Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fuji x10 - After three weeks......

After three weeks of hardly putting the x10 down for a rest, I wanted to do a short report on my evaluation to date. Keep in mind that I am strictly an amateur, not looking to win any awards or create any masterpieces (It would be nice!) but just to have a small tool to carry with me everywhere I go, change no lenses, and shoot fast and often. In this regard the x10 shines like the Texas sun....and in that bright Texas sun, that little optical viewfinder has proven invaluable! I hear complaints it has no information in it....so? With the x10, if you can see your subject in the viewfinder, and you surely can in any light, then in EXR Auto, you will get the shot almost every time.

For more Advanced shooting, it has all the dials and setting you could ever need, and rivals my K5 in its options....even surpasses it in many instances. The ability to control the camera is very good, you will not run out of options in any environment. Learning the settings and options requires some visits to x10 Forums, since the Fuji manual is extremely lacking in intelligent information as to what does what.....but that seems common in most Mfg manuals?

Image Quality.......The x10 produces some very nice IQ in comparison to its rivals, and I have no complaints, most failures I have experienced are due to my own faults, not the x10. If you are qualified, the x10 will deliver to the expectations of most shooters, I do believe. I will say that after having roamed many "Small Camera" sites, there are a lot of very fine small cameras out there, and almost all of them seem to be very capable, and the x10 is neither better or worse than the others I have seen.

Usability.......This is where the x10 shines for me, it is ready to shoot at an instants notice, and is small enough to carry in a jacket pocket, yet large enough to be comfortable in your hands, with a nice placement of dials and buttons. The small size does not startle anyone, and candid shooting is a breeze. Even the Squirrels pay it little attention! There is not much not to like about its feel in your hands, it is rock solid and although not heavy in the least, has a certain solidness that is undeniable with no trace of a "plastic camera". The quality of construction makes it hard to put it down...it just draws you to it. Chances are, you will find it in your hands more often than not..........Do not put it on the pillow next to you and ask your wife or girlfriend to sleep in the guest room or on the sofa.....I can tell you, this might result in the destruction of your x10.....or worse!

Dislikes......I have tried to think of some dislikes, but like my K5, it is very difficult to find anything of significance. There are some quirks I have run across, but usually find it is due to my lack of understanding of the operations...that manual is of little or no help in many cases. Perhaps a larger sensor would be a benefit, but for what the x10 excels at, and for most prints and the internet postings, it is plenty adequate.
There are complaints over at DPR about the "ORBS", and outrage abounds, but for my usage this has not been a problem at all, and Fuji says it has a Firmware update coming for this problem. I doubt it will satisfy the naysayers, but nothing satisfies them anyhow...on any Forum with any camera. For me, it has not been even a slight problem.

Conclusion....I love this little camera.....in case you missed it! Maybe I would love another if that was what I owned, hard to say, but not hard to say I love the x10. It has brought new shooting joy to me, and in a small package that is portable and easy to use, with the features I have come to expect from my K5 and previous Pentax fine cameras. If I had to limit my approval to a few items that make it right for me, it would be...

*Size and build quality..... Perfect size, and excellent build, that makes you feel great just to hold it.

*Optical viewfinder....Nothing fancy, but it works beautifully in any light.

*Zoom lens.......28-114 will catch most of what you shoot with a small camera. The manual zoom is firm and steady, smooth as glass an so very handy for those times you need to be just a little closer. No lens changing is a big plus for me....and an added bonus is that it prevents LBA!

*IQ and Advanced options.....The IQ I have seen from more qualified shooters is very nice indeed, under almost any circumstances, and the options to control your results is almost unlimited. Pro Low Light and other such settings make a tripod unnecessary even at night, and the full range of modes on the dial give you total control....even high speed flash sync in daylight.

Am I biased? Of course, but this is 100% honest opinion. If there was something to hide, it wouldn't be me to hide it.

