Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-27-2011, 04:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Fuji on a roll - new X-S1

Very interesting.

What I like:

- 2/3" EXR sensor from the X10
- 24-624mm equiv lens
- 1248mm equiv (!!!) using optical EDIT: DIGITAL zoom the Fuji claims doesn't degrade the image
- Lens starts at F2.8
- 1cm macro
- 9 blades
- OIS
- Tiltable LCD

What I don't like:

- Weighs nigh on a kilo!

I've seen that it'll cost around GBP700 in the UK. If it's US$700 in the states, then it'll be quite tempting for the versatility alone considering how easy it is to drop more than that on a single lens.

Last edited by Unsinkable II; 11-28-2011 at 05:09 AM.
11-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice! After playing around with the x10 a bit, I want to say that a better sensor would be welcome, but with such a nice lens on there, you really can't complain

I take it you meant digital zoom for the 1248mm setting? Because of the way the sensor is designed that should still look good at 6MP.
11-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Banned

I have not seen a 2x tele converter that did not degrade the image somewhat.

11-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A bridge camera with a slightly bigger sensor.

I'm sure it's pretty good and all, but $700 for that is kind of ludicrous.

I have an old Pentax Optio SVi that has a f2.8 - f4.9 lens circa 2006. Now if they had a continuous f2.8 throughout the zoom range, it might have been worth a look.

It's odd how they came out with the x100, which is a truly great design then moved down to the x10 that takes out the best bits... then this bridge camera that takes even more away.

11-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
Banned

The lens would have to be much larger for constant F2.8 24-624mm equivalent.
11-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Nice! After playing around with the x10 a bit, I want to say that a better sensor would be welcome, but with such a nice lens on there, you really can't complain

I take it you meant digital zoom for the 1248mm setting? Because of the way the sensor is designed that should still look good at 6MP.
Oops! Sorry. I did indeed mean digital zoom. Cheers!
11-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Fuji is definitely on to something. I had to send my X100 in for repair. First let me say, it was the best service call I've ever made. They are replacing the lens unit and Fedexing it back to me so the I only had to go without the camera for 5 days. The service here in the US is great. Extremely responsive and professional.

Anyway, I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with the technician (great guy). He told they will have two interchangeable mirrorless systems in the next 12-18 months and that they will definitely amazing. New sensor, new top end fixed lenses, and new hybrid viewfinder. One will definitely be released early 2012. They won't be cheap. He said they expect them to be bigger hits than the X100 or X10.

Fuji is definitely a company to watch.

11-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

What was wrong with your lens stanleyk?

You have me worried
11-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
What was wrong with your lens stanleyk?

You have me worried
Some of them have had problems with the aperture blades sticking when you are Aperture Priority. They are aware of the problem and will fix it pronto and Fedex back you. No questions asked. They were fantastic to deal with. They replace the entire lens assembly.

You can read about it here:

X100 Sticky Aperture - Fuji X Series Photography Forum - Fujifilm X100 - Fujifilm X10

This is a response from a UK user. My experience was the same. Top notch customer service. They've won a customer for a long time.

"Took mine to UK dealer where purchased on 8 November and he despatched to Fuji next day - arrived back with him today 16 November with new 'lens' and full test. Can't complain about the service just hope it's a proper fix. BTW I had taken about 2,300 shots and serial No was 12N... "

If you have the camera and are having trouble shoot me an email. I'll get you the name and phone number of the guy with Fuji in New Jersey. He's very good to deal with.
11-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Anyway, I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with the technician (great guy). He told they will have two interchangeable mirrorless systems in the next 12-18 months and that they will definitely amazing. New sensor, new top end fixed lenses, and new hybrid viewfinder. One will definitely be released early 2012. They won't be cheap. He said they expect them to be bigger hits than the X100 or X10.
So, now we have, or will soon have...

