Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Why even review the X100 at all at this late date? There already are more reviews of it than you can count out there.

12-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Why even review the X100 at all at this late date? There already are more reviews of it than you can count out there.
Agreed. Any shortcomings that the camera may have are strictly related to what you like or dislike in a camera. It's not a sports or action photography camera nor do I think it's been marketed that way. If you can't figure out that it's a fixed focal length lens before you buy it then you probably shouldn't be buying a camera. It's a very specific camera. Most people will either love it or hate it. It really does take great photos if it's your kind of camera though. I'm debating right now between an X10 and a GRD IV. Actually for me the fixed focal length of the GRD is a plus. But that's probably an extreme minority opinion. I'm the person who rarely even takes the 77mm out of it's little leather pouch and has never been happy that Pentax doesn't offer a 35mm F2.0 equivalent. So for me the Fuji is perfect.
12-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fuji is strange in an entirely different way from Pentax. I picked up a F550exr ($175 in amazon's used bin) and am quite impressed with what it can do - but I do not believe that Fuji knows what it can do. If they do know, they sure aren't telling anyone! Great features can be discovered by reading hints from users online - some that are not even hinted at in their 'manual' (pdf.. boo ). It's a great little 8mpx camera, and I won't set it to 16M where users have demonstrated that its IQ is worse. Mine is set to medium image size which (apparently?) bins pixels in hardware and is not a simple software resize The DR setting is at DR400 (also hardware not software.. or so it seems??) and usually raw capture. It's absurd and frustrating that one cannot quite tell what the camera is doing: raw images appear to come in two sizes (?!?!?), and some basic features like ISO range or max shutter speed mutate when in another mode.

I have yet to own a Pentax with such frustrations.
But for $175 pocket-size raw shooter with tolerable 25-370mm equivalent zoom, I'm ok with the fuji - with the modifications found at the 'Nothing Special' blog. Sure am glad it's not showing the x10 'orb' issue that's burning up the pages right now.. really sad, and hopefully correctable with firmware. We shall see.
12-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was walking through the store, not particularly looking at compact cameras, and I hadn't even seen or read about the X10 at that point. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted the X10, thought "Wow! What the hell is that?!" and immediately spun around and walked back to it.

Walked over to the Pentax area, noticed they had a Q on display, picked it up for maybe 5 seconds, and thought "Nope. Not even a little bit interested".

After reading up in the X10 and handling it in the store a couple more times, I bought one.

I wouldn't care for a Q at all. No OVF = Not Interested.

12-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #20
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

What is it they used to say...different strokes.......I'm more interested in small cameras now than I have ever been, and I used to ridicule them all the time. Choices are good, and we have more all the time. For now, the x10 thrills me and more than meets most of my shooting needs. I would love to mount my Bigma on a Q.........I bet I could shoot Squirrels in the next county from my rear deck!
Regards!
12-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Here is the X100 mini-review and comparison. We didn't do a full review as what's had to be said others have already said

Fujifilm X10 Review - X10 vs. Fuji X100 Mini-Review- PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good read. Makes me sort of glad I couldn't afford the X100.

I think you must be right about the X10 shipping strategy. When I got mine it was the only one in the store. I got their last spare NP50 battery as well. A few days later a check of three major outlets in my town revealed zero NP50 batteries in stock anywhere.

(You have a minor typo in the last sentence of the review: "seach" instead of "each").

12-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #23
Pentaxian

You don't need to use the focus ring in manual mode on the X100. You put the camera on manual focus and push the AFL/AEL button and focuses in a snap.

The X100 is a love-it or hate-it camera. I've been shooting it just fine. There are really only a few quirks to it and they hardly stop you from shooting at all. The review makes it sound like you can't even take a picture with it because while on a tripod you can't get at the battery or the memory card. How tragic. And I'd take it over an entry level DSLR any day. The DXO Mark score on it's sensor is rated pretty good.
12-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
You don't need to use the focus ring in manual mode on the X100. You put the camera on manual focus and push the AFL/AEL button and focuses in a snap.

The X100 is a love-it or hate-it camera. I've been shooting it just fine. There are really only a few quirks to it and they hardly stop you from shooting at all. The review makes it sound like you can't even take a picture with it because while on a tripod you can't get at the battery or the memory card. How tragic. And I'd take it over an entry level DSLR any day. The DXO Mark score on it's sensor is rated pretty good.
I'm with you on this. It was a pretty silly review. I got the X100 shortly after getting the K5. I rarely use the K5. If I didn't have the X100 I'd trade my K5 for one in a minute.