Regards
Rupert

Any questions? I will try to answer them the best I can. There is still a lot for me to learn, the x10 is loaded with features I have yet to explore.

As I sat at my desk, x10 at hand, I shot this Bandit Squirrel outside my office window robbing the Woodpecker food. I used the 2x digital zoom at 114 mm.....I know, digital zoom is a No-No....but if you need the extra reach for the shot, it will get you there. Ugly bokeh, but the Squirrel is still handsome!

[IMG] [/IMG]

12-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks, Rupert.

I've been following your other posts on the X10 with some interest, as it seems like a good second camera, so your conclusions here aren't a big surprise, but good to have in the one place. Can't say I'd call the OOF effects in the photo "ugly" (although "ugly but interesting" can be re-interpreted as "cute", in some circumstances) but they are unusual for a non-mirror lens - are they the result of the digital zoom being applied?

Cheers
Rob
12-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the review. I think Fuji is brave to give us this camera, a bravery more companies should show. Had it just been with interchangeable lenses I might have been very tempted. But I would sure like to try one out for a while.

Odd, bokeh. Almost looks like you had used a mirror lens.
12-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, the bokeh is strange and I suspect a result of the Digital Zoom being applied. I wouldn't use the DZ often, but in a pinch it is handy to have available.
Here are a couple more and better examples of the DZ at 2X 114mm...

This one shot through double pane window glass...
[IMG] [/IMG]

This one shot outside.....
[IMG] [/IMG]

I don't think anyone buys a camera for the Digital Zoom...but it doesn't hurt that it is there in a bind.

Rob, I appreciate your interest, it has been a fun experience for me so far!

Douglas, be very careful, if you get one in your hands, they become very addictive in a hurry! Interchangeable lenses...I covered my reasoning, but if Fuji does indeed come out with a FF camera or equivalent in a x100 style mirrorless body this Spring, as anticipated?.....I might just have to have one!

Best Regards!

12-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My wife went to church this morning.

Thanks to my years ago having received online ordination as a minister of the Universal Life Church, I was prepared to understand the spiritual importance of the event and interpret it correctly: God was telling me to go to the store and buy an X10. In unquestioning obedience to the Almighty, I followed His command.

I got the only one they had in the store (except the demo model), snagged up the hood and an LCD protector, and got the only NP50 battery they had in the store.

Rupert, I find that the X10 is almost exactly the same size as my early 70s Konica C35 rangefinder. It will fit very nicely in a little belt pouch I bought to fit the Konica.

Douglas....Rupert isn't joking. If you pick one up and play with it you're going to end up getting one.
12-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Congratulations Mike, you are in for a thrill, no doubt about it. The only problem is that this damn camera is so addictive.....and no, I wasn't kidding at all!
If there is one thing I hate it is cold weather...with a passion...I'm a 100F +kind of guy, always have been, but tonight I was out walking on the Square downtown in the very chilly night air snapping away with the x10. It just called me to do it, and I didn't resist!

You can see my shots from tonight here...... Flickr: Small Camera Heaven and I hope you will come over and join in the Small Camera conversation. I would very much like to get some tips and help from more experienced shooters and learn all I can.....any brand is welcome..... post photos, share your thoughts!

Regards & again, congratulations on the x10 purchase!
Rupert

BTW- God did not inspire me to buy the x10...but He did advise me to never try replacing Mrs Rupert's spot on the bed with my x10 again! You've heard of the "Fear of God"........Mrs Rupert can demonstrate it with perfection!
12-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #7

Hello all X10 fans, I'm just a new member to the club

What accessories for the X10 would you recommend?

12-10-2011, 11:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Rupert, I have confirmed perfect flash synch up to 1/4000 with my Pentax AF200T on the hotshoe. Off-camera with my Flash Waves I have gotten it to work up to 1/1000 and a couple of times at 1/1500. I don't get consistent firing from the Flash Waves in this setup and it could be either tired batteries or maybe just that the system was never designed to work at speeds anything near that.
12-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I bought one for my wife and she was very happy with it. She has been using Olympus 410 for ages, it's a 4MP metal bodied camera with an optical viewfinder. I forgo to up-grade to K-5, therefore, I am waiting for Fuji exchangeable lens camera due out next year. I guess it would be a not-too-poor-man's Leica.

