Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Getting an NEX-7!!!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Well after skewering the NEX-7 review and pixel peeping DPreview's RAW samples, I've decided that I'm going to grab an NEX-7.

I've been longing to find a single body that could accommodate all of my favorite lenses for studio and other controlled work but most of the mirorless solutions seemed to fall just short of what I needed. However the NEX-7 really seems to of exceeded all of my needs and then some.

Anyways, I'm really excited on putting this body to work. And who knows... if its as good as it looks, I might just build a working kit for the studio. I guess I'll have to see how well everything works with strobe etc.

12-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Congrats! If it works as well as the 5N you'll have a lot of fun.
12-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Congrats. That had been my plan for a while as well, but then I got sidetracked by another system (as you know). Let us know how it works out for you!
12-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
Banned

Get a tilt adapter for K-mount. Here's a description of the one I got for my MFT camera, but I saw them for NEX too.

12-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I will also suggest getting the K to NEX adapter that does work with DA type of lens. I bought one based on recommendation from deadwolfbones and it has an aperture control from 'Lock' at one end to 'Open' in the other end and there are five steps in between to adjust the DA lens without an aperture ring. And you can buy it from RainbowImaging store in eBay or their marketplace store in Amazon. The company has a number of good products and accessories for NEX.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-DA-AF-K-lens-2-Sony-NEX-VG10-NEX-5-NEX-3-Adap...950700?afsrc=1

Please be aware of few things:
  1. The K adapter is not small and likely double the size of any pancake lens
  2. Worse case of LBA can flare up as there are so many brands of lens from the cheapo Russian Industar to the expensive ones with Leica M and any SLR lens in between with Nikon, Canon, Minolta, M42, Olympus OM, Konica AR, Contax Yashica CY, Tamron Adaptall-2 etc.
  3. All rangefinder type of adapters as in Leica M, Leica L39, M39, Leica LTM, Contax G, Olympus Pen-F are much smaller in size

Tamron SP 24mm f/2.5 adaptall-2, FA 43mm limited, K To NEX adapter

Rangefinder as in L39 and Pentax Auto 110 are in the right side

Leica L39/M39 is quite small and so is Leica M, Contax G and Olympus Pen-F

L39/M39 and Konica AR

About the Konica AR on the last picture
  • Lens on left is Industar 69 28mm f/2/8 in M39 -- very small and thin like the DA 40mm pancake,
  • Lens on right is Konica AR 40mm f/1.8 pancake -- quite small, thin and lightweight on the Konica AR pancake lens
  • Konica AR adapter is smaller than K, M42 and other SLR by about 4mm
  • Konica AR adapter is still pretty big compared to rangefinder adapters

My flickr sets for your reference as my recent photos are with Sony NEX 5N and my learning blog on my signature. Please like my post for spreading of LBA pain and fun.

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-15-2011 at 10:24 AM.
12-15-2011, 06:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote

Hin
12-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
Banned

I was interested in the Nex-7 and 5N but I prefer my GH2 that beats them in video quality and has a much better selection of lenses like the Nokton 25mm F0.95, 12mm F1.6 & 2.0, 7-14mm F4 etc along with working great with my K-mount lenses.

12-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Get a tilt adapter for K-mount. Here's a description of the one I got for my MFT camera, but I saw them for NEX too.
How long has this adapter been around, and why didn't anyone tell me about it?!
12-15-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just started reading the NEX-7 review......very impressive indeed! I'm still not sure what is gained by having a small camera with a big hulking lens/lens adapter sticking out front...but for those that find it beneficial, the NEX-7 looks like the top of the line in small cameras.
I'll be interested in following up here to see what you do with your new camera, should be very interesting! Congratulations!
Regards!
12-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I just started reading the NEX-7 review......very impressive indeed! I'm still not sure what is gained by having a small camera with a big hulking lens/lens adapter sticking out front...but for those that find it beneficial, the NEX-7 looks like the top of the line in small cameras.
I'll be interested in following up here to see what you do with your new camera, should be very interesting! Congratulations!
Regards!
While the lens may seem to be big on the NEX, the weight is something that one has to try to have the right perception. My NEX kit zoom seems a bit bulky on the 5N but when it is mounted on my 5N, it is still very lightweight in comparison to a K5/K7 alike with a kit zoom. You can think about the reduction in weight from the body alone and go from there. I hear discussions on users forum with casual shooters like me who prefer to take the NEX with either the 18-200 or 55-200 over the equivalent of Nikon D7000 + the VR 18-200 zoom any day for its more portable weight. While the combo is far from a point & shoot or the well known Fuji x10, it is still a great step lighter than the dSLR.

I am a fan of your X10 and if I am not tight on budget, it will be on my purchase list as well.

As for NEX 7, it is currently too expensive for me to consider and some of my reservations are as follows:
  • Price and value justification as compared to a good dSLR like K-5
  • Odd auto-iso max at 1600 while the auto-iso max is 3200 in NEX 5N
  • I see poorer JPG engine as one of the negatives in the Dpreview and 24 Meg in raw is something the buyers need to be aware of
  • Color shift in some legacy glass in the wider angles. This is a minor concern for me as I don't have those outrageous expensive Leica glass.
  • Slower AF in dimmer lighting and in general, I find contrast detection to be slower but still very reasonable to use as compared to my older dSLR with K20D

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-15-2011 at 12:17 PM.
12-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Luminous Landscape claims the NEX-7 outresolved the Leica M9 on the same lens (Summilux 50mm f1.4):
Sony NEX-7 Rolling Review

I must admit, I am rapidly becoming a Sony fangirl.

Hoping against hope Sony will release a full frame "NEX-9" next year.
12-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
JHD
Veteran Member

I think dpreview nailed it...

"In terms of image quality the NEX-5N sits untouched at the top of the mirrorless interchangeable lens compact category. The low-light capability of its APS-C format CMOS sensor matches or exceeds what we've come to expect from the best of the current crop of APS-C DSLRs as well. Considering its sub $700 price point this is truly impressive,"

But I still hear the V1 calling my name as a possible supplement to my NEX-5 and DSLR.
12-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
How long has this adapter been around, and why didn't anyone tell me about it?!
See what happens when you don't sign up for my newsletter

I've seen it a month ago and ordered it on the spot, but I only got time to test it last week.
12-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
But I still hear the V1 calling my name as a possible supplement to my NEX-5 and DSLR.
Excellent! I've been looking for someone that can explain to me the reason for the existence of that system.

Seriously, what attracts you to the 1 system? I've looked at it and I'm not sure what its value proposition is, other than that you get a camera that says Nikon with a big 1 on its front.
12-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
I think dpreview nailed it...

"In terms of image quality the NEX-5N sits untouched at the top of the mirrorless interchangeable lens compact category. The low-light capability of its APS-C format CMOS sensor matches or exceeds what we've come to expect from the best of the current crop of APS-C DSLRs as well. Considering its sub $700 price point this is truly impressive,"

If I were you to look for another camera to complement your NEX, I will definitely go the route of non-interchangeable lens as in Fuji x10/x100 way as it will be 1 camera to do many things and without lens change. I don't think the Nikon label is what attracts you.

Cheers,
Hin