Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #136
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Most likely the same "stupid" that created the x100 and x10...two of the top selling cameras in the world. I guess they want to make the same mistake a third time. Imagine having to go to the bank and deposit all that cash several times a day.......maybe they will take your advice so they can get some rest?

Regards!
THANK YOU!!!!!! I haven't laughed this hard in I don't know how long. I literally have tears streaming. My dogs freaked out because I was laughing so hard. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

01-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #137
Veteran Member

Fuji is up with the official site. They've posted some images from each lens. WOW........... As a full frame shooter I think they may not be fudging much on the IQ claims.

HOME | FUJIFILM X-Pro1
01-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The thing is bigger than I expected:

Via the brilliant site CameraSize.com...

Still interested?
01-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #139
Veteran Member

Absolutely. I already have the lenses pre-ordered and will pre-order the body at first opportunity. I'm not buying it because of the size. But that's just me. The Sony looks like a great camera but I only see one lens I would want with it. This comes with 3 lenses in the focal lengths I would use. But it's not for everyone.

01-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #140
Veteran Member

Yeah but, where it gets telling is when you compare the K-5 & X-Pro1 in the side by side view, not the front on view. Click here http://camerasize.com/compare/#187,258 then change orientation of both to "from the side" (sorry but I don't know how to cut and paste the pic like John has done above).

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-5 is 72% (30.5 mm) thicker than FujiFilm X-Pro1.
Pentax K-5 [740 g] weights 64% (290 grams) more than FujiFilm X-Pro1 [450 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).
01-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Yeah but, where it gets telling is when you compare the K-5 & X-Pro1 in the side by side view, not the front on view. Click here Compare camera dimensions side by side then change orientation of both to "from the side" (sorry but I don't know how to cut and paste the pic like John has done above).
30mm is just over an inch. That's essentially the grip that makes the K-5 feel so nice to hold and use. Ultimately, Fuji + 3 primes is not going to be significantly smaller than K-5 + 3 DA Limiteds. And the K-5 + 3 DA Limiteds are already paid for!

But if you really want the rangefinder experience without the Leica tax, the Fuji is currently the only game in town.
01-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #142
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah but, where it gets telling is when you compare the K-5 & X-Pro1 in the side by side view, not the front on view. Click here Compare camera dimensions side by side then change orientation of both to "from the side" (sorry but I don't know how to cut and paste the pic like John has done above).
Here's a side view - big difference:

Fuji is slightly wider, but much thinner:

01-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Here's a side view:

Yes, that is a bit different, no?
01-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #144
Veteran Member

And I might add the Fuji lenses are faster than the DA Limiteds by a good bit. The 21 which the closest to the 18mm is F3.2 not F2.0, the 35mm is F2.8 not F1.4.

I'm not implying the K5 isn't a great camera because it is. This is just a different camera. I don't really see much point in comparing the two because they are so different. The Fuji is clearly a specialized camera that's not for everyone.
01-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #145
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Here's a side view:

Thanks Jay!!

Just today I went for a "photo wander" at lunch, I tucked my film rangefinder (complete with a 40mm f/1.7 lens) into an inside jacket pocket..... thin cameras are so much more portable than DSLR's Meanwhile my K-5 & limiteds sat at home.
01-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Fuji is up with the official site. They've posted some images from each lens. WOW........... As a full frame shooter I think they may not be fudging much on the IQ claims.

HOME | FUJIFILM X-Pro1

What images in particular make you say that?

01-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #147
Veteran Member

Thanks Jay!!

Just today I went for a "photo wander" at lunch, I tucked my film rangefinder (complete with a 40mm f/1.7 lens) into an inside jacket pocket..... thin cameras are so much more portable than DSLR's Meanwhile my K-5 & limiteds sat at home.
Do you think the Fuji will let you do the same? i'd be a bit surprised, since my much smaller Panasonic GF2 + 14/2.5 will fit in a pocket, but it's kind of bulky and makes me look like I'm packing heat or have a manboob.

By the looks of it, the Fuji will need a manbag or murse, and one not much smaller than what you'd need for a K-5 + primes. I could be wrong though - pictures can deceive.

I guess that the surprising thing for me is that Sony has set the bar with the NEX-7 for how small an quality APS-C body can be. Now if only they could make primes to match. Until then, my ultra small setup will continue to be the GF2 + 14/2.5 + 20/1.7 + 45/1.8.
01-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #148
Oog
Forum Member

dpreview has a hands-on video posted of the camera and a Fuji product manager.

Ah, to shoot manually with this camera - left thumb and index finger on the aperture ring, and right index finger on the shutter speed dial. No toggling between aperture and shutter speed with a freaking button and thumb wheel. Cool too, a traditional shutter button, with what looks like threads for a traditional shutter release cable.

Look at FujiFilm. Still making films and rockin' the digital world. GAH I can't believe I'm saying that

/me looks forlornly at collection of Pentax lenses crying for a Pentax equivalent

Last edited by Oog; 01-10-2012 at 10:09 PM.
01-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #149
Pentaxian

Pocket stowage able can come in handy. But if the camera needs the lens stowed in another pocket because together they are too big, it means more long term stowage.

I think the X-Pro 1 can be rigged just like I do with my X100. You don't really need to carry it in your pocket to be convenient. Put on a comfortable neck strap on the camera, get the leather case and wear it low on your side while walking around. It is really out of the way good enough and deploys for a shot really fast.

Here is my walking kit. I sewed up that little green bag that slide along the next strap to either side. It carries a spare battery and memory card. Also on the strap is a cleaning cloth and LED light when it gets dark and hard to see buttons on the camera. I put the CPL filter and lens hood in my pocket.

01-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
And I might add the Fuji lenses are faster than the DA Limiteds by a good bit. The 21 which the closest to the 18mm is F3.2 not F2.0, the 35mm is F2.8 not F1.4.
There's also this lil' nugget:
QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-5 [740 g] weights 64% (290 grams) more than FujiFilm X-Pro1 [450 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).
Even if the XPro1 were identically sized it should be a lot easier to carry.

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
30mm is just over an inch. That's essentially the grip that makes the K-5 feel so nice to hold and use. Ultimately, Fuji + 3 primes is not going to be significantly smaller than K-5 + 3 DA Limiteds. And the K-5 + 3 DA Limiteds are already paid for!

But if you really want the rangefinder experience without the Leica tax, the Fuji is currently the only game in town.
The rangefinder comparison is overstated IMHO. Other than the NEX7 and the K-5 the XPro1 is the only camera in the list with extensive direct external controls and an integral eye level VF, both of which are critical for me. A tilt/swivel screen would be nice, but nothing's perfect.

As long as the Fuji:
  • Beats m43 on high ISO performance - (My beef with m43)
  • Has a stable of truly fast, quality, pancake primes - (My beef with Sony)
  • Is small/light enough to carry constantly (My beef with SLRs).
...it falls into a heretofore unfilled niche that works for me. If Sony introduces small fast pancakes for NEX it could make me reconsider, but for now the Fuji is the best list of tradeoffs for what I'm looking for in a "life" camera.