Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2015, 06:26 PM - 3 Likes   #4861
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I little autumn action with the X10, one of my favorite Japanese maples for fall color...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X10  Photo 
01-02-2016, 05:35 AM   #4862
Veteran Member

Happy New Year Fuji users. Been having a play with a few self portraits.

Cheers, Steve
01-02-2016, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #4863
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
Happy New Year Fuji users. Been having a play with a few self portraits.

Cheers, Steve
Nice. I like the focus in that first one. Good to see you! And Happy New Year.
01-13-2016, 05:00 AM - 3 Likes   #4864
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow has it been a long time since I posted I went through one of those 'photography doldrums' periods, but lately I've been taking a lot of photos of Brazilian jiu jitsu training and boy does the Fuji X-E1 & 35/1.4 combo do these photos justice!

Anyone who knows Fuji knows that these cameras are not designed for rapid focus sports photography. Since I must shoot at 1.4 both for iso value and subject isolation, I use really careful focus/recompose technique often setting up the focus and then holding the shutter button at half depression waiting for the exact moment when the action will be photo-worthy - but staying aware of when movement toward or away will necessitate refocusing. I'm getting pretty damn good at this approach after six months of photographing jiu jitsu and I'm definitely getting shots I would not capture were I using a more sports-friendly camera. The shots have some really unique quality that people remark on all the time - though I'm not sure how to define what that is exactly. (I've written a bunch more about settings & tech stuff on the blog, for anyone interested in duplicating this kind of shooting with the X-E1/2 etc.)

Here are some of my favorite shots - enjoy

some action shots:

a bit slower or even portrait-style shots:

01-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #4865
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ecaterin Quote
Wow has it been a long time since I posted I went through one of those 'photography doldrums' periods, but lately I've been taking a lot of photos of Brazilian jiu jitsu training and boy does the Fuji X-E1 & 35/1.4 combo do these photos justice!

Anyone who knows Fuji knows that these cameras are not designed for rapid focus sports photography. Since I must shoot at 1.4 both for iso value and subject isolation, I use really careful focus/recompose technique often setting up the focus and then holding the shutter button at half depression waiting for the exact moment when the action will be photo-worthy - but staying aware of when movement toward or away will necessitate refocusing. I'm getting pretty damn good at this approach after six months of photographing jiu jitsu and I'm definitely getting shots I would not capture were I using a more sports-friendly camera. The shots have some really unique quality that people remark on all the time - though I'm not sure how to define what that is exactly. (I've written a bunch more about settings & tech stuff on the blog, for anyone interested in duplicating this kind of shooting with the X-E1/2 etc.)

Here are some of my favorite shots - enjoy

some action shots:

a bit slower or even portrait-style shots:

Great captures, and with the Fuji that is something. I like them! I will also look at your Blog. The first one is amazing, like a Netsuki. There is the action in these, and the thought. Both are worth capturing, and in the practice should be one. Very nice, keep at it!
01-16-2016, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #4866
Veteran Member

Hello. Nice photos in here. Here is my first post to this thread. Fuji x10, messing around at the library this morning.

01-16-2016, 11:46 AM - 2 Likes   #4867
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NIce shots Tina! This is my first post here as well, having just acquired an X10 recently:

01-16-2016, 11:55 AM   #4868
Veteran Member

Thanks Paul. Yours are nice too. I wouldn't have thought about getting the shadows from the blinds.
01-16-2016, 12:02 PM - 2 Likes   #4869
Veteran Member

A bit of cross posting from my Fuji X30

Had a spare few min today while the wife was giving blood so took some photos of the locals mines works around Dolcoath and South Crofty.

Cornish Boiler in the foreground these were 1st used in Dolcoath mines

]

South Crofty

Not worked in B&W for a few days.... really enjoyed it!

Cheers, Steve
01-17-2016, 04:07 AM - 2 Likes   #4870
Veteran Member

Bought my wife a 2nd hand XM-1 as something for her to play with, she keeps mentioning she would like to try some photography but would never part with her money! We bought it body only so she can use my lenses.... when I'm not using them.... but will pick her up a 16-50mm when one comes around at a decent price! I had a little play with my 18mm and 35mm.

I like the way the inbuilt flash can be bounced if needed, but I was a bit disappointed it didn't have all the film sims, I would have thought the more consumer version would have had all the film sims, O'well it should be good for her to play about with!

Cheers, Steve
01-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #4871
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
Bought my wife a 2nd hand XM-1 as something for her to play with, she keeps mentioning she would like to try some photography but would never part with her money! We bought it body only so she can use my lenses.... when I'm not using them.... but will pick her up a 16-50mm when one comes around at a decent price! I had a little play with my 18mm and 35mm.

I like the way the inbuilt flash can be bounced if needed, but I was a bit disappointed it didn't have all the film sims, I would have thought the more consumer version would have had all the film sims, O'well it should be good for her to play about with!

Cheers, Steve
Sadly, the x-trans 1 sensor didn't get them (X-e1 the same). I'd take a peek for an 18-55mm now, the are cheap as chips. Plenty of fun to be had.

Last edited by Clarkey; 01-17-2016 at 08:47 PM. Reason: auto correct not right.
01-18-2016, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #4872
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Sadly, the x-trans 1 sensor didn't get them (X-e1 the same). I'd take a peek for an 18-55mm now, the are cheap as chips. Plenty of fun to be had.
X-M1 has the X-Trans 2 sensor afaik, I just think they left out the extended range of films sims on the "cheaper" model, still the same basic sensor as my X-Pro...

Yea will have a look about, the cheapest 16-50 I can see is about £110, the 18-55 are still a bit dear, they are still £200 over here.... but seeing as we can both use it...

Cheers, Steve
01-18-2016, 06:56 AM   #4873
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
NIce shots Tina! This is my first post here as well, having just acquired an X10 recently:

Particularly like the shot of the blinds' shadow. Nice!
01-18-2016, 06:12 PM   #4874
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KDAFA Quote
Particularly like the shot of the blinds' shadow. Nice!
Thanks - it was a lucky moment!
01-24-2016, 02:02 AM - 2 Likes   #4875
Veteran Member

Well bought a 16-50mm for the wife via eBay, it's the Mk1 version I didn't even realise there was a Mk2! Oh well... got it a bit cheaper the major retailers wanted.

In the mean time we took a walk down the local beach, and I decide to use my longer lenses on my X-Pro for a change. 60mm and 55-200mm.

The pooch like to be off the lead!

The kids always enjoy it!

Trying to be arty....

Some mine ruins.

Was getting dark time we were on the way back to the car.

We all enjoyed a lovely evening walk.

I do like my X-Pro but can't see myself upgrading to the X-Pro 2 anytime soon, too much money atm especially with the 1 only making around £200.... Maybe with a lottery win...

Cheers, Steve