Last edited by violini; 12-11-2011 at 10:22 PM.
12-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by istabulus Quote
Hello all X10 fans, I'm just a new member to the club

What accessories for the X10 would you recommend?
I have the genuine leather case......love it, but it is mostly unnecessary and pricey. Some nice looking and much cheaper cases are on E-Bay.
The lens hood is a must....try to get the two part one, but the one part one works.
A good 52 mm filter, a clear and a CP are good choices.
An extra battery or two is a must...they are dirt cheap.
A 58 mm center pinch lens cap fits nicely in the hood.

Fuji Flash.......they might be handy if you do a lot of flash, but this camera is so good in low light I can't see much need unless it is for moving targets...as in children or pets.

Whatever my x10 wants...that's what I will buy it!

Name:  Lens Cap x10.jpg
Views: 7852
Size:  287.6 KB

You are also most welcome to post and comment over here, where we are trying to start a Small Camera Forum. Love to have you! Flickr: Small Camera Heaven

Best Regards!
Rupert
12-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Rupert, I have confirmed perfect flash synch up to 1/4000 with my Pentax AF200T on the hotshoe. Off-camera with my Flash Waves I have gotten it to work up to 1/1000 and a couple of times at 1/1500. I don't get consistent firing from the Flash Waves in this setup and it could be either tired batteries or maybe just that the system was never designed to work at speeds anything near that.
Mike, that is interesting, and I am very glad to see you with the x10.....you are a much more knowledgeable and skilled shooter than me, and I hope you can teach me (and others) by your example and information as you go along with the x10.
I just confirmed 1/4000 with my Pentax 360 Flash on the hotshoe. I have already confirmed that my Cactus flash works fine with the x10, so I will be able to fire my Studio Strobes with it when the time comes to try some portrait work with the x10. Exciting stuff!
Best Regards!
12-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
I bought one for my wife and she was very happy with it. She has been using Olympus 410 for ages, it's a 4MP metal bodied camera with an optical viewfinder. I forgo to up-grade to K-5, therefore, I am waiting for Fuji exchange lens camera due out next year. I guess it would be a not-too-poor-man's Leica.
Tell your wife to let you use the x10 and then tell her it is no good and you will buy her a box of disposables for her shooting needs. Maybe you will have better luck than I did.....Mrs Rupert didn't fall for it at all, and loves my x10.....but I won't let her use it out of my sight!

Fuji FF in a x100 body......Now that would be a killer of epic proportion. Maybe it will be a reality? We will see in the Spring......I'm setting aside $$$ now, I doubt it will be cheap. Fuji is on a roll.....both in their cameras and in their marketing.........something or someone lit their fire, and I hope it continues. I would love to see Ricoh roll in the same or similar manner...and they just might do it. Time will tell.......I can't really afford two systems, or the time to learn both, but I bet I will give it a try. If I can keep Mrs Rupert satisfied with plenty of spending money, it won't be a problem.
Best Regards!
12-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Took a while, but I figured out the deal with turning off the rear LCD while shooting: you can only do it when in AF-S.
12-11-2011, 10:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah.....the manual has to be deciphered....I gave mine to the Devil Squirrel to see what he might do to clarify it for me. He gave it back, said it gave him a headache.
Regards!
12-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Having read how horrible the manual is, I left mine in the box. Never even took it out of its bag.

I do have the Japanese manual, though. I may give it a look to see if the problem is unclear writing or merely bad translation.

I'm also kind of figuring out that though I am used to shooting in Av mode on my K-5 with my Takumars, I may be better off using S mode on the X10. With the sensor size, aperture not being where I want it is less of an issue than a too-slow shutter speed.