Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 750 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #4681
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Skank....Well, I sort of got it right! Anyhow, you have to admit I did nail the "Scary Rupert"!!

Mr Bassie.....It is a testament to your skill and the X30 to have to check the Exif to see if those were from the X-Pro or the X30. People should never underestimate the power or value of a Toy Camera!

Regards!

11-18-2014, 06:43 AM   #4682

Photos: Albums
got some snow last night...

11-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #4683
Veteran Member

A question for y'all! I'm noticing an interesting aspect of the automatic WB in my X-E1 - on these bright snow reflective days, it's too cool. I end up bumping up the yellow in all the finished shots. I think I'm going to have to set it to shoot in 'cloudy' mode & see if that compensates. Anyone else running into this?

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Lovely shot Mr. Bassie - striking simple composition.

QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
[...]
And some I put through the NIK collection.

A happy bobby. Funny old thing the guy standing behind me was using a X-Pro 1 as well, he opted for the 18mm while I was using the 35mm.
[...]

Cheers, Steve
Oh man, Silver Efex can do no wrong - especially in your hands Steve It's such a specific look and always draws my eye. Ha - I've run into only *one* other Fuji shooter - and weirdly we were both stopping to shoot the same street musician. Totally random. He about grabbed my shoulder going, "IS THAT AN X100? ME TOO!" It's a small club

The Clark Fork river, frozen over. Love how the processing came out on this one (Analog, Nik) - the blues and golden grasses. It took 20 minutes in Nik to get the crisp definition & rich colors I wanted without going into 'Velvia ow!' territory (I like Velvia a lot of times, but it can make things too candy colored!)....and then Analog just took all that color tweaking and made it timeless. Worth all the effort!

The Higgins St. bridge with it's lacy-looking snow flake decorations. There was such interesting *light* yesterday - it wasn't misty or foggy...it was a glow on the mountains. Added to the geometry of the railings and power lines, I really like how this pic came out in monochrome (Silver Efex - a rare use of just a preset ).

11-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #4684
Veteran Member

Ecaterin Thanks, I am a convert to Silver Efex makes love very easy. Great shots from you also.

Has anyone seen the info on the firmware that is due out in Dec, looks like the X-Pro, XE-1 and XM-1 misses out on the addition of Classic Chrome! Very disapointed as it is something I want to try out.
No news on the X100/100S as of yet.

Cheers, Steve

11-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #4685
NKK
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
got some snow last night...
Uh.. looking forward to the snow. Not seen anything yet

Great Pictures everyone.
11-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #4686
Veteran Member

Ecaterin Thanks, I am a convert to Silver Efex makes love very easy. Great shots from you also.

Has anyone seen the info on the firmware that is due out in Dec, looks like the X-Pro, XE-1 and XM-1 misses out on the addition of Classic Chrome! Very disapointed as it is something I want to try out.
No news on the X100/100S as of yet.

Cheers, Steve
I hadn't heard anything about this, so I went looking and this was the article that came up - very funny! But if we're (the cameras you mention) missing out on the firmware update I will be very cranky, because it sounds like another excellent film setting.
11-22-2014, 10:20 AM   #4687
Veteran Member

Well, according to this page on Fuji's website, my X-E1 won't get the Classic Chrome update. Neither will the X-Pro-1. According to this page, the X-T1 does get Classic Chrome.

The X-E2 also gets interval shooting and that I'm REALLY cranky about, because I love interval shooting and actually went back to Pentax for almost a year just to have it.

It seems really unlikely to me that it's 'not possible' to give all the camera bodies least the upgrade of Classic Chrome which is simply a color algorithm and thus uses the same mechanism as Provia, Velvia & all the other standards. It's un-generous of them to leave out our older camera bodies - Giving your older tech the updates that are *possible* pays off in user loyalty in the long run.

Grrr.

Anyone got different information? I'd love to hear that I've misread this stuff or missed announcements and gotten this allll wrong!

11-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #4688
Veteran Member

Ec.......Thanks for that link, it was excellent and has a great description of Classic Chrome. All you really have to do is look at the shots Mr Bassie has posted from his X30 shot in Classic Chrome to know it is an amazing setting to have on your Fuji!

I am back again toying with the idea of the X-T1 since Fuji is going to have some long glass soon. If they do come out with a 400 Zoom, it would be enough for me to consider....what handsome devils squirrels would be shot in Classic Chrome!

