Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Nikon D700 or Canon 5D Mk. II?

Even though I have somewhat invested in Pentax, I have a nagging feeling that I'll eventually want to switch to a CaNikon FF camera. Or actually not switch since I'm not good at selling stuff, but rather getting another system on the side. I'm not holding my breath for the (once again surfaced) Pentax FF rumors and fear that even if the mystic FF Pentax should some day materialize, there'd be aspects that I'm not so fond of. But now the cameras in subject header are getting within reason regarding price, so getting one isn't out of the question.

But which one? I have no lenses worth mentioning for either mount. I have some OK M42 lenses, but not enough to base the purchase on. So we're mainly talking about getting just the body and perhaps 2-3 lenses (a Tamron 28-75mm lens is an affordable option for either, perhaps some 30-50mm primes).

Which one would you choose and why? I know some former Pentax users have ended up getting a Sony FF camera due to more possibility of using M42 glass, but after Pentax I'd probably want a camera by the bigger players (in this field). I have seen members like jsherman produce some really magic stuff with their D700s, but it's more about the photographer than of the camera.

12-22-2011, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally If I were to jump ship it would be for Nikon. I find their ergonomics better for my tastes (still not as good as the k7/5 but WTH) unfortunately with the Nikon your M42's will either lose infinity focus or have another piece of glass behind them. the loss of infinity isn't always bad though. The plus is there is tons of old Nikon glass out there you can use with your D700 and much of it is excellent.
As for the Canon, I've used and tried enough different canon's to know I'd never be happy. For me they are camera's designed by engineers not photographers. Pentax and Nikon just feel like they were designed for a photographer not an engineer (despite the many advanced options)

I'm waiting to see what happens with pricoh myself, I'm pretty certain the next year (ie by early 2013) there will be a FF option, but I've been wrong about many things many times

If you need the FF to achieve your photographic goals go for it. But if you are planning on getting the most out of the Nikon with their inexpensive lenses you may be disappointed
12-22-2011, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I have the D700. I love it. But if you want to do video definitely get the Canon. It's probably 6 of one half dozen of the other on the lenses. I think you can adapt more lenses to the Canon also. After doing MFT for a couple of years, I don't really enjoy adapting lenses.

I ended up going with the Nikon because I've used Nikon cameras before, I only shoot stills, and the big + for me was they still make a lot manual focus AI-S lenses. You can basically use any Nikon lens manufactured after approx. 1978 on a D700. Not sure on that one with Canon. That said, I have a friend who has the 5DMKII. I used it a couple of times. It's a great camera. The build quality on the Nikon is probably better though.

If you go Nikon you will definitely want to get the 35mm F1.4G. I just got the 24-70. That thing is really heavy. I kind wish I had gotten something else. I took it out hiking with my dogs this AM. I won't be doing that again.
12-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I have the D700. I love it. But if you want to do video definitely get the Canon. It's probably 6 of one half dozen of the other on the lenses. I think you can adapt more lenses to the Canon also. After doing MFT for a couple of years, I don't really enjoy adapting lenses.

I ended up going with the Nikon because I've used Nikon cameras before, I only shoot stills, and the big + for me was they still make a lot manual focus AI-S lenses. You can basically use any Nikon lens manufactured after approx. 1978 on a D700. Not sure on that one with Canon. That said, I have a friend who has the 5DMKII. I used it a couple of times. It's a great camera. The build quality on the Nikon is probably better though.

If you go Nikon you will definitely want to get the 35mm F1.4G. I just got the 24-70. That thing is really heavy. I kind wish I had gotten something else. I took it out hiking with my dogs this AM. I won't be doing that again.
Canon you can adapt a lot of lenses but not the old FD glass Canon abandoned the mount (and P*issed of a large number of users) when they launched the AF lineup). not sure how well they meter (and there is no CIF function AFAIK)

12-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
But isn't there actually quite a lot of M42 glass that you cannot adapt due to the mirror hitting the lens back (without shaving the mirror)? But like I said, MF glass really isn't a deciding factor.
12-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm not sure on the M42. I use a MFT camera. When I first got it, I got a bunch of adapters. After awhile I found it to be a lot of trouble, but that's just me.

I have gotten a number of Nikon AI-S lenses. I like to manual focus with the D700. I am extremely happy with them. To be honest even though the camera is really too big for me, I just don't see myself using the K5 anymore. The manual focus on the D700 is so easy. I'm sure it's like that on 5D also. The couple of times I tried it out I used auto focus zoom lenses on it.

