Last few.....

I think that is about it from that set of photos, there is a few I want to play with due to difficult lighting.

I wonder if Fuji will do a Leica and create a Monochrome only camera.... would be perfect for me

Cheers, Steve

Last edited by skankin_giant; 05-25-2014 at 11:00 AM.
05-25-2014, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #4397
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Again, just more B/W excellence Skank! Very enjoyable shots, love seeing them!

Contrast and color are usually spot on for my tastes.
Even with good glass on the K5 & 01 it seems more fiddling is needed, and I don't like to fiddle.
Fine shots from such a tiny Toy Camera! I agree 100%, the Fuji Jpegs are hard to beat, and very little processing is required in almost every situation. WB and color are better than Pentax or anything else I have seen, Fuji just nails it! You don't have to spend all that time making adjustments and guessing what will work.....with Fuji, you just shoot and enjoy!

X20
No! No! No!

Oh! It's just a Toy Camera...go right ahead!

Toy Cameras .......gotta love 'em!

Regards!
05-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #4398
Veteran Member

Sorry me again.... just a demo of the EXR sensored X10 with the same settings as my X-Pro, It’s been a while since I’ve used the X10 and the noise surprised me at 1600 ISO, forgot it’s limitations (the IR photos were 2000-2500) on the X-Pro), didn’t quite nail the focus, plus doubt know who the handsome chap is.....

Cheers, Steve

---------- Post added 05-25-14 at 12:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Again, just more B/W excellence Skank! Very enjoyable shots, love seeing them!

Fine shots from such a tiny Toy Camera! I agree 100%, the Fuji Jpegs are hard to beat, and very little processing is required in almost every situation. WB and color are better than Pentax or anything else I have seen, Fuji just nails it! You don't have to spend all that time making adjustments and guessing what will work.....with Fuji, you just shoot and enjoy!

X20
No! No! No!

Oh! It's just a Toy Camera...go right ahead!

Toy Cameras .......gotta love 'em!

Regards!
Ha, love it, what are your settings at Rupert?

Cheers, Steve
05-25-2014, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #4399
Veteran Member

I had it set on Pro Low Light...which explains the blur in the first one, it didn't have a chance to focus in the movement. I use Pro Low Light a lot because it gets good shots in almost any light, but you must have a pretty still subject.

I still think the EXR sensor is the best...better than the X20. Better DR and better color. Tests show I am wrong, but I know what my eyes tell me.

The X20 does "fair" B/W...nothing like your X-Pro though!

Regards!

05-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #4400
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SG we all have gas, i was good for maybe 2 weeks then all the new cameras started to come out BUT i find when i just get out and shoot....i don't think at all about "new, better, best", i have what i need to shoot and i should just go out and shoot....

this is how i use the fuji mostly quick panos, most of my grab shots still happen on a DSLR
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X-Pro1  Photo 

Last edited by Clicker; 05-25-2014 at 06:53 PM.
05-26-2014, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #4401
Veteran Member

I took my XF1 with me this morning to visit my best friend and his comrades at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery.
He was truly my brother from another mother.

05-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #4402
Veteran Member

robtcorl Thank you for the tribute on this day of remembrance. I find it hard to grasp the ground between gratitude and deep sadness for those that sacrificed everything. We should all commit to preventing more without an absolute and transparent need for the sake of the nation.

This afternoon I intend to go way out in the country to a small graveyard where one Viet Veteran lies alone among the early settlers of the area. I go there every year on Memorial Day....when I can......and pay tribute. He was young, he was brave, but I know nothing more about him, just that he fought and died...and I stand above him looking down...and wonder "Why?"

Regards!

05-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #4403
Veteran Member

I took my XF1 with me this morning to visit my best friend and his comrades at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery.
He was truly my brother from another mother.
Very overwhelmed by your respect and patriotism! As a fellow Servicemen (Royal Air Force) It is really great to see such respect of a fallen comrade. Sadly something that the general public over here in the UK don’t take so seriously. Plus he must have been a tip top bloke being a Williams....