Regards!
11-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #4689
Veteran Member

LOL Rupert! I'm sure those rascals would look fabulous in Chrome

After I posted I got to pondering about the intervalometer issue with the X-E1, and so I went looking to see if anyone had better 3rd party tech than the last time I wanted this feature a few years ago. Sure enough! Triggertrap has a set-up made for Fuji, the reviews are really good, the price is very reasonable (about $35 USD), so I purchased one. I'll let you guys know how it works for me

Anyone else using a Triggertrap set up? I'm very excited! I use time lapse to photograph holiday dinners, Christmas present opening - any event I'd like to have candids of, but want to participate in without waving the camera around. When I get *really* cornball, I create a timelapse movie with music and send it to relatives
11-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #4690
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ecaterin Quote
LOL Rupert! I'm sure those rascals would look fabulous in Chrome

After I posted I got to pondering about the intervalometer issue with the X-E1, and so I went looking to see if anyone had better 3rd party tech than the last time I wanted this feature a few years ago. Sure enough! Triggertrap has a set-up made for Fuji, the reviews are really good, the price is very reasonable (about $35 USD), so I purchased one. I'll let you guys know how it works for me

Anyone else using a Triggertrap set up? I'm very excited! I use time lapse to photograph holiday dinners, Christmas present opening - any event I'd like to have candids of, but want to participate in without waving the camera around. When I get *really* cornball, I create a timelapse movie with music and send it to relatives

I looked at it but thats as far as I got.

I'm a bit gutted that Classic Chrome isnt coming to the older models, but I suppose they dont owe us it, would just be nice I suppose.

Do I want the X-T1 im not too sure, the X-Pro was a big outlay for me and spending the near the same on a body so quickly isnt sitting right with me, I might see what the X-Pro 2 might bring to the table.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited by skankin_giant; 11-23-2014 at 10:56 AM.
11-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #4691
Veteran Member

Do I want the X-T1 im not too sure, the X-Pro was a big outlay for me and spending the near the same on a body so quickly isnt sitting right with me, I might see what the X-Pro 2 might bring to the table.
Yeah, I have to remind myself quite often that I am a Toy Camera shooter. For you the X-T1 might make sense, but probably not much since you have the X-Pro already. Before I discovered I was a Toy Camera shooter I had invested several years and a ton of cash in equipment I no longer use. For some like you, there is value in high end equipment, but for me it is mostly a waste of money.

Regards!
11-24-2014, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #4692
Veteran Member

I looked at it but thats as far as I got.

I'm a bit gutted that Classic Chrome isnt coming to the older models, but I suppose they dont owe us it, would just be nice I suppose.

Cheers, Steve
uuuuugh! Before these posts I hadn't gone and looked at the X-T1. Now I wish I hadn't. What a beauty!

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Yeah, I have to remind myself quite often that I am a Toy Camera shooter. For you the X-T1 might make sense, but probably not much since you have the X-Pro already. Before I discovered I was a Toy Camera shooter I had invested several years and a ton of cash in equipment I no longer use. For some like you, there is value in high end equipment, but for me it is mostly a waste of money.

Regards!
LOL! Knowing what gear you'll love and carry everywhere and shoot every day, that's a gift So many people have gorgeous gear that they can't fit into their actual LIFE - what good is it to them? I still miss my X100 - it was really the perfect size for me. I really should get a pancake for my X-E1 to recapture that form factor as closely as I can

Took about 20 minutes to balance exposure and color - these bright snow/dark landscape/bright clouds shots are pretty tough to balance for exposure and color all at the same time. I've set the WB to 'cloudy' to deal with the tendency of the Fuji to tilt these bright snow-field shots too far into blue, and that's working perfectly. We're getting such great light right now - the low slant of the sun combined with snow reflection! It's challenging for the camera though

Last edited by Ecaterin; 11-24-2014 at 11:53 PM.
11-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #4693
Veteran Member

That's a really nice shot Ec. Can't say I would enjoy the cold weather there, but it is very scenic.You balanced out the exposure nicely.
Regards
11-25-2014, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #4694
Veteran Member

LOL! Why thank you, Rupert! My hard work acknowledged!

Our favorite coffee shop changed locations to this cool industrial building. My favorite shot of the morning, pp=unsharp mask, Silver Efex with black point way to the right, bump in structure, then Color Efex color stylizer. I do a lot of my mono with this workflow.

11-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #4695
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ecaterin Quote
LOL! Why thank you, Rupert! My hard work acknowledged!

Our favorite coffee shop changed locations to this cool industrial building. My favorite shot of the morning, pp=unsharp mask, Silver Efex with black point way to the right, bump in structure, then Color Efex color stylizer. I do a lot of my mono with this workflow.
Interesting - I never thought of following Silver Efex with Color Efex... I'm going to have to try that!

(Very nice shot, by the way)