I honestly think the Nikon AI-S 28mm F2.8 maybe be one of the two or three best lenses I've ever used. I will say without hesitation that the 35mm F1.4G is the best lens I've ever used. The 85mm F1.4 is great too, but to from what I understand the 1.8 is just as good for 1/2 the price. I also got an AI-S 85mm F2.0. Now that lens is incredibly sharp at F2.0. I actually like it better than the 1.4 and it's really small too. I'm sure Canon makes lenses just as good. I was really surprised to see that Nikon still makes a few AI-S lenses. They are extremely well made and made in Japan too. Honestly unless you are doing sports or something the D700 is like using a really good old film camera it manual focuses that easily.
12-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
At this stage, given the rumours that Canon, Nikon and Sony are all announcing new FF cameras in 2012, I would recommend holding off a decision.

For me personally, given that I can get Canon gear at close to wholesale prices and have a friend with lots of lenses that I can borrow from, I would sway towards Canon (5D Mark III) and the shorter registration distance means I could perhaps use Pentax glass on the Canon.

But I am rapidly becoming a Sony fangirl and anticipating Sony's new FF models with great interest.

Both me and my Canon friend played around with the A77 at the Sony centre the other day, and we both kind of fell in love with it - we both had to resist an impulse purchase there and then. So if Sony releases a FF that's at least as good as the A77 I could be very interested.

Then again, rumours of the new D4 and D800 are interesting as well. All in all, 2012 will be a very good year for buying FF. Like you, I am not going to hold my breath for Pentax to release anything in the near future.

12-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
As for the Canon, I've used and tried enough different canon's to know I'd never be happy. For me they are camera's designed by engineers not photographers. Pentax and Nikon just feel like they were designed for a photographer not an engineer (despite the many advanced options)

I'm going to agree with you on this one. Much as I love Pentax, I still think Nikon makes better lenses. But that's probably not a fair comparison given they two different sensor sizes. I do think Pentax will make a Full Frame but probably not until they get their lens situation straightened out. I know there are a lot of older lenses that can be used, but some of them probably really need to be upgraded. I also won't be surprised if they come out with something very different. Ricoh does make very interesting cameras that are very good. The GXR is a great camera. I'm hanging onto a few Pentax lenses just in case Ricoh does something really interesting.
12-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I got a good price on my D700 from a brick and mortar who needed to make a sale. I'm just not sure other than being smaller what I could possibly want from it. But then again, I shoot mostly in the manual mode so a digital K1000 would be perfect for me. I do think the D800 is going to run $3500.

I can't see Pentax doing a Full Frame before 2013.
12-22-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Has anyone tried the NEX 7? I just think bodies like that are better for APSC. My favorite camera is the X100. I use it more than anything eise. They NEX 7 is really intriguing. I've considered selling my K5 to raise money for one.
12-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Christine, I'm not buying any of the new/coming models since they'll certainly be price-wise over the top. But admittedly, even buying into the previous generation waiting a bit may be worth a while.
12-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Has anyone tried the NEX 7?
I have been seriously considering one, but it's a completely different game and approach from a FF DSLR.
12-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Has anyone tried the NEX 7? I just think bodies like that are better for APSC. My favorite camera is the X100. I use it more than anything eise. They NEX 7 is really intriguing. I've considered selling my K5 to raise money for one.
sonyalpharumors says there will be a hybrid FF sony next year that can take both alpha and e mount lenses and will look similar to the NEX-7.

I am also intrigued by the NEX-7 but given I am happy with the NEX-5N the extra features of the NEX-7 are not compelling for me. The EVF I will probably never use, the TriNavi is good but I actually have no problems controlling up to 10 parameters on the the NEX-5N using a combination of soft keys and touchscreen. The extra resolution - nice but I don't need it, and not willing to sacrifice the ISO performance on the NEX-5N. Also the colour cast issue on wide angle M mounts - probably won't affect me but I am considering buying more M mount lenses in the future.
12-22-2011, 02:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Christine, I'm not buying any of the new/coming models since they'll certainly be price-wise over the top. But admittedly, even buying into the previous generation waiting a bit may be worth a while.
If you wait until the D800 is released you can probably get a great deal on a D700.
12-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Well, the 5D Mark II is now selling for around $2k.

I am reasonably confident Sony will have an FF body for around that price. The 5D Mark II is nice, but lets face it the specs are a bit dated and there is no point spending $2K on a soon to be obsolete body.