My Grandmother had a cousin killed in the 2nd World War, 3 of my grandmothers uncles moved to America to work in the mines (and form a Band...) and one of their sons was called up to fight in the America army, before going to France he stopped over in England quite close to Cornwall and paid a surprise visit to his Aunt May (my great grandmother) and my grandmother, sadly he never returned. Really need her to write the family history down....

Cheers, Steve
05-26-2014, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #4404
Veteran Member

Managed to get out there at this old cemetery in the country again this year.

I didn't know this young man, he is in an ancient cemetery but must have relatives there somewhere? Only 22, and I always have the same questions...how, why, what dreams were lost forever? He was near my age....it could have been me.....that thought always comes too. Makes you do a lot of reflection back on your own life.....

Went on down the road where my Great Great Grandad is buried....He survived the Civil War and was buried here years later.

He is the only Union soldier in this little cemetery.....

Back in town where they have a flag tribute to all that have served from this county.

Good to remember, also to remember those still serving and in harms way this day.

Regards!
05-27-2014, 06:38 AM   #4405
Veteran Member

Getting better using an adapted lens:

20140526 - 001
05-27-2014, 07:23 AM   #4406
Veteran Member

Nice colorful shot Pop!

Rupert,
Nice post and photos.
1st Lt Yates was born the month after me, same year.
At 18 I was drafted during the Vietnam War, but was deferred due to my dad being blind, and somewhat dependent upon me.
Dad had no eyesight, but was never handicapped, he worked to provide for the family, loved to fish, did woodworking, etc etc.

Had it not been for the deferment, that could very easily be me beneath a cold slab of stone.
God bless those who are serving, those who have served, and all of their families.

Another one from Monday:

Last edited by robtcorl; 05-27-2014 at 07:31 AM.
05-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #4407
Veteran Member

Had it not been for the deferment, that could very easily be me beneath a cold slab of stone.
In '69 the economy was so bad in my area that I checked out enlisting in the Army. With a wife and two little kids, they rejected me at once.....and I am forever grateful they did. As you know, I have broken one ankle and one foot and now have some difficulty in getting around well....but one of my best friends came back from Vietnam with no feet...you won't hear me complaining of my situation compared to his.
What he suffered over there is a misery that can't easily be told......and he is just one of thousands with such stories. They did what they were asked to do...God bless them, because we will never be able to pay them enough respect for their service in our place.

Regards
05-28-2014, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #4408
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amen Rupert.

Here's a photo from our weekend jaunt up north. X10 of course... Lovely day.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X10  Photo 
05-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #4409
Veteran Member

On this day at Ginza, there were these people handing out this paper which i did not take but just wanted to take some photos, i politely refused but in hind sight i should have taken one because it still bothers me out of pure curiosity....what was going on

I know there are some people here who read are in japan and i am just wondering if they know WTH was going on at Ginza on this day...Thursday May 15th 2014. I could find no mention of it in the English papers there? It seem to be getting a lot of coverage as there were quite a few media and also quite a few people distributing the papers.
*heh* note the eyes of the photojournalist

X-100
Attached Images

05-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #4410
Veteran Member

A bit slow to the party, but..... courtesy of e-bay I am now the proud owner of a Fufi X20 - purchased because I am going to Prague next month via Easy Jet, so the k5 plus a bucket load of lenses will have to stay home to save weight and space, p;us my wife and daughter don't take kindly to hanging around whilst I swop lenses etc...
Been playing with the wee beastie, and I must say I am impressed, lovely build quality and the JPEGS are fantabuloso! As a RAW shooter on Pentax, the quality of the Fuji JPEGS is fnatastic, and a bit of in camera RAW development has left a smile on my face to!

Here are three from today, via my FlickR account...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/14327642743/in/photostream

https://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/14120924397/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/14120794968/in/photostream/