1 - Micro Four Thirds
2 - Sony NEX
3 - Samsung NX
4 - Pentax Q
5 - Ricoh GXR
6 - Nikon 1
7 - Strongly rumoured Leica mirrorless
8 - Strongly rumoured Pentax APS mirrorless
9 - Strongly rumoured Fuji mirrorless #1
10 - Rumoured Fuji mirrorless #2
11 - Rumoured Canon mirrorless

Add the existing interchangeable APS and FF dSLR mounts:
12 - Canon
13 - Nikon
14 - Pentax
15 - Sony
16 - Sigma
17 - Four Thirds (sort of)

Considering that the market was struggling to support more than the Big Three dSLR systems (Canon, Nikon and Sony), I'm not sure who they think is going to support seventeen consumer-based (as opposed to the Medium Format systems) interchangeable lens systems...
11-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I think cameras should be ranked using some sort of sensor size to camera body ratio, the the bigger the sensor, the smaller the body, the higher the score. It would sure beat having to read long reviews and forum threads to work out if a camera is any good.

This camera would be a fail. Olympus E-5 another fail. K-5 a win. Fuji X100 a big win.

Easy!
11-27-2011, 11:24 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I think cameras should be ranked using some sort of sensor size to camera body ratio, the the bigger the sensor, the smaller the body, the higher the score. It would sure beat having to read long reviews and forum threads to work out if a camera is any good.
Was that an ironic comment or are you seriously saying that the ratio of body size to sensor size is the determining factor of a camera being 'any good'?
11-28-2011, 02:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote

This camera would be a fail. Olympus E-5 another fail. K-5 a win. Fuji X100 a big win.

Easy!
Hilarious. But true.
The question can I comfortably handle the load becomes more and more important to me. Yeah, why not.
11-28-2011, 04:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
So, now we have, or will soon have...

1 - Micro Four Thirds
2 - Sony NEX
3 - Samsung NX
4 - Pentax Q
5 - Ricoh GXR
6 - Nikon 1
7 - Strongly rumoured Leica mirrorless
8 - Strongly rumoured Pentax APS mirrorless
9 - Strongly rumoured Fuji mirrorless #1
10 - Rumoured Fuji mirrorless #2
11 - Rumoured Canon mirrorless

Add the existing interchangeable APS and FF dSLR mounts:
12 - Canon
13 - Nikon
14 - Pentax
15 - Sony
16 - Sigma
17 - Four Thirds (sort of)

Considering that the market was struggling to support more than the Big Three dSLR systems (Canon, Nikon and Sony), I'm not sure who they think is going to support seventeen consumer-based (as opposed to the Medium Format systems) interchangeable lens systems...
Good point. Somebody is probably going to lose. I wouldn't be on it being Fuji. But I'm not sure they are trying to be Canon or Nikon. I will say having recently acquired a Nikon I'm really impressed. I'm in the process of switching over and selling off some lenses to get other ones. I'm going to try to shoot only AI lenses for a year or so just for fun. I love the process of manual focusing. I had forgotten how easy it was with a good viewfinder. That Nikon is one good camera. Silly as it sounds I'm going to stick with Nikon, Fuji, and the GXR. Those are the cameras I have been happiest with. I'm 28-85mm shooter/non zoom shooter so they work for me. The one thing with Nikon I've been really impressed with is the build quality on their lenses. I do almost all my photography with 3 large dogs in tow. The more metal the better. The GXR for anyone who is interested is equally as rugged. With the GXR + Fuji I have my compact covered. Really the three cameras + 2 lens modules fit in a very small bag and don't weigh much.

On the Fuji interchangeable, I'm thinking they are going to do a digital equivalent of the Voigtlander Bessa. A Leica like rangefinder for those of us who can't afford Leica. I just really like that style. I had an M3 that I bought used and very cheap at Pawn Shop no less before I gave up shooting film. For me the rangefinder is the perfect fit. But I'm probably a REALLY big exception on that.

So if that's the case with Fuji, they have at least one customer.
11-28-2011, 04:48 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

impressive - from my experience Fujinon lenses are typically first rate in terms of image quality and aberration control. In my early years with digital I used to use a Fuji S7000 - noisiest sensor I have ever worked with but the lens was pretty decent, and it was great for IR work.