Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fuji X10 Review - better than Q?

We ran out of Pentaxes to test, and this camera was just so exciting, so we decided to do a full-blown review of it!

Fuji X10 Review

Is it better than the Q? You'll have to read it to find out!

Also, in case you missed them, here are our Pentax reviews:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

today I saw the Q for the first time its so so so small you can not believe it until you see it , I was so impressed I asked at the Store (one of the most major once in NYC and the world ) , to try the Q out , the salesman told to not even bother , its a $900 piece of #$%^ toy , and that since they got it they only sold 2 of them. and that they are not thinking to even continue selling them for long BC its doing so bad. this is not your small neighborhood store we talking about here. I bet you already know which store I am talking about
wow talk about the bad vibe that this camera has, people are actually angry
I wanted initially to get the x10 and that's why I went to the store but guess what this one is already out of stock .
I might have gotten the Q today but the guy scared me . but if some how the Q will drop in price for doing so bad I would get it , bc this thing is so small its like magic
12-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The price of the Q will probably drop, but slowly. Not sure why you didn't just say B&H The single-lens kit is already down by $50: Pentax Q Digital Camera with 8.5mm Lens (Black) 15073 B&H Photo , but I'm not surprised that they're not fond of it. If it had cost $500 then it might have been another story, but I fear that we can only dream of such a price.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
Banned

There's a category 'Value' in camera reviews, that may help one camera 'win' over another rightfully or less so, but what's mind-boggling is that it's based on purely subjective, ambiguous, non-disclaimed and highly dubious opinion.
Although all other categories are subjective as well, like 'Responsiveness' and 'Image quality'. How do one measure responsiveness? Based on what criteria? How do photographer's skills and intuition contribute to a certain camera's approach? Can you exclude the influence of the measuring instrument from the experiment (human mind and skills) and make a wholly unbiased opinion? That's impossible because camera is made to be used by an individual photographer. Without the photographer, it doesn't have a purpose.
Overall, all photo camera tests like this one go against anything considered scientific today, because the crucial part of the experiment — a photographer — is strongly influencing the outcome of the result, albeit that most important category is not showed anywhere on the list yet is the part of them all and biases the whole picture.
It's better to scrap it altogether and make a sincere, scientific statement — yes, we are biased, and we think camera may in different hands behave differently.

12-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
today I saw the Q for the first time its so so so small you can not believe it until you see it , I was so impressed I asked at the Store (one of the most major once in NYC and the world ) , to try the Q out , the salesman told to not even bother , its a $900 piece of #$%^ toy , and that since they got it they only sold 2 of them. and that they are not thinking to even continue selling them for long BC its doing so bad. this is not your small neighborhood store we talking about here. I bet you already know which store I am talking about
wow talk about the bad vibe that this camera has, people are actually angry
I wanted initially to get the x10 and that's why I went to the store but guess what this one is already out of stock .
I might have gotten the Q today but the guy scared me . but if some how the Q will drop in price for doing so bad I would get it , bc this thing is so small its like magic
Those kind of comments get employees fired, and is very bad form for a seller to bash products they sell.
12-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I read the entire review....can't quibble with it, it was pretty much on target and fair and balanced. It was a review, and covered the technical aspects very nicely.......not a perfect camera, but pretty interesting and very competent...to a point.

The only thing lacking in the review, IMHO, is what I have read in so many blogs and more informal reviews.......maybe best said here in this blog (scroll down) Eolake Stobblehouse thoughts

This part hit home ..... "For right now, the X10 is my medicine. It’s actually the [first] camera in a long while which the most makes me *want* to go out and photograph. I’m not sure when that last happened."

For those that have the K5, I think they recognize the feeling....I sure have, and find it a thrill to currently own two cameras that send that famous "tingle up my leg".

I appreciate the review and the time you guys took to do it..... it is honestly appreciated And another reason why PF is a great site.....and if I can just stay here without getting kicked off every so often, I may eventually learn how to use the great cameras I am fortunate to own!

Best Regards!
Rupert
12-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

specialK I actually appreciated the store for letting know that the product is doing bad , and that the sell person is passionate about photography that way and not just want to sell.

12-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
specialK I actually appreciated the store for letting know that the product is doing bad , and that the sell person is passionate about photography that way and not just want to sell.
It's fine to point out the pros and cons and try to fit the product to the consumer. The comments you said they made are emotional and prejudicial and lack facts. That's all.
12-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

There is a line between being helpful and camera slander....too many times I have seen "Pentax Slander" in retail camera stores. Maybe a brief comparison would have been more in line......and maybe the salesman would have heard that the buyer was interested in "very small" and "high resolution"........in which case the Q might have been the best choice?
No one gains when sales are based solely on commissions, bias, or inadequate information....except the salesman. You reckon that salesman was thinking more about himself?
Regards!
12-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I didn't read to find out the answer because the title of the thread says the conclusion: Fuji X10 Review - better than Q!. That is not a question mark at the end.
12-11-2011, 11:35 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Glad you liked the review, Rupert The x100 is next (thought I can tell you right now we liked the x10 more, so you won't have to buy the 100 :P)

Adam

12-12-2011, 01:57 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Lens interchangeability is a pro to Q right?
We can't be sure if a fixed lens means its 'dust' proof.
12-12-2011, 02:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I had an X100 on order for months before it finally came out, although I never really thought I could live with that that limited single range, being that I love zooms. When they started shipping I had a guy offer me $400 to take my spot, since they were very limited in availability, and after a little thought, and some of the reviews I found troubling, I took it! I had some regrets, it has very nice IQ and large files, but now that I have the x10 I am perfectly content.
I do look forward to your review, I read all the reviews here.....they all seem more trustworthy than most places, and even if this is a Pentax site, you guys seem to keep it real. I like that!
Best Regards!
12-12-2011, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

"Fujifilm X10, The Camera Pentax Should Have Made?"

With all the complaints the tester had regarding making the thing work, it would have made an ideal Pentax.

12-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #15
Banned

Photos: Albums
I don't think the X10 should be compared with the Q. They're quite